Making the move - what assistance is there?

josa

Setting up a small business in France is not necessarily complicated or expensive. The auto-entrepreneur regime will handle most trades and professions other than agriculture and a few controlled activities.

The OP originally asked about operating a UK legal practice from a base in France -- not a very common activity and one that may well involve all sorts of regulatory hurdles. Even without those, I'd have thought that most legal work, apart from production-line stuff like conveyancing, would involve at least some face to face client contact. (I'm related to five solicitors, or equivalent, on both sides of the channel.)

If boredom is a factor then there are loads of charitable associations that would welcome volunteers with open arms. Plenty of human contact there.

Come over open a factitious AE business to get health cover ( you only have to pay in a few euros a quarter) and join the Health tourists on this site sponging off the French.

BUT hope that the Euro doesn't implode despite the malevolence of that strange breed the Euro sceptics on this Forum, because if it does and Europe falls apart, no-body depending on E-forms etc will have a leg to stand on..

So if I took my 4 ton digger there and my little tractor with grass topper, I could set up as an AE doing some digging, grass cutting etc and would have my health costs covered by way of the AE Taxes, which would be lower that medical insurance, even if my actual sales were minimal or even nil? Seems a bit of a dodge?

It is indeed a dodge but, for the moment at least, a legal one.  Afaik, the scheme was set up to encourage (mostly native French, I guess) people who were working on the black to set up properly and legally, in a simplified way.  Because CMU is now closed to newcomers, and Private cover is not available to the sick, some non-French European early-retirees have had to resort to this "dodge" in order to move here.  Whether the present government will get wise to this and impose different rules to prevent the immigatration of early retired European citizens, nobody knows, but for now at any rate it is an option.

[quote user="josa"]So if I took my 4 ton digger there and my little tractor with grass topper, I could set up as an AE doing some digging, grass cutting etc and would have my health costs covered by way of the AE Taxes, which would be lower that medical insurance, even if my actual sales were minimal or even nil? Seems a bit of a dodge?
[/quote]

Not a bit of a dodge at all. If the govt legislation  is so badly framed that is hardly your fault.

John