Transit van peage

Aitch

I will be using a Transit Van for my next visit. It has a height of 2m5cms. Does anyone know if this will this go underneath the telepeage barriers if I use my transponder? I cannot seem to find the relevant information on the Sanef website.Any info much appreciated.

Aitch

No roof bars fitted. It's just a plain roof. Not even a roof aerial to worry about, so the height might just be borderline. I don't suppose that the autoroutes will be that busy middle of March, and it's our usual route but the first time with the van. I wouldn't have thought that there is a great difference between the vehicle height of the Discovery's and the transit. I suppose I could always try the Sahara method and let the air out of the tyres!

Aitch

Hi Weegie

No don't have additional roof bars - just those things that are normally there (I think!!)  As you can imagine its OH who does most of driving but he won't chance it as the bars say 2M and the little sign on the visor says we are 2.2m. We don't even go into underground car parks as most of them state 2m max as well.  Do you reckon we are okay to try it??  It's me that will get moaned at however if the bleeding sign scratches the roof!!

Fiona, My Disco is a 2003 model Series II.  The sunvisor note and the Technical Data page in the owner's handbook give the following: 

Overall height (excluding roof bars)  - 1900mm

Overall height (including roof bars)   - 1940mm (standard roof rails)

Overall height (open sunroof)           - 2015mm

Not sure if there are differences with the earlier models but with sunroofs closed (they don't usually get opened anyway) at 1940mm we have no problems. It does make life easier not queueing or searching for change etc!

(BTW -  thread drift - but was brought up on the South Side many years ago.)

[quote user="Weegie"]Fiona, My Disco is a 2003 model Series II.  The sunvisor note and the Technical Data page in the owner's handbook give the following: 

Overall height (excluding roof bars)  - 1900mm
Overall height (including roof bars)   - 1940mm (standard roof rails)
Overall height (open sunroof)           - 2015mm

Not sure if there are differences with the earlier models but with sunroofs closed (they don't usually get opened anyway) at 1940mm we have no problems. It does make life easier not queueing or searching for change etc!

(BTW -  thread drift - but was brought up on the South Side many years ago.)
[/quote]

About the same for a Series 1 Disco

Paul

If there is some doubt about the height of a vehicle, with or without added equipment, I resort to measurement. Park on a level surface, position a rigid beam at the highest point of the vehicle, use a spirit level to help balance the beam  horizontal (or just do it by eye) and measure the height of the underside of the beam to the ground on both sides. If you set it up symmetrically then the average of the two measurements will be a good answer to the problem. It is a bit fiddly but at least I was happy about getting through the barriers with 1cm to spare!!

Remember that loading vehicle will change (reduce) the height slightly.