Do the majority of people in France really hate Americans?

I'm 18, currently living in Raleigh, NC and I'm planning on spending a few months in Europe before I start college. I would like to spend most of my time in France but I can barely speak French and I'm American, which I'm assuming might be a problem. From what I've heard, it seems like the majority of French people hate Americans. I'm well aware that Americans are hated all over the world (so I'm not saying it's only French people) but I get the impression that many French people really hate Americans, hate our culture, way of life and generally believe we're all fat and stupid. I once saw an answer on Yahoo Answers from a man from France who compared America to cancer and I recall reading an article once about anti Americanism, and the polls showed that 80% of people in France did not like Americans (not just the government, but also the actual American people). I would really like to visit France but I feel that because I'm American, it might be a problem. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this, but I'm not trying to start a debate or anything, just looking for some advice. Would most people in France be able to tell that I'm American and because of that, would people most likely be turned off by that?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most people that I have ever met, people in France take take others at their face value and treat them accordingly. In other words, Americans are not hated by the French. There are, of course, individuals who will test this rule, but then there are French people who hate Germans or North Africans or East Europeans or even (God knows why) English. Do all Americans hate French - after all, there was much publicity given to french fries being renamed Freedom Fries? There are American-based websites pouring vitriolic hatred against France.

In general, Europeans, and that includes British, regard George W Bush as an idiot and cannot begin to understand how a nation could have selected him as their president. They dislike what his administration has done to the world.

Europeans do not understand how a nation (or so it seems) can be in the grip of simplistic religion, or so obsessed with gun ownership that life itself seems cheap. But these perceptions are the consequence of the media images that America itself sends to the world, I know a sufficient number of Americans to be sure that they are just perceptions.

Provided that you do not walk around in a hermetically sealed American bubble, you will be accepted for what and who you are. Come to France and enjoy the experience.

You could contact somewhere like the French American centre in Montpellier for advice.

I have sent the URL in a pm in case it looks like a commercial link

They have been organising culturam exchangesand language learning for over 15 years

Emily

Pls decide whether you mean people in France or French people. 

If it really bothers you so much then tell them that you are Canadian - though that may mean that your fellows USAns will dislike you. But you can't win them all.

John

Emily - Congrats to you for wanting to take such a big step.  I was born and raised in North Carolina and I know the prejudice that can be found there.  Don't worry, you will love France and French people.  I don't know where you intend to stay, but that can make a little bit of a difference.  Also, if you are coming to stay in a French home (exchange type thing), they will look out for you and help you adjust.

I have never felt targeted by French people.  That is not to say that I have not heard many French people speak poorly about Americans (even with me at times, but not AT me).  Most people are careful about what they say.  There will always be those who lash out and cut to the bone, particularly on the Internet, where they can spew out anything in annonymity.  Don't let that put you off.  I feel more welcomed here than I ever did in my adult years living in California.  My dealings with French people have been a great pleasure - leaving off the bureaucratic side of it all.

So many Americans never leave their own country, yet they seem to have quite strong opinions about other countries they have never set foot on.  You are young.  Go on !!   Take the plunge.  I'm willing to bet it will be the greatest experience of your life and one you will never forget. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific or more personal questions.

[quote user="EmilyGA"]

Would most people in France be able to tell that I'm American and because of that, would people most likely be turned off by that?

[/quote]

Yes, they can usually spot an American accent.   No, they won't hate you for it!

I think the two countries have more in common than either would care to admit, which is probably why they have this love-hate thing going on.   There's a very strong American influence in French culture, from Lucky Luke to jazz, rock'n'roll, country'n'western, gospel choirs, and lots more besides.    Beloved President Sarkozy is keen to be friendly with the Transpondians.

Just don't try to tell them that you won the war for them.  [:D]

Emily, you've got time to buy a set of teach yourself French CDs (Michel Thomas are popular over here but there may be other favoured methods in the US) and if you are really motivated, you will be surprised by how much French you will be able to pick up before you come. Bon courage, come over and enjoy yourself. [:D]

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

Like most people that I have ever met, people in France take take others at their face value and treat them accordingly. In other words, Americans are not hated by the French. There are, of course, individuals who will test this rule, but then there are French people who hate Germans or North Africans or East Europeans or even (God knows why) English. Do all Americans hate French - after all, there was much publicity given to french fries being renamed Freedom Fries? There are American-based websites pouring vitriolic hatred against France.

In general, Europeans, and that includes British, regard George W Bush as an idiot and cannot begin to understand how a nation could have selected him as their president. They dislike what his administration has done to the world.

Europeans do not understand how a nation (or so it seems) can be in the grip of simplistic religion, or so obsessed with gun ownership that life itself seems cheap. But these perceptions are the consequence of the media images that America itself sends to the world, I know a sufficient number of Americans to be sure that they are just perceptions.

Provided that you do not walk around in a hermetically sealed American bubble, you will be accepted for what and who you are. Come to France and enjoy the experience.

[/quote]

You are right that there was publicity given to French fries being renamed "freedom fries" but there was also publicity given to some of the nasty things that people in France were saying about Americans, so I think it goes both ways, but obviously not all Americans hate people in France and obviously not all people in France hate Americans.

As for George W. Bush, there are lot's of Americans who don't like him. So many people are turning out to vote in the primaries for the Democrats because many people want change, and for the record, not all Americans voted for Bush. I was only a young teen when he was first elected, it's not like I had any say in it, so I don't think it's fair to involve politics with other people just because of their nationality or hold them responsible for something that they can't control. It's ridiculous to generalize over 300 million people and assume they're all right wing conservatives who have a gun collection. I'm a very liberal person, I even have a feminist bumper sticker on my car, but I am a Christian so I guess I'm in the grip of "simplistic religion" and I do agree with the second amendment, but it's my right as an American to agree or disagree with our constitution and I don't go around shoving my opinions down other peoples throats. I know lot's of atheists and many of my friends are against the second amendment, but I'm not preaching my opinions to them or anything like that, and I don't plan to do that anywhere else.

I think it would be nice if people simply looked at other people as fellow humans instead of assuming things about them based on where they come from. I don't think I should be hated just because I reside in the geographical region identified as the United States, but I guess it doesn't work that way.  Iceni's post is a great example of how too many people judge people based on nationality. I think it's extremely ignorant if Americans are telling people they're Canadians (and I think it's ignorant to suggest that), I know a lot of Canadians who would be offended by that.

I appreciate the advice everyone has given me and I will check out the Americans in France website that was mentioned before. I'm sure I will still be worrying about what other people are thinking of me when I'm in Europe, I suppose that's narcissistic, but I've always been self conscious. Being self conscious about being American will certainly be a new experience.

[quote user="EmilyGA"]

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

[/quote]

I think it's extremely ignorant if Americans are telling people they're Canadians (and I think it's ignorant to suggest that), I know a lot of Canadians who would be offended by that. [/quote]

When I was backpacking around the world (and that story could be for another thread), I learned from experience that if you heard an American accent, you would ask the person if they were Canadian because a Canadian would be offended to be called American but an American wouldn't be offended to be called Canadian.  (Can you follow this?!)  Similarly with Australians and New Zealanders.

Closer to home, round here in the South West with its rugby traditions, the Welsh (e.g. my husband) get a lot more respect than the English.

[quote user="Cathy"]

When I was backpacking around the world (and that story could be for another thread), I learned from experience that if you heard an American accent, you would ask the person if they were Canadian because a Canadian would be offended to be called American but an American wouldn't be offended to be called Canadian.  (Can you follow this?!)  Similarly with Australians and New Zealanders.

Closer to home, round here in the South West with its rugby traditions, the Welsh (e.g. my husband) get a lot more respect than the English.

[/quote]

Well, if someone asks me if I'm Canadian, I'll simply tell them I'm an American.

Be pleasant to the French and they will be nice to you.

But if you still want reassurance, go to Avranches (western Normandy, near the coast), mention General Patton - travel roughly east through Mortain towards Falaise, saying the same, particularly when you see the monuments to various small groups of American WW2 heroes. That should show how Americans are really received in at least one part of France.

" I'm sure I will still be worrying about what other people are thinking of me when I'm in Europe, I suppose that's narcissistic, but I've always been self conscious. Being self conscious about being American will certainly be a new experience. "

Emily, stop worrying about what others may or may not think of you and your country. If you want to come to France, come to France. If you meet what you perceive as prejudice move on, it's a big country (though perhaps not as big as Texas [:)]). Possibly best to avoid the Dordogne, that's full of English - and they really do dislike USAns [6]

John 

[quote user="EmilyGA"]

I even have a feminist bumper sticker on my car, but I am a Christian

[/quote]

France is  predominantly Christian (overwhelmingly Catholics, with a few Protestants). It also boasts the largest Muslim and Jewish population in Europe - and a smattering of Buddhists.

There are definitely more Christians than there are feminists in la Belle France, although one might have to argue over a definition  for both "Christian" and  "feminist".

[quote user="Iceni"]

Possibly best to avoid the Dordogne, that's full of English - and they really do dislike USAns [6]

John 

[/quote]

Is that really true, do the English (in Dordogne) really dislike Americans, or is it that they, like many Americans, dislike the American Govt policy.

I have never met an American that I disliked, on a personal level, but then again I dont live in the Dordogne, maybe its something in the water. [:P]

"Possibly best to avoid the Dordogne, that's full of English - and they really do dislike USAns "

I suspect a lighthearted generalisation. But I would qualify it by saying that the kind of British who might "dislike USAns " are the tabloid readers and these are few and far between in France.

[quote user="Renaud"]

...are the tabloid readers and these are few and far between in France.

[/quote]

That may be a regional perception because I have the impression that there are plenty of tabloid readers... and I'm thinking "red tops"... in Basse Normandy. Unfortunately. [6]

[quote user="Will"]

Be pleasant to the French and they will be nice to you.

But if you still want reassurance, go to Avranches (western Normandy, near the coast), mention General Patton - travel roughly east through Mortain towards Falaise, saying the same, particularly when you see the monuments to various small groups of American WW2 heroes. That should show how Americans are really received in at least one part of France.

[/quote]

Indeed.  They'll probably ask you your opinion of George Bush, as we were recently asked what we thought of Carla (Mme Sarkozy) during their visit to Windsor.  As already said, it is more an antagonism towards the govt policies, rather than Americans in general, and their knowledge of any politicians other than the big-wigs (eg Tony Blair, but none of the Cabinet), is no more than the Americans' or British knowledge (except on thhis forum, of course) of French politicians.  If you try to speak a little French, and are pleasant, saying bonjour etc, they'll take you as you are.  You will likely find as many biased French people as you would find biased people in any country, but if you find them, just say, je ne comprends pas, shrug and move on.  Much the most sensible thing to do.

Powerdesal: Why would the "Tabloidists" dislike Americans more than the "Guardianistas" or the "telegraphists" ?

I regret my earlier posting disparaging tabloid readers. Stupid to generalise like that, my point was that most anti-Americanism is encouraged by lazy people in the tabloid media finding an easy target in people who aren't exactly like themselves.

I agree that Guardianistas (and therefore BBC journalists) dislike the USA on principle. What principle it is hard to say other that the 'make it happen' culture in the antithesis of the grunidad 'we are all guilty*' school of paralysis. Though most grunidad readers I know are pleasant types who have nothing against individual Americans.

The Telegraph and Telegraphists such as myself have no trouble with the USA or Americans though perhaps saddened by the collateral damage caused by Bush/Cheney/Rumsfelt bull-in-a-china-shop foreign policy.

* A quote from a Peter Simple trendy vicar that describes an attitude of mind.

• 1 month later...

I've travelled all over the world and I have found that Americans are virtually universally unpopular.  However, in reality it's the idea of America - its politics, perceived cultural attitudes and brashness that is disliked, rather than Americans themselves.  I have encountered few places where there has been resentment on a personal level towards Americans just for being American. 

It's also true that Americans are regarded as stupid.  They're not of course but large numbers are unbelievably ignorant of the rest of the world.  However, the minority who do possess a passport will quickly overcome that perception.

I have personally found Americans to be amongst the most openly friendly and hospitable people anywhere.