The "Francillienne"?

trees

It's the N104, right? What's it like to get to the A10 from the A1? It looks a little complicated around the SE of Paris? Any hints or tips? And it looks an awful long way round, too[:(]

Also, what's the N20 like southbound from Paris? It looks dual carriageway, so is it a shorter, cheaper option than the A10?

Not that I'm cheap, you understand, but there's Yorkshire blood in these here veins LOL

I have to say I've never tried it (the Francillienne).   But that's because whenever I've seen traffic reports it's always one of the worst culprits.

We NEARLY used it about four years ago but approaching Paris the bottleneck sign indicators showed it to have terrible traffic delays so we went round the peripherique.

We're wimps and go Calais - Rouen - Mantes - Rambouillet - Ablis - A10;   it's further,  it's a little fiddly round Nezel and the like,   but we've NEVER been held up in nine years.

So I'd also be interested to hear the answer to your query.

I have only ever used it if : I am going to Euro Disney ( sorry Isabel's Neice ) or if there is something on at the Stade de France or major hold ups round the Peripherique. Friends who used it for about four years up from the Dordogne said it was a bit longer, say 10 minites, but more certain as regards time than the Periipherique.

Hi

We have used the N104 many times to get from A1 to the A6 and in the reverse, generally it's been pretty clear but is sometimes very busy for no apparent reason. It has been congested around the Evry area in last few years due to road works but last time we used it, on a busy Sunday evening last October, it was clear. We have also use the A3 / A86 route and the Periferique at various times, usually on Saturday and Sunday mornings and evenings, some trips busy, some trips very little traffic. it just seems to be pot luck. Best advice is look at the overhead signs as you approach the various junctions and take an informed guess as to best route.

Good luck

Paul

Hmmm, we'll be staying saturday night at Arras, and driving down towards Perigueux, so wondered about the A1, Francilliene, then A10, or:

cross country towards Abbeville, then A28, Rouen, N154 as always when we come from Calais.

WE USE it each year to and from Limoges and have tried many other routes over the last 30 years and find the 104 overall the best despite being slightly more km(about 40) than the direct route through Paris areas.

When you leave after charles de gaul airport there are the few tricky problems of switching lanes but the last few years there has been  an improvement in the roads making up this 104,and no one knows when a shunt or build up occurs but at least it is free dualcarriageway and if you make a mistake then with a bit of map reading you can return to the route.

If you can afford a navigation system then it helps but even these can give you errors.

Returning northwards is a little easier as I follow signs to Lille/Rhiems then eventually only Lille to return to the A1.

P.S. THE WORST SCENARIO IS YOU END UP IN MICKEY MOUSE COUNTRY.!!!OR YOU SEE SOME INTERESTING PARTS OF FRANCE.

I once near centre of Paris was assisted by a passenger and ended up in a rubbish dump!!!!!this made the french workmen smile.[:D]

We use the Francillienne regularly to avoid Paris at peak times eg May and August holiday times and anytime we think we might hit the peripherique at a busy time.Going south we cut off after Charles de Gaulle and take the Francillienne down to the A6 - there are some poor stretches of road surface but traffic usually moves well.It might take slightly longer than the peripherique but not much I don't think and at peak times there can be horrendous jams on the approaches to Paris.

Our preferred route is to the west of Paris on the A16. Occasionally to avoid Paris altogether we use the cheaper ( i.e. free - I've got Yorkshire blood in me too) option of the A28 Rouen to/from Abbeville then Evreux, Dreux etc. The A16 is much quieter than the A1 with far less heavy lorry traffic. Southbound take exit at Jctn 10 (L'Isle-Adam) then the N184 to Cergy Pontoise, then the A15/N14 towards Rouen. Turn south on D28 to Meulan to join the A13 towards Versailles. Take the A12 exit and then the N12 past Rambouillet for the A11 or A10. We sometimes fit in an overnight stop in Cergy Pontoise and although the town is a bit "high rise", the marina area with a mixture of restaurants and bars is quite attractive. Seems a complicated route but using the Michelin Environs de Paris map 106 it all makes perfect sense!

Pete

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

I have only ever used it if : I am going to Euro Disney [/quote]

Its been 'Disneyland Paris' for some time now!!! (Sorry but it is one of my Bugbears along with Brits on the continent not displaying a GB sticker (if not on plate)!)