Dover major roadworks 3 march - june

pagnol81

Please allow extra time, at least 30 mins or approach via A2/M2 because of the following;

The Highways Agency is planning to carry out major road improvements on both carriageways and all five roundabouts on the A20 in Dover, from the Western Heights roundabout to the Eastern Docks roundabout.

The work is due to commence on Monday 3 March 2008 and is expected to take between 12 and 15 weeks to complete. The works will be suspended for the following periods:

Easter - from 1200hrs on 20 March until 1200hrs on 25 March
Bank Holidays - from 1200hrs on 1 May until 1200hrs on 6 May and from 1200hrs on 22 May until 1200hrs on 27 May
With the exception of the roundabouts, each phase of the work will require single lane closures during the day which will result in reduced road capacity. Between the hours of 2000hrs and 0500hrs one entire carriageway will be closed so diversions will be in place. When work is carried out on the roundabouts themselves, the A20 will be completely closed in both directions.

During the course of the work various diversion routes will be utilised, all of which will be clearly sign-posted.

The Highways Agency grades the anticipated level of disruption caused by major road improvement works, and this scheme is seen as severe, which means they expect driving times to the port to increase by 30 minutes.

If you have customers travelling through Dover during this period and would like further information, please contact the Highways Agency Information Line on 08457 50 40 30 or visit www.highways.gov.uk/a20doverresurfacing

If you are going away at this time, it says to allow 30 mins extra I would be inclinded to make that an hour

I predict chaos![:(]

Thanks for the heads up. I'm currently planning a trip which will fall in that period.

Typically we take the 23:00 Dunkerque to Dover and have encountered motorway closures and diversions previously which at that time of night don't cause too much difficulty or delay.

Thanks for the warning pagnol.

I wonder if it will be any easier going via the A2 to the port? Mind you I doubt that I will be the only one avoiding the A20 so probably the congestion will affect the A2 regardless!

I am going down to the port in the middle of March and will see what transpires. I fear your prediction will be spot on.

Andy