Michael O'Leary , how do you sleep at night?

LEO

Book in 1 bag with Ryanair  cost 7 euros.  = weight allowance 15kg

Book in 2 bags with Ryanair cost 14 euros  = weight allowance for two bags in total 15 kg.

not 15kg per bag .

example when checking in two bags ;

one bag weighs 11 kilos

2nd bag weighs 11 kilos

total weight 22 kilos ;

result 7 kilos overweight and £33pounds please or you don't fly!

He is not white slaveing ( or Slaving as I typed) . Nobody says you have to fly with him. Nobody says you have to fly atall. Airtravel is now very cheap in real terms . It is a choice. SAS had a serious attempt at getting Boeing to produce a short haul airliner with luggage storage like a bus so you carried your own stuff on. If he produces a fare structure that says I save Five Euros for walking onto the plane naked save a thong I would probably sign up for it

Sometime in the 80s I had a great fight with some jobsworth in Finance about cost of new socks and underpants. They were about a quarter the cost of Hotel laundry and and 5 % of bringing enough clothes from the UK. I was stuck in the ninth circle of Hell for about 6 weeks and even my nearestand dearest would have needed a five metre exclusion zone unlesI changed my clothes reasonably often

There are things about the way he operates like the crap treatment of people in wheel chairs which go against the grain but if he wants me to walk on with just the clothes I stand up in that is fine

Though I don't know M O'L personally I would imagine that he sleeps very well as befits someone running one of the few profitable airlines. His task is made much easier and his profits much larger by customers incapable of following guidelines on luggage weights.

John - who, thanks to others, can travel very cheaply on Ryanair

and

[quote user="LEO"]

My main point was ;

booking two bags on the online booking form is theft on Ryanair's part!

I have chosen the word theft ,carefully!

[/quote]

Theft? Perhaps. But if you want to bring lots of things, most of which are probably available to buy at your destination anyway, that cannot be accommodated in hand luggage then is the charge for doing so inappropriate? Luggage is expensive to handle and to fly and maybe should be seen as a privilege not a right.

I think the issue with Ryanair is not the charges themselves but the misleading way the charges are presented.  Certainly, unless you read the small print very carefully, the multiple bag options and their attendant prices suggest that you pay according to the weight of the luggage you wish to take - not how that luggage is subdivided.  Unfortunately, unlike the other additional charges, you may not discover the additional baggage costs until after you have paid for the tickets - or worse still after you have tried to check your bags in.

I agree re the disabled facilities - I use crutches and last time we flew I had to stand - and was required to wait 'til after everyone else had boarded (still standing!) to board the plane.  Another disabled passenger on the same flight was told she had to stand in queue and collapsed before boarding the plane.  She ended up needing medical assistance and a wheelchair to get to the plane.

[quote user="Eos"]

Theft? Perhaps. But if you want to bring lots of things, most of which are probably available to buy at your destination anyway, that cannot be accommodated in hand luggage then is the charge for doing so inappropriate? Luggage is expensive to handle and to fly and maybe should be seen as a privilege not a right.

LEO WROTE;

What is inappropriate is to offer ,when booking online,

the option of checking in more than one bag.

1 bag  at 7 euros

or two bags at 14 euros

or three bags at 21 euros 

when your total allowance is 15kg whether you have one bag or three!

anyone with a brain would put up to 15 kg in one bag and check one bag in.

but when the website offers you the option of checking in more bags ,logically one thinks, I can take another bag at up to 15kg,

If you book three bags online you are charged 21 euros and no excess baggage charge would apply ,if you have only 5 kg in each bag

Ryanair are stealing by offerring the "option "of checking multiple bags in online !

[/quote]

What's the problem.

Ryanair make it perfectly clear on their web site exactly what you are buying. I think that what various people who critisise Ryanair are really saying is either.

1/ I do not feel that I am getting the service that I think that I deserve even if I am not prepared t pay for it

or

2/ They for some reason do not understand what is being said on the website.

Ryanair, Easyjet and all of the other low cost airlines have enabled millions of people to travel where they would not have been able to afford it previously. This has been said many, many times but still there would appear to be a section of the populace who do not seem to understand this.

The quote about kitchens and heat spring to mind even if it is not really in the right context.

C

[quote user="Coppi"]

What's the problem.

[/quote]

This subject has been threshed to within an inch etc many times before. Most of us are grateful to Ryanair, Speedferries etc for bringing down prices but others are not and expect Bugatti service at Lada prices. Most of us are capable of reading and interpreting rules and regs, others are not and then, having failed, they trumpet their stupidity loud and long. So it has always been, so it will continue.

John

not

Whilst I agree with the comment that you get what you pay for there is also such a thing as the DDA in the UK which requires businesses operating in the UK to make accommodations for disabled people.  My experience of Ryanair is that they fail to do this.

I booked a flight with Ryanair this morning, just before hitting the "confirm flights" button (so before you have to enter any payment details) it says quite clearly

"Fare rules

... Separate fees apply for: airport check-in, the carriage of checked baggage (15kgs per person/no pooling), excess baggage - see Terms and Conditions for full details and charges."

Immediately below that there is a check box that must be checked in order to continue, that confirms that you have read the fare rules!

It's not hidden away somewhere where no one will see it, it's right under our noses.   Until someone else regularly offers the same kind of deals as Ryanair, I'll continue to pack lightly and enjoy the benefit of their cheap flights. 

I cannot understand Leo.

Any other airline like Airfance or Lufthansa - to quote the 2 I use most often - include carriage of hold luggage as part of the fare.  BUT if I take one bag or 50, my baggage allownace is still 20kg.  Why should Ryanair be different just because they charge a supplement for hold luggage?

It has always been practice that the allowance is per passenger and not per bag.

If when you measure costs you find they are driven by number of bags rather than weight why not encourage people to only take one bag ?

I have thought most existing airline policies remain a rip off. If weight is such a big element in flight costs which are not thin people offered a discount and heavier people charge a surcharge ?  Or at a minimum why is not the weight allowance the total of person plus baggage ?

Many airlines still have the trully daft idea that if you have a Saturday night away the return fare is cheaper.

there is also such a thing as the DDA in the UK which requires businesses operating in the UK to make accommodations for disabled people.  My experience of Ryanair is that they fail to do this

How?  They have full DDA access in the UK,  where that law applies, to their planes.  For safety reasons they only allow up to 4 disabled or wheelchair bound passengers per plane and make special arrangements for getting them on and off planes at foreign airports.  What more do you want for £20?

I have used and no doubt will use Ryanair in the future the Stanstead - Rodez route in particular. Yes I have been 'stung' for overweight baggage (my fault). Yes the service is not 1st class. Online booking fee etc etc etc. However cheap and nasty it is so I takes me choice.

Maybe others who decry the service should. I think it is c**p for al the reasons stated but I will continue to use the service as it is financially and logistically viable for me.

I have recently taken to Easyjet Bristol - Toulouse, more expensive flights but less driving in the UK and train Toulouse to Figeac. Hey its up to me which service I use.

So I suggest other mourners of Ryanair  vote with your feet and seek an alternative.

Hey I'm also 1 of the fat people, charge me more and I will want a bigger seat...!!! Nothing more annoying than seeing an extra legroom seat filled by a 5 foot 6 stoner..!!!

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

there is also such a thing as the DDA in the UK which requires businesses operating in the UK to make accommodations for disabled people.  My experience of Ryanair is that they fail to do this

How?  They have full DDA access in the UK,  where that law applies, to their planes.  For safety reasons they only allow up to 4 disabled or wheelchair bound passengers per plane and make special arrangements for getting them on and off planes at foreign airports.  What more do you want for £20?

[/quote]

They don't make special arrangements - there was no seating for passengers waiting to board and disabled passengers have to wait til last - making their wait longer.  I suggest Ron, that before making comments about the adequacy of disabled provisions, that you try travelling when using a wheelchair - or worse still crutches.  It will be a real eye opener!

When I fly Ryanair I always carry a rucksack (as do my girls) I make sure that I have my allowance ie 10 kilos of hand luggage , a bit less for the girls....after all it is not carried far, from a trolly to a seat in the lounge , then from the lounge to the plane, from the plane to the luggage collection area. I take one bag for the hold which I fill to baggage allowance of 15killo between the 3 of us.

Last time I flew ryanair was frm Malta to Gerona at Autumn half term........the announcement was made that the flight was boarding, every one stood up in line....we sat back down as it was apparent (we could see the plane through the window) that it hadn`t even unloaded its passengers let alone their luggage, 30 mins later and the passengers were still jostleing for possition with their backpacks etc .....no one HAS to stand and wait, you can sit there and wait as we did....we still got a seat. I had explained to the girls that we may have to sit separatly (but usually folks traveling singly will swap round if asked politly)  but it did`nt happen that way....we got a row of seats.

Ryan air......I love `em , they enable me to travel cheaper through Europe than I can accross Greater Manchester!

Read everything carefully , check or uncheck the boxes as aproprate and you will not be ripped off.

Not all airports have adequate seating at the boarding gate; some only have a couple of seats which are taken on a first come first served basis.  The staff supervising the queue at the gate and the boarding of the

plane are employed by Ryanair and could alleviate the access problems by being  little more compassionate.  By enforcing a 'first come first served' approach coupled with making disabled passengers wait until last Ryanair staff create great difficulties for disabled passengers which could otherwise be avoided.  If other passengers were more thoughtful then the problems wouldn't exist but, unfortunately, very few people will give up their seat for a disabled person.  In fact, on the way back from Limoges a few months ago, I even saw one man swearing and shouting abuse at a member of ground staff at Liverpool airport because he pushed a disabled person through passport control ahead of the queue.

Disabled access is nothing to do with the price of the ticket.

[quote user="andyh4"]

It has always been practice that the allowance is per passenger and not per bag.

[/quote]

True, but we live in a different world now and anyway, the fares used to be a lot more than what they are these days.

Now, I'm NOT taking sides in this discussion, merely voicing an opinion.  There are the extra security checks, there are the anti-terrorism measures, there is the hike in passenger numbers, there are tighter "slots" for take-off and landing.  I think the airlines are using the baggage allowance rules partly to discourage people from taking more than they absolutely need to.  I, for one, can understand the extra charges.

I've used BMI Baby for Birmingham to Bordeaux, same rules with the baggage thing, but I've always felt that I've had value for my money.

In the olden days (and I do mean yonks ago), I used to take BOAC flights (anyone remember those?) to the far east.  There were nice meals, there were at least 2 stops for fuelling, there were changes of cabin staff and people did come if you rang your bell.  The planes were never full and you could pull up the arm rests and spread yourself across 3 seats and kip between meals and snacks or ask to be left to sleep.  Very civilised but the costs!  Each return flight would cost the equivalent of nearly a year's average wage!

As they say, this is a whole new ball game.  You can choose to play or stand on the sidelines.  No one is compelling you to fly.  Indeed, I hate flying these days.  It's so stressful from the time you leave your home at some ungodly hour to drive to the airport to the the time when the plane disgorges you at the other end and you are left worrying about whether your bags have arrived on the same flight.

I dare say a Martian looking on at our air travel arrangements from outer space would have a confusing time of it, wondering why these earthlings do such crazy things! 

[quote user="Scooby"]

They don't make special arrangements - there was no seating for passengers waiting to board and disabled passengers have to wait til last - making their wait longer.  I suggest Ron, that before making comments about the adequacy of disabled provisions, that you try travelling when using a wheelchair - or worse still crutches.  It will be a real eye opener!
[/quote]

No it will not Scooby, be there, done that, sent the post card!!

So being met at a pre-arranged point, taken to the gate by an attendant in a wheelchair is not special arrangements?  Why do you need seating at the gate when you are sitting in a wheelchair ready to be wheeled to the plane? Why do you have to be first on the plane? 

If you get on the plane first delaying everybody else waiting to board as it needs most of the crew to get you on board, what advantage is that? You are still waiting the same length of time for the plane to depart whether you sit in the plane or the lounge. So you prefer to sit on a plane where you cannot use the toilet etc rather than in the terminal building where you can?

Our friend who came here several times before he died, did have to use a wheelchair at Stansted and Rodez and he had no complaints at all.  He was placed at the front of the plane on every flight and well looked after, thanks to the special arrangements made by Ryanair.

lets not argue with each other over who was treated worse or better! If you have a genuine grevance , take note of the names of the staff on duty and lodge a complaint with Mr O`Leary........And if you do not like the treatment you get, vote with your wallet.

Hi Opas

If you have a genuine grevance , take note of the names of the staff on duty and lodge a complaint with Mr O`Leary........

How do you do that, email? post ? or what !!

Have you  ever had a response from 'O Leary or Ryanair ?

Wilko