the end of the Rosyth - Zeebrugge ferry.

From the Superfast website...

We regret to announce the discontinuation of the Rosyth to Zeebrugge ferry service as of 14th September, 2008. The last crossing will take place from Rosyth on 13th September, 2008 arriving in Zeebrugge the following morning......

Well, that fairly screws me up. Aberdeen to southern France by car means either this ferry or a very long drive through UK (aberdeen to Hull is 600kms, or aberdeen to dover is 950 kms) to get to another ferry port before the long drive through France.

HAs anyone heard any possibilities of other operators taking the route over?

...and they've picked my birthday to do it on, as well!

When it was announced (a few days ago), assorted Government Ministers/spokesmen said "We are looking at other . .....blah blah blah". Call me a cynic, but don't hold your breath.

Somehow, I doubt we'll see it replaced. Casual users like you and I are the cream on the cake - it relies on freight traffic to pay the bills, and they've not been using it as much as the shipping line would like. Plus, the long journey uses a lot of fuel, now a very expensive commodity. Which means, even if it survives (or another takes its place), prices will rise.

• 1 month later...
Update - rather vague unfortunately because I threw the paper away a few days ago.  An Aberdeen businessman is planning to take over with his own ferry company and reckons he can get a boat organised within 2 weeks of the closure - its being prepared at the moment.  He needs 30% funded by a grant which he is certain he will receive.  Cant remember much more than that but he already has ferries in the Islands and is applying for a second 30% grant for another route too.  Fingers crossed it will be affordable!  I tried to get my boss booked on the Superfast ferry before it stops and its pretty much booked up on the way out and full on the way back so people are obviously using it.  Quoted me about £650 for towing a large boat and a basic cabin one way!!

[quote user="Will"]

The information is here: http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/articles/1/25169

No more news since then, though I did hear that the European Commission was prepared to assist.

It also seems to have been largely overlooked that the LD Lines service between Le Havre and Newhaven is stopping, permanently, in September.

[/quote]

hi will

where did you hear about the newhaven / le havre ferry stopping permanently

As editor of a shipping magazine, one gets to hear about these things. But it is more or less confirmed on LD Lines' own web site http://www.ldlines.co.uk/news.html (second story down at present, though it is worded a bit ambiguously).

Edit - if you read 'Pierre's blog' on the LD Lines web site you will notice that the company has confirmed that this route is not profitable and is being suspended, in view of the fact that the second ferry will arrive on the Portsmouth route later in the year.

Pity - I used that route several times.