Let's rip of the Brits

Strider

Why is it that us Brits just stand by and get ripped off? Looking at taking the car across on the train would cost from this Saturday for two weeks £254 return. The same train in reverse booking it in France return is £122. I wish we could all get together to boycott the train until they bring their prices down to what they charge the French!

[quote user="Strider"]

......... I wish we could all get together to boycott the train until they bring their prices down to what they charge the French!

[/quote]

You can do something about it, live in France. [:D]

John

not

The fares they charge are nothing to do with your nationality.  

If the train you are going out to France on is nearly full and the train coming in the opposite direction from France is half empty, then the price of the fares will reflect this.

It's called market forces......

I notice that m/bikes lovers seem to have a preference for  siding not with the consumers but with the "market forces".

Look at at those  postings where transport and prices are criticised and you will find someone with a bike as their atavar expressing a word or two of support for the "market forces"...

?!?

[quote user="Danglar"] 
I notice that m/bikes lovers seem to have a preference for  siding not with the consumers but with the "market forces".
Look at at those  postings where transport and prices are criticised and you will find someone with a bike as their atavar expressing a word or two of support for the "market forces"...
?!?
[/quote]

Well, that is business Danglar.  How else could a business in a global world survive these days without responding to market forces?  They would sink immediately taking a workforce with them?

Out of interest, are you a HGV driver?

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

If the train you are going out to France on is nearly full and the train coming in the opposite direction from France is half empty, then ...........

[/quote]

Then where do all the other cars go??? Do they never come back ?? [8-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The fares they charge are nothing to do with your nationality.  

If the train you are going out to France on is nearly full and the train coming in the opposite direction from France is half empty, then the price of the fares will reflect this.

It's called market forces......

[/quote]

Exactly, a sensible business charges what the market will bear. Far better that those who start off in England subsidise those who start in France than vice-versa.

Not a biker

[quote user="Danglar"] 
?!?
[/quote]

Of course it's not a question of preferring to "side" with anyone....[8-)]

We motorbike lovers obviously have a more mature appreciation of business economics than the consumers who constantly moan about pricing strategies, of which, their demand for product/service is the principal driving factor. 

Whilst I appreciate the position that turkeys find themselves in at Xmas time, I understand the reason why. 

I can show you posts where there were more than just one "biker" - by which I mean a member adopting a bike as avatar - replying in support of ferry liners' crazy prices.

Must be a coincidence....

What  I am saying is : how much is genuine in the identities of  many of  those partecipating to the forums  ?

1600 posts in less than 2 years for "Sunday Driver" !  That is more than 2  message a day, every day since 2005.

[quote user="Danglar"]

I can show you posts where there were more than just one "biker" - by which I mean a member adopting a bike as avatar - replying in support of ferry liners' crazy prices.

What  I am saying is : how much is genuine in the identities of  many of  those partecipating to the forums  ?

1600 posts in less than 2 years for "Sunday Driver" !  That is more than 2  message a day, every day since 2005.

[/quote]

I'd say that's the sign of a good contributor to the forum.

Speaking merely from my own direct experience, I have found SD's posts on a number of issues most informative. They have obviously often taken some trouble to prepare. Indeed, speaking as someone (hopefully) halfway through re-registering an unusual vehicle, I can state that his private message assistance has been impeccable.

Pouyade

[quote user="Danglar"]I can show you posts where there were more than just one "biker" - by which I mean a member adopting a bike as avatar - replying in support of ferry liners' crazy prices.

1600 posts in less than 2 years for "Sunday Driver" !  That is more than 2  message a day, every day since 2005. [/quote]

Danglar,

As a forum member, I find your comment on bikers in general unhelpful and unwarranted. I would kindly suggest you check on how helpful SD and other members

are both with their time and their knowledge in order to become a

helpful member yourself.

As a forum moderator, I should let you know there are absolutely no concerns whatsoever about SD's identity and only thanks for his contribution.

If you have any real concerns, please raise them by using the REPORT button on this post.

If you have no further concern, let the thread return to its original topic.

If the train you are going out to France on is nearly full and the train coming in the opposite direction from France is half empty, then ...........

Then where do all the other cars go??? Do they never come back ?? [8-)

Perhaps they are all left at limoges airport now that all bergerac is sorted   [:D]

Have you noticed the pricing stragegy at Ikea?  The same items are on sale in UK and France.  The prices are exactly the same in number terms but one is priced in pounds and the other in euros.

EG  We bought an item for £35 in UK.  We found the same item for sale in France at 35 euros.  Why this difference?  Is it really market forces or a simplification of the computer systems that the same number is used in both currencies?

[quote user="Thibault"]Have you noticed the pricing stragegy at Ikea?  The same items are on sale in UK and France.  The prices are exactly the same in number terms but one is priced in pounds and the other in euros.

EG  We bought an item for £35 in UK.  We found the same item for sale in France at 35 euros.  Why this difference?  Is it really market forces or a simplification of the computer systems that the same number is used in both currencies?[/quote]

We've compared prices for a range of things at IKEA and at the time that we did it, we found 3 categories:

1) things that were more expensive in the UK than France

2) things that were more expensive in France than the UK (yes, there were some)

3) things that worked out "about the same" (a large proportion fell into this category)

There did not seem to be any logic or system behind which were in which category. IKEA's systems seem quite capable of coping with different pricing in different countries as well as currencies.

Pickles

There may well be a sales history behind the items, which shows a higher demand for some in one country, therefore a high price strategy in operation.

It would be interesting to compare prices within € countries.

[quote user="Clair"]It would be interesting to compare prices within € countries.
[/quote]

Your wish is my command.

I only looked at one item, that I bought (in France) in the near past.  It is the Ikea Exarby sofa bed.  The good news is that the products are the sme name in different countries so its easy to find. Prices are as follows:

UK (lakeside)  79 pounds (=117€)

France (Metz)   99€

Belgium (Arlon) 99€

Germany (Saarlouis) 89€

The location of the shop within the country is irrelevant really, its just for info.  So, there's a 28€ spread which I think is quite a lot on such an item.  The last 3 shops are within about a 50Km radius of me in Lux so I know where I'll be going next time....... except there always seems to be a big problem with credit cards in German stores for some reason.......

We were looking at bedroom and kitchen units in both France and the UK. When we compared the various price lists the UK was always dearer.

Some display units we bought were also dearer in the UK.

Paul

You are ideally located for the search!

Quite a wide spread for this one.

I look at Lands'End UK website and, wanting to pay in €, compare the prices to Lands'End German website.

The prices in € are sometimes much higher that the equivalent in £ and sometimes just about the same.

For instance, a pair of shoes is £19.00 (=€28.17) in the UK at and €29.90 (=£20.17) in Germany.

But a linen jacket is £89.00 (=€131.95) in the UK and €159.00 (=£107.25) in Germany.