Eurotunnel money grabbing */$#%*

Matt

My wife tried to travel out alone on our frequent traveller pass this morning as I'm flying out next week to meet her.She was turned away and made to pay 155 pounds for a one way ticket because although the pass is paid for from our joint account I am the registered holder.She is now caught up in the holdups and has been waiting 4 hrs for her crossing.Do we have a case for reimbursement on either count

Unless the T&C have changed from a couple of years back, that is complete garbage.  My OH and I used to do that all the time and it was never queried.  We even paid with a joint Visa card (different numbers on the card) and asked in advance it that would be OK - it was.

May get something back for the delay but you have to complain untill blue in face if past experiance is anything to go by.

No case for reimbursement, I'm afraid.

Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller Terms and Conditions:

3. Use of the Account

3.1 The registered Frequent Traveller will be given an Account Number and password, which is personal to the Frequent Traveller and must not be disclosed to any other party. The registered Frequent Traveller must travel on all bookings made using the Account.

(Eurotunnel's bold emphasis...)

I sympathise with you Matt C but stop and think why they apply these T & C's.

Just imagine a group of friends getting together and passing the account number and password around between themselves: not what frequent traveller is all about.

The very annoying bit is that someone in authority couldn't have taken a view on this and not charged such a penal fare to someone who had very clearly made a genuine error. After promising progress this year Eurotunnel do not do themselves any good by this type of action.

I appreciate what you're saying but unlike a group of freinds my wife and I share the same surname and more importantly the same bank account that Eurotunnel take their money from.It wouldn't be hard to make it available to spouses or even joint account holders.

[quote user="Matt C"]I appreciate what you're saying but unlike a group of freinds my wife and I share the same surname and more importantly the same bank account that Eurotunnel take their money from.It wouldn't be hard to make it available to spouses or even joint account holders.[/quote]

Sorry Matt but that goes into the Too Hard To Do tray as far as the CHannel operators go. [:D]

Just out of interest how was it discovered that the account holder was not in the party? Were the check-ins manned? Usually if you use the self check-in with a joint card there is not a problem (We have used both cards dependant on who is driving). We too would like to see a "Joint Account Holder" situation brought back. Maybe we should all lobby Eurotunnel!

No different from B.F. Unless the FULL member of their Home Owners club is travelling,you don't get the full discount.  It doesn't matter if the full member is paying .You can pay a bit extra and get your wife a second card.

As one door closes,another shuts.

Regards.

The T&Cs are quite clear on this at the moment but this change may be coming - I was recently asked to participate in a market research programme which asked for views on different options for the scheme. Joint accounts was one of the options.

In the past I have found that an e-mail laying out a complaint in a non emotive way usually elicits a fair response from Eurotunnel. I've also found the service this year to be much improved but that may well just be luck of the draw.

I have just seen an item on the news that there has been a power cut on the channel tunnel, it said something about trains being delayed 5 hours and the M25 is blocked too, people have been advised not to travel on this route!

[quote user="Gastines"]

No different from B.F. Unless the FULL member of their Home Owners club is travelling,you don't get the full discount.  It doesn't matter if the full member is paying .You can pay a bit extra and get your wife a second card.

Regards.

[/quote]

Gastines wrote;

Priceless!

• 1 month later...
Just a quick update,today we received a letter from Eurotunnel explaining there position on the frequent traveller scheme and that there are no plans to change the way it works. They did, however,refund the 155 pounds charged for the crossing and as a good will gesture have given a 60 pound credit for our next ticket.Well done Eurotunnel,my faith is restored,and it only took one letter!

[quote user="Benjamin"]I sympathise with you Matt C but stop and think why they apply these T & C's.

Just imagine a group of friends getting together and passing the account number and password around between themselves: not what frequent traveller is all about.

The very annoying bit is that someone in authority couldn't have taken a view on this and not charged such a penal fare to someone who had very clearly made a genuine error. After promising progress this year Eurotunnel do not do themselves any good by this type of action.

[/quote]

And yet P&O, the original "channel pirates", allow you to make bookings available to anyone you nominate, if bought as a season ticket.........

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]

[quote user="Benjamin"]I sympathise with you Matt C but stop and think why they apply these T & C's.

[/quote]

And yet P&O, the original "channel pirates", allow you to make bookings available to anyone you nominate, if bought as a season ticket.........

[/quote]

Surely, companies are entitled to set the terms and conditions they wish (providing they are legal) that is known as choice just as the customer has the choice of choosing with who they travel.

Small print is there for a reason - not just to fill a page.

Paul

[quote user="P2"]

Surely, companies are entitled to set the terms and conditions they wish (providing they are legal) that is known as choice just as the customer has the choice of choosing with who they travel.

Small print is there for a reason - not just to fill a page.

Paul

[/quote]

No, no P2 - T&C are there to be ignored by the customer until he whines about their application. [6]

John

not

[:D]Iceni.  I must say I've been a Eurotunnel "frequent traveller" for 3 years now, and I had always understood, from day 1, that my o/h could not travel to the UK without me along for the ride, as it's in my name.  The print really didn't look that small - this condition is not hidden in the t&c's but laid out clearly when you sign up, and again when you renew. I think Eurotunnel deserve a medal for paying up here - maybe I'll give it a go some time....[6]

Just to be clear,Eurotunnel have refunded us the money for the shambolic way my wife and a many thousand others where treated when there was a large delay back in August not for the frequent traveller thing my wife and I so stupidly ignored! There,does that make all you holier than thou's feel better we've admitted to our stupidity and will serve due penance. Personally I couldn't give a rats, as were are now in credit by 60 pounds.