N154 Rouen to Orleans

briwy

Can anyone tell me what the N154 is like from Rouen to Orleans please.

Using the Saratlas site it appears to be dual carriageway.  Are there any problem bits.

Looking at alternative route from Boulogne down to 65 past Toulouse rather than Bordeaux

Thanks for any info

It's not all dual but the bit that isn't is not too bad. From memory it's about 6o odd miles and I've used it many times, often towing a big trailer, and always managed to make good progress.

It's certainly not bad enough to warrant me using a different route.

Have used this route for many years. Gradually improving as it's brought up to autoroute standard but still to my mind a long boring stretch of road (apart from the brief views of the cathedral on the Chartres ring road) but agree with Ernie Y that it's not worth using another route if you're using it to avoid Paris on your way south on to the A71. (especially once you have mastered the route through Rouen).

Brian

I have to say that I don't understand why people have such a problem with Rouen, it's not a particularly difficult place to navigate through.

Timing is of course vital and by using an early morning ferry (usually cheapest too) and hitting it before about 8 am it's a breeze and similarly, an early morning ferry back, means you'll be passing through after the evening rush hour.

There as been extensive roadworks just after you leave the A13 heading into Rouen ( going to Boulogne) for a couple of years , sure someone said they are linking the A13 and A28.

Otherwise the N154 is OK apart from Dreux and Chartres if you hit them at the wrong time of day.

Remember to follow signs to Paris (A13 peage) as you approach Rouen and leave at junction signed for Evreux.

[quote user="briwy"]   
Can anyone tell me what the N154 is like from Rouen to Orleans please.

Using the Saratlas site it appears to be dual carriageway.  Are there any problem bits.

Looking at alternative route from Boulogne down to 65 past Toulouse rather than Bordeaux

Thanks for any info
[/quote]

This is the route we were given by a lorry driver who is backwards and forwards every week UK-France-UK. He has tried every way there is and says this is the best one, and overall the cheapest for tolls:

From Boulongne sur Mer onto A16 south to ABBEVILLE.

On to A28 – direction ROUEN

ROUEN SOUTH A150 /N15 – south to A154 direction EVEREUX.

A154 to DREUX

A154 south to CHARTES – south on A154

Join A10 at Junction 12  - JANVILLE

South to ORLEANS

Join A71 south to VIERZON

Join A20 Junction 5

We have used it successfully, as have other friends several times. 

I've been doing this route now 5 or 6 times a year for 5 years. Once you get used to Rouen going south, and to where to come off the A13 coming north, it's not a problem.

The A154 is OK, although 110kph limited all it's length, (not that the French seem to take much notice), and then it turns into the N154.

It's dualled all the way to the N13 now, just west of Dreux, although there is/can be a bottleneck at St Remy sur Avre, it's nowt to get worked up about. Now THERE IS a place that wants a by-pass.

Dreux is a PITA, with it's many roundabouts, mainly because the French STILL don't seem able to use a roundabout properly, nor to signal. Also, many of Dreux's roundabouts seem to have been built without lorries in mind...........just don't try to take the roundabout in the inside lane to one.[:'(]

After that it's a mix of single and dual carriageway to Chartres, with more dual each time I go. More horrid roundabouts at Chartres, same things apply.

At Chartres is where I differ from others on here. I take the right turn off for Voves just BEFORE the one for orleans onto the N154.

At Voves I follow signs for Janville. The route brings you out at Allaines which is where you get the first chance to join the A10, although there, I usually stay on the N154 to Artenay, joining the autoroute there.

This bit of "cross-country", I find, means you've MUCH less chance of being stuck behind French artics doing 40mph. And if you DO meet one, passing it is far easier, with much less traffic, and less up and down to the road. I rate the N154 south of Chartres as pretty dangerous.

Yes, there are a few villages on my chosen route, but it's flat and good roads in between.

Strangely enough, the last time I used "my" deviaition route, the bit between Chartres and Voves appeared to be going to be upgraded, even dualled. It had both edges marked out with pegs in the fields, and the farmers hadn't grown anything on that strip.

Now WHY would they upgrade that road, which is a D road, and NOT the N154?