Boundary Dispute

Jeff

I have recently returned to my cottage in Normandy to find that the farmer who has the land next to ours has extended his boundary fence by 2 meters into my property.

Two years ago we had electricity installed and the EDF box was placed against the corner fence post between us and the farmer. The new fence (that has an electric current running through it) effectively stops us from reaching the box. When I spoke to the farmer he stated that the old boundary marker is in the wrong place. He also said that when he originally sold the land he told the new owner, but he did nothing about it. The original sale was approximately 30 + years ago and the property has been sold twice since then, making me the third owner. he now wants his land back and has told me to have the EDF box moved. I have spoken to the person I bought the cottage from and like me they thought the existing fence was the boundary. I have studied the map that came with the deeds of the house but that does not really help.

Can anyone advise me  on:

Is there a time limit that the land can be claimed back?

Who do I approach to assist in this matter?

Jeff

Visit your mairie and ask to see the cadestral plans for the properties in question.  You then have the option of instructing a geometre to officially survey and mark the boundaries thereby ending the dispute. If you point out to the farmer that he will have to pay for this (he is the one who is seeking to reposition the boundary), then he may well back off and restore the status quo.