Important information for those people planning a move to France.

Clair

Having read SD's excellent exposition of the current situation, I understand it all now.

Afterthought - people coming here prior to 2004 had to have T/CdS.  From this year, EU people newly coming to France will have, what is in effect, TdS.

So what about people like Jenny and I who fall into the gap, the years in between?  Penny to a pound, the Government will - rightly - think of a way of introducing the residence qualification again for those of us who fit that time gap.  

As you say Tony, it appears there will be three distinct categories:

• those who have or have had a Carte de Séjour (CdS)
  • those who have never had a CdS, as it was not required
  • those who will be required to have a Certificat de Résidence.
I think the solution might be to apply for a Titre de Séjour (TdS).

[quote]Les intéressés ne sont pas tenus de détenir un titre de séjour. Toutefois, s'ils en font la demande, il leur en est délivré un.

vosdroits.service-public.fr/[/quote]

At the risk of being incredibly stupid, does owning a house in France but not yet using it for permanent residency make any difference to the new rules? ie if we were to  decide in the future that we wanted to move permanently would we be considered as "new" entrants to France?

Many thanks

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

So what about people like Jenny and I who fall into the gap, the years in between? 

[/quote]

We have certs of residence issued by our mayor soon after our arrival in late 2003. I just went in to the office and asked for them, no proof of income etc, and they were issued free, gratis and for nothing. No idea whether they have any legal worth but, hey, it's another piece of paper with a signature and an official stamp and you can never have too many of those in France.

John

This 'new' scheme seems very similar to that which was in force when we moved here in 2002. We still have our TdS, which in fact has just expired - perhaps we should renew it after all? Anyway, as we are both working and paying our cotisations it is not an issue for us, I assume we just need to keep working until our UK pensions commence.

Same as us in early 95. It was compulsory then to have a full Carte de Séjour and then when those expired we renewed them again. Our children took theirs out when they reached 18 as was required too especially with learning to drive and going to Lycée etc. Its a much better way of keeping an eye on people and stopping scroungers as well.

[quote user="Val_2"].......... Its a much better way of keeping an eye on people and stopping scroungers as well.[/quote]

I should imagine it's much easier to 'scrounge' if you have one. People 'sans papiers' have a struggle to get any financial help.

Regarding the specific issue of new EU residents having to register qt the mairie within 3 months of arrival...

I have just spoken to someone at the Préfecture du Lot and it seems the people in charge are currently devising the registration form.

It will come as a CERFA form, which means it will be the same nationwide.

The person I spoke to was aware of the decree necessitating the registration, but was waiting to be advised of its publication, which could take days, weeks or months...

I have also discussed the Titre de Séjour and have been told it is not compulsory but would be delivered if requested.

Titre de séjour is the correct name, as it refers to your entitlement to stay.

The name "carte de séjour" came about because the TdS was in fact card-shaped.

In the olden days (way before my time), the TdS used to be a stamp stuck in a passport,

Carte de Séjour were always the words printed on the cartes and it is only in recent years that the words Titre de Séjour replaced Carte de Séjour but yes, they are in effect, one and the same .

So not at all sure, that it was simply a name given, purely as it was a card shaped, Titre de Séjour.