Holiday Home

Richard

Hi everyone, just found this forum and must say it looks very helpful.

We are in the process of buying a holiday home  in Vieil Hesdin , initial contracts are signed and we hope to complete mid December.

My question, probably the first of many, is........what do we have to do about registering for "council tax" or the equivalent there? We will have some building work to do, and don't expect the house to be properly useable for at least six months.

Also, any other forum user in the area of Hesdin?

Thnaks

Richard

[quote user="jc"]You don't have to register-they'll catch up with you-remember the Notaire registers the transaction.but you will need to contact the electricity and water people and possibly telephone.[/quote]

Often this will be part of the service offered by the agent.

Paul

Our estate agent sorted out our water bill by ringing them and giving them our name address and meter reading, he also rang the electric people and set up a standing order for us in our bank. Plus help me with the french I needed to go to the Public Tresor to give them our UK address to send our bills,(Richard you might want to pop in to the PT office and make sure they know where to send your bills) He also gave us advice and help with lots of other things, I still pop in every now and again with the odd question as he is on our way into town and hes always helpful,

Never paid him a penny for any of these services, but we did pop in with a bottle of wine to say thanks when we picked up the keys to our house. 

Good luck with your new place Richard hope it all goes well 

[quote user="jc"]For money!![/quote]

I've never heard of anyone (stupid enough) to pay an estate agent for this service after all they do get a fair bit out of the transaction in the first place, most are very willing to do this service in my experience.  Perhaps you were refferring to one of the 'relocation' services??