Building land purchase

Nicole

Hi

I want to buy a large building plot (field) of 20,000 metres and divide it into 6 building plots.

The geometre seems very uncertain as to if I can do this. He says it will have to be turned into a lottissment which I don`t want. He says I can only divide it into two if I want to build houses on it. So I can only build two houses and I`d like six. He seems to think I may be able to apply after a few years to re-subdivide the land and build on it then. Does anyone know if this is true ?

Or can I re-sell a plot of the six without a house on it and then the new owners be allowed to build there own house in addition to the two I`m allowed ?

Thanks

Nicola

It all depends upon what it says on the Cd'U. What does it say?

If it hasn't got a Cd'U then it isn't building land.

The obvious thing to do it to apply (or get the vendors to apply) for a Cd'U for your 6 properties & see what the DDE say. As to whether your last suggestion would work, again, it is down to the DDE - ask them!

Yes be extremely careful buying land to build on as the rules seem to change constantly and many plots previously bought as investments to build on in the future, from years ago are now refused permission to do so. As Nick says, you cannot just sub divide a piece of land into seperate plots and maybe not even into two,it all depends on the local CdU of which you can get details from the local mairie. You should also be aware of the costs involved to lay on drainage,phone,water and electricity before embarking as these are very very expensive and the local commune does not pay for part like they used to and certainly not if it is well out of the commune centre. There are also a lot of unscrupulous land owners out there stuck with parcels of land they want rid of and advertise them for building for which a notaire dosn't always know the local rules or has to find out either.