A quick way to Salzburg??

If I had to make this trip I would probably choose to go by train - TGV to Paris and then on to Munich via TGV/ICE and then on to Salzburg (about 12 hours from Poitiers) - details in the db (deutscheBahn) website

Driving would also take about 12 hours assuming there is more than one driver (check viamichelin)

As for flying you could choose Ryanair via Stansted or Flybe via Southampton but timing and costs are up to you to research.

Brian (again)

[quote user="brianagain"]If I had to make this trip I would probably choose to go by train - TGV to Paris and then on to Munich via TGV/ICE and then on to Salzburg (about 12 hours from Poitiers) - details in the db (deutscheBahn) website

Driving would also take about 12 hours assuming there is more than one driver (check viamichelin)

As for flying you could choose Ryanair via Stansted or Flybe via Southampton but timing and costs are up to you to research.

Brian (again)
[/quote]

If you decide to take the train and are of retirement age you could get some good discounts on the tickets.

If you were to book two flights i.e. Ryanair to Stansted and connect on to another flight to Salzburg make sure you have plenty of time to catch the connecting flight because if the first flight is delayed  it is highly unlikely  that a "no frills" carrier will make themselves responsible for you if you miss the connection.

Probably not a cheap option but try this:-

BA fly twice a day from Bordeaux (BOD) to London (LGW) and have direct flights from LGW to SZG.

If you stop overnight at BOD  take the early morning flight to LGW  I think you could do the trip in a day and BA would book you (and your luggage) all the way through and take care of the connection.

I haven't looked to see if there is a flight from Paris to SZG in which case you could take the train and then a flight.