Recent Ryanair Cabin Baggage Experiences

How are Ryanair staff interpreting the rules ?

The website quotes the rule on one piece of cabin baggage to a specific size. But what about a briefcase/handbag/laptop bag. 

Does everything have to be squezzed into one bag, or can an extra hand item be carried.

At £18 a hit, I'm not keen to find out at the airport

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I used this facility all had to be in 1 bag. I even had to squash my handbag (very small) into my single carry on bag. I think they probably adhere to their own rules to try and claw back some money on their so called cheap flights!!!!

Yes everything in one bag - and just for info, tinned foie gras counts as 'liquids or pastes'.  I had five 125gm tins (the smallest size) in my hand baggage (for my kids who adore foie gras).  All were confiscated.  Was given the option of checking them in but at £15 it was cheaper to buy them again when I take the car down in July.  Not sure how they expected me to blow the plane up with foie gras - or even open the tin for that matter - anything that remotely resembles a tin opener is prohibited anyway.  Damn waste - half a kilo+ of foie gras destroyed....[:(]

[quote user="Nell"]Last time I used this facility all had to be in 1 bag. I even had to squash my handbag (very small) into my single carry on bag. I think they probably adhere to their own rules to try and claw back some money on their so called cheap flights!!!![/quote] 

Yet another thread turned to Ryanair bashing.  As the man said, Nell,  if don't like Ryanair don't use them.  You know they only allow one bag as do EasyJet if that is not enough luggage for you either pay for a bag in the hold, fly with another airline or go by car. That will leave more space for those who appreciate the service provided by Ryanair and the really low fares.

[quote user="Scooby"] - and just for info, tinned foie gras counts as 'liquids or pastes'.  I had five 125gm tins (the smallest size) in my hand baggage (for my kids who adore foie gras).  All were confiscated.  [/quote]

My friend and I bought some of those tins (in a little net if I remember) and when we went though security at Limoges she had her confiscated but mine when through. [:D]

It also depends on the airport.  Luton do a "one bag" policy for going through security, but the Ryanair crew have never checked baggage at boarding time.

At Nimes, we went through security with a bag of toiletries no problem.   Coming back through Luton we had to put the contents in the clear plastic bags.

Prepare for the worst case (one piece of hand luggage, no liquids) and there should be no problem. 

When I flew last week the woman ahead of me was stoped and made to squah everything into one bag, not by the Ryanair staff but by airport security. I thought she'd gone a bit too far. I don't think they mind a smallish handbag and an ordinary standard piece of hand baggage which is what I had. This woman hand what I would have counted as two pieces of hand luggage.

Hoddy

When I fly Ryanair I go from Liverpool to either Limoges or Bergerac.

It is the airport security that maintain the one bag rule, I have a small trolley cabin bag and a hand bag. I am always made to put the smaller one inside the other,

But after I get past security I take it out so I have access to my personal things.

I then tend to buy all sorts of things in the duty free area such as books, sweets, magazines etc. and I usually have another bag to put them in.

When I actually board I have three items of hand luggage!

I have never been challenged by Ryanair staff, I actually think it is the airport that control the hand luggage, Why would they have all those shops post control side if you were not allowed to take the stuff aboard!

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

It is the airport security that maintain the one bag rule, I have a small trolley cabin bag and a hand bag. I am always made to put the smaller one inside the other,

But after I get past security I take it out so I have access to my personal things.

I then tend to buy all sorts of things in the duty free area such as books, sweets, magazines etc. and I usually have another bag to put them in.

I have never been challenged by Ryanair staff, I actually think it is the airport that control the hand luggage, Why would they have all those shops post control side if you were not allowed to take the stuff aboard!

[/quote]

Hope all passengers or not the same,or prices will rise again,to cover hidden costs.

[quote user="geoff"][quote user="Jacqui Too "]

[/quote]

Hope all passengers or not the same,or prices will rise again,to cover hidden costs.

[/quote]

Why is it when ever anyone makes a comment in Ryanair's favour some clever dick tries to under mind it with 'smart' one liners[:-))]

We flew with Ryanair this week and landed back this morning. I had an overweight bag (Main case) but we were just over (2.5K) and the guy at the desk mentioned it but did not charge any extra but did say 'watch your weight'. I had another carry on rucksack, which had a laptop as well as a few other items and they were over weight but not a lot, again not mentioned,  however some people took the peeeee and had well over the limit in the 'carry on bags' . No fuss going out though. On the return I bought some stuff that weighed more then 5 kilos so discharged some shoes and toilet items to try and bring the weight down, even asking friends if I should leave my towels. When we were at check in we we're amazed at the weight was just 200g under, so no extra cost. This being our first trip with Ryanair together, I found the stress of packing, and juggling a bit muh, although I will use the company again, I will load less items in my main case and carry on more. One person on the flight had a case so heavy she had to get the steward to load it into the overhead for her, if that had fallen out, well''''

On another note though we did not have 'Proirity Booking' but the passport officails let both go on at the same time so if you want to save money don't bother with that. We got a good seat at the front and even had a spare seat, although the flight was quite full.

Pays your money etc

The whole hand baggage security situation is quite frankly a farce.

For the last 10 months I have carried a tube of toothpaste (regulation size for hand baggae) through 6 different European airports and this has never been noted by security!!!!

Did I deliberately do this not initially but then what the heck lets see how 'secure' we actually are!

Latest trick amongst regular travellers are poachers pockets. Its possible to get as much as 15 kgs (in my case) in a lightweight walking jacket filled to the brim with mobile phone, MP3 player chargers etc. Pop it through the scanner hey presto.

At present in the UK with the differing rules between airports and airlines themselves all I can say is good luck.

John

Thanks Jackie,

Very relevant, as that is the route I'll be using next week. First time out of Liverpool and I've not ben through Limoge for a couple of years. I've been using BA and Air France into CDG and Toulouse for the past couple of years and a seperate laptop bag hasn't been a problem.

It's intriguing that the rule is enforced by security. I visited a luggage shop out of curiosity today, to see exactly what 55cm x 40cm x 20cm looks like - hard to visualise. They had a list of the cabin baggage sizes for more than 40 different  airlines.  Quiet a range of sizes. I shouldn't imagine airport security have the time or the inclination to measure every bag.

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin, I think there's some confusion creeping into the thread.  Airport Security does not, as far as I'm, err,  "aware", check compliance with each individual airlines' handbaggage policy. Airport Security enforce their own handbaggage policy which is usually based on their screening equipment,  manning levels and the whim of local management (which is why in the UK it can vary from airport to airport).  The various airlines' handbaggage policies should be policed by the check-in staff, failing that the gate staff, and the last ditch check is done by the Cabin Crew.

Rgds

Stefan ( a very very frequent flyer [;-)] ) 

I went through Manchester last week with a case that did not have wheels but was EXACTLY the correct size. Whilst entering the security area, a member of the airport staff had great difficulty understanding that I didn't need to check it in until I put it into the gauge and showed that it fitted perfectly. Whilst they do not generally check compliance with the individual airline's policy, they CAN check compliance with the airport policy (which builds on the UK/European guidance on bag size plus local policy on number of bags, since there are still some airports where the number of carry-on bags per passenger is restricted to 1). Liverpool was still rigidly enforcing the "one bag" rule at the entrance to the security queue the last time I went through.

Pickles

I frequently fly with ryanair from east midlands to either bergerac or limoges and i always carry a large handbag aswell as a changing bag for the kids full of nappies, milk etc.  Nobody has ever commented on the bags and as i do always have to stop and taste the milk and baby food etc(yuk) they watch me collect all my bags up and don't say anything! I think they're too busy trying to get people through as quickly as poss to keep queues down! (or perhaps it's just me that they want me out the way quickly as I hold everybody up having pushchairs etc all folded down and scanned!)

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

[quote user="Nell"]Last time I used this facility all had to be in 1 bag. I even had to squash my handbag (very small) into my single carry on bag. I think they probably adhere to their own rules to try and claw back some money on their so called cheap flights!!!![/quote] 

Yet another thread turned to Ryanair bashing.  As the man said, Nell,  if don't like Ryanair don't use them.  You know they only allow one bag as do EasyJet if that is not enough luggage for you either pay for a bag in the hold, fly with another airline or go by car. That will leave more space for those who appreciate the service provided by Ryanair and the really low fares.

[/quote]

Is 'Ron Avery' really Mr O'Leary - we should be told

Both my daughter and  I were a good five kilos each overweight at Luton last year and the check in lady never batted an eyelid even though we had the cash to pay for the excess clothing we had bought because it was cheaper than sending home here by parcel post at £5/half kilo weight.

I'm a frequent traveller on easyJet and bmiBaby (Bordeaux, Bristol, Birmingham and Luton airports), where you are allowed one piece of hand luggage.

I always have carried two pieces of cabin luggage - my handbag for the journey and a soft bag for the overhead locker.  But I make sure that there is enough space in the locker bag for my handbag, just in case I am challenged.  So far, I haven't been (fingers crossed).

What happens to all the nail scissors etc that they confiscate?

[quote user="Cathy"]

[/quote]

Rumour has it the Security staff have them for lunch......or am I thinking of the food and drink they confiscate?

[quote user="Stefan"][quote user="Cathy"]

[/quote]

Rumour has it the Security staff have them for lunch......or am I thinking of the food and drink they confiscate?

[/quote]

We thought that when they confiscated our foie gras[6]

A friend works in Malaga airport and in her supervisory role she gets to keep all of the liquids (read alcohol) that the holidaymakers suddenly realise they can't take on the 'plane.

This is the second year of this and still they don't learn!

She's had to invest in a larger drinks cabinet at home.  [;-)]

Recent experience is that you will not get through either Stansted or Manchester T2 security let alone past airline staff with more than one bag of any description.  While its quite quiet on the planes the cabin staff will turn a blind eye to a couple of bags but don't bank on getting away with it in the summer when the planes are full.

Last year, travelling out of Heathrow to Paris, I was carrying a tiny handbag and a waterproof jacket through security. The handbag contained a purse, my passport, keys and mobile. Nothing else would fit in it, just to give you an idea of how small it is.

The waterproof jacket has a small pouch in the centre back, and the whole jacket folds backwards into the pouch, at which point two carrying straps appear from the pouch as it's inverted, and the jacket can then be carried like a small backpack. The jacket weighs about 100 grams.

I was carrying the jacket in its pouch, slung over my shoulder with my handbag, and was turned back by security because I had two pieces of hand luggage. As soon as I explained, I was told that I should convert the jacket back to a jacket and would then be allowed to carry it through.

Nine months on, and I'm still trying to work that one out.