Maybe 1 day we will know the total cost of the airfare

I do not know what they wish to achieve by not being up front on their websites.

My preferred route is Gatwick to Toulouse. Look on Easyjets website and follow it through to the conclusion, having removed the travel insurance, to see the total price. Then to BA, firstly look at the flight with the minimum fare for the day I want, if it is not low enough abandon, if it is acceptable click to see if this fare applies to the flight I want, if so carry on, if not abandon.

Whilst I approve of BAs approach to including things they still slightly make it unkonwn the actual cost of the flight you want until you view the various flights on the specific day.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

BA's method does give you a quick overview of more dates than anyone else, but as you say you then need to check the specific flights for the day...........  I think in designing these things you end up with a choice of fewer steps but a much more detailed and potentially confusing (cluttered) screen which will take longer to load, or more steps but faster to load and read. Overall I think the BA one comes out ahead, especially as you don't need the second step on a day or route with only one flight a day.

I fly LGW-MRS and do exactly the same process as you with EZ and BA, the big plus being that now you get one way tickets you can go one way on BA and one on EZ and still end up at the same airport (LGW) so you have more choice of timing as well as price on the same route

Steve L 

I think the airlines are also taking the opportunity to remind us just how much taxes we are paying for the privilege of flying.

my emphasis added!  However, of course if there was tax on avialion fuel the balance between the taxes paid for other travel and that for air travel would be a bit clearer. I figured that to drive from Marlow to here in 84 Vaucluse and back, it's about £170 in fuel tax and VAT on the fuel alone. That makes it £85 per journey for one person, £42.50 each if there are 2.......  etc.

Steve

I find it breaks even at about 2 weeks.....   14 days or more we drive, less than that fly and rent is cheaper. Also we have to figure in that driving occupies a full day in either direction whereas air is about 7 hours door to door. But it does depend very much on the time of year, week, day etc. We're lucky in that we can choose almost always to travel off-peak. Also depends if the cat decides she wouild like to come too!

Steve