Glasgow to Limoges?

josa

Hi  - Whilst I live in Essex,  I have the pleasure of working in Glasgow for 3 days a week and from home the rest. I also have a holiday home between Limoges and Brive.

In the summer it would be good if my family stay in France rather than Essex and  instead of going back to Stansted from Glasgow, I could go directly into France on my days away from Scotland.

Can anyone give me an idea of the best way to get between Glasgow and Limoges/Brive area? - Any pointers much appreciated. JD

Thanks - unfortunately the train timetables don't tie in with the flight timetables even closely - I'd have to leave and have an overnight stay in Liverpool - I was thinking of possibly Glasgow or Edinburgh to Paris and train from there, but that seems quite a pain as the airport in Paris is not in Paris!!

Seems Glasgow to Stansted and then Stansted to Limoges is the best opriton from what I can see - unless others know better - here's hoping.

Scotland appears to be poorly served for flights to anywhere in France - very surprising!!

JD

Any flights from Glasgow to Toulouse? You could then get the train up to Brive or Uzerche or wherever, the station at Toulouse is right next to the airport, and takes only a couple of hours or so up to Uzerche. There are also flights from Newcastle to Limoges now - would that work?

You could do Glasgow-Southampton- Limoges with Flybe for about £350 . Pretty good connecctions on the way out, not so good for the return.

07:00 Depart Glasgow (GLA)
Arrive Limoges (LIG) 12:30
Wed 4-Jul
Duration: 4hr 30min

Flybe 883  / 1225
Connect in Southampton (SOU)

12:55 Depart Limoges (LIG)
Arrive Glasgow (GLA) 21:40
Wed 1-Aug
Duration: 9hr 45min

I think the trick is to return via Manchester instead of Southampton for a better connection.

07:00 Depart Glasgow (GLA)
Arrive Limoges (LIG) 12:30
Wed 25-Jul
Duration: 4hr 30min

Flybe 883  / 1225
Connect in Southampton (SOU)

15:30 Depart Limoges (LIG)
Arrive Glasgow (GLA) 19:35
Thu 2-Aug
Duration: 5hr 5min

Flybe 104  / 7280
Connect in Manchester (MAN)

• 2 weeks later...

If you get the first Ryanair in the morning out of Prestwick to Beauvais and only take hand luggage you should have time to get the 12.17 train from Austerlitz which will get you  to Limoges for teatime. I you book up far enough in advance the total cost is under £60 including airport bus and metro.

This has only ever failed me twice when the bus broke down and when the plain was diverted to Lille due to fog but there is a later train as a fallback.

I used to use this route a lot to go to Montlucon. The train from Austerlitz definately went to Limoges so I had to change at Vierzon. The trick is not to have to hang about at Beauvais waiting on luggage and to get on the first bus to Porte Maillot then jump on the metro.

Thanks all for your advice. I have to say I really am amazed at the lack of flights between France and Scotland - given that 10% of the UK population is in Scotland and there is (albeit somewhat historical) a link between the two countries I would have thought there is definitely a market for more regional flights to France from Scotland.

JD

Hi, i have voiced that very opinion here several times. Tried contacting ryanair about the same thing, there was talk about Edinburgh to Bergerac but that was all it was. I live in hope.

I looked at the link with Beauvais to Prestwick but bit of a carry on getting connections from Bordeaux to Beauvais, least wise that is what i found unless someone can put me right????

[quote user="Rob Roy"]the station at Toulouse is right next to the airport[/quote]

Rob Roy,

That's not quite true... unless things have changed radically in the last month or two. ??? The railway station for Brive and Limoges is Gare Matabiau in the centre of Toulouse but Toulouse (Blagnac) airport is in Blagnac out to the west. There is a shuttle bus (la navette) which goes from the airport to Gare Matabiau and takes around 30 minutes depending on the traffic.

Danny