Oh No! - I'm on the plane

I've just seen that our friends at Ryanair are offering another service from July.  Apparently you will be able to use your mobile while in the air, see HERE .  Just when I could get a nice bit of kip (I'm usually asleep before the wheels are up) it's going to be back like commuting by rail.  'I'm on the plane, can you come and pick me uuuuuuuup?'  How long before all the other airlines follow suit?

Two ways to avoid it ...........mobile phone signal jammer .....looks like and same size as a mobile phone ....kills them within 10 metres .....20 metres the ones for the latest phones ........but they are over £100......or ......some ear plugs.. a ....box for ..less than a fiver .

A punch in the gob would be far more satisfying...[6]

At the very least an "accidentally" spilt cup of piping hot coffee on the offenders privates might serve to cut a call short.

Apart from the consideration aspect, personally I'd be too embarassed to use my phone thus.

Perhaps we could start a "boo the prat" campaign !

Nothing to do with planes, but a chic looking lady in a HUGE 4x4 came directly onto the roundabout and i just missed smashing into her, I sounded my car horn, she jumped and dropped the mobile phone  she was talking on out of the window[blink][:-))]

Nothing to do with Ryan air either...... A supposed true story :- fish restaurant in Dubai, you know the sort, fish tanks around the walls - pick your own dinner sort of thing. Usual problem, prat on mobile at restaurant table, loud voice, totally ignoring everyones wish for a quiet dinner. Brit stands up, walks over, takes mobile from prat and drops it in fish tank. Takes his business card out, drops it on table and says " bill me".

Now how cool is that ?[:D]

I like it.........................[:D]

Re jammers, apart from getting one past airport security it's use inflight would be utterly irresponsible as it could well interfere with the aircraft's avionics with potentially disasterous consequences.

You can be sure that the CAA know about these devices and should you survive the flight you might find yourself searched at the foot of the stairs and when the device was discovered be arrested for endangering an aircraft, I for one would assist in applying the handcuffs.

Spilling coffee and booing is a much safer option [;-)] 

chrisb

What you say is true in an ideal world but when some plonker turns his/her mobile on at 30000 feet and the mobile goes into overdrive trying to find a station are you putting bets on what it will or won't do? ( as an aside  I understand it Ryanair are putting a local station in on the aircraft to avoid the very problem of phones going to high power).

I"ve seen a mobile phone signal "try" to drive open the outflow valves ( not sexy avionics I agree, just trivial bits of kit, just the things that keep the cabin air in in the cabin  ) on an aircraft whilst at high altitude and it sure as heck caught my attention....shouldn't happen, I agree, but it did - perhaps a combination of harmonics and badly screened wiring, who knows.  Leave the darn things turned off on the aircraft please and as ErnieY has pointed out anyone idiotic to try out a jammer on an aircraft should be marched off in handcuffs.