ryan air check in

Hi

Does anyone know why Limoges airport make you check in at a 'Check & Go' desk, when you have already checked in on line, you used to be able to just go through and show your on line print out. You can still do this at other airports. Last week the check in desk had nobody queing and the 'check and go' desk had a big queue???????????

Does not make sense I thought the idea of checking in on line was to avoid you queing at the airport???

Julie

On a couple of occassions I've seen people at the gate explaining to the ryanair crew that they checked in online, so why did they need to print anything !! Seems that security at the scanner were only checking that the individuals were not a security threat, not that they had a ticket for the flight. Rather undermines the whole point of online check-in.

Another oddity of Limoge security - I was travelling with someone who had a small pair of nail clippers in their baggage. Security snapped the little metal nail file portion off and gave them the rest of the clippers back.    

[quote user="Atty"]A recent guest emailed us to say that security at Limoges confiscated a sealed tin of Confit from them.............probably wanted it for his tea [:D][/quote]

[quote user="Barbel Bob"]A recent guest of ours got his foie gras sealed in a tin also confiscated?? They will all be fat!!!  I suppose it can look like semtex though !!![/quote]

It looks like they are doing a good security check, it is better to be safe than sorry. If you do not want to have items confiscated then put it in your hold luggage, that is the downside of air travel today.

Barry

I agree Baz,

I did warn the guest when he packed a bottle of wine and the foie gras in his hand luggage but he only took the wine out thinking the other would be ok! He was sorry!!

Better to be safe, i am terrified of flying so the more security checks the better!!!

Still no answer to the 'Check i& Go' question though????????

You are not able to just "go through" at any airport.  All on line check in does is remove the need to queue up and check in at the airport desk and get a boarding pass.  At all airports you still have to go through security.  With an on-line pass you go straight to security and show it, not just go through it and you still have to show your boarding pass at the gate to Ryanair staff before walking to the plane.

Hi Ron,

I know that, my question is why is it different now at Limoges airport.......even though you have your printed out boarding pass you have to go to a special desk called 'Check & Go' and show them your boarding pass and passport. You do this before you go to security.........my point is why queue to do this at limoges, all other airports just require you to show your printed boarding pass at security therefore you are avoiding the check in queues. Last week the check in go queue was massive and the check in desk did not have a queue?????

Does not make sense???????

J

[quote user="Baz"]It looks like they are doing a good security check, it is better to be safe than sorry.[/quote]Frankly Baz I think the odds that Messrs Bin Liner and co. have their sights set quite as low as a plane load of middle aged or semi geriatric Brit has-beens flying from some semi accidental strip of tarmac in provincial France likely to be about as low as low as it gets [Www] [6]

I couldn't hide a smirk a couple of weeks ago at Limoges when several travellers, who had paid extra to avoid the queues, turned up at the last minute and despite waving their 'special tickets' finished up at the back of our queue; there was only ONE queue for security check at Limoges. They were virtually the last to board.  [:P]  I'll bet that in another breath the same people will be complaining about Ryanair extra charges. [Www] I personally can't see the point of paying extra when the flight is only 90 minutes; for a flight like that I'd sit anywhere. [8-|] There seems to be some confusion between 'priority boarding' and online check-in', but at an airport like Limoges with limited facilities and staff, it's not practical to have separate queues. We still like the airport BECAUSE it's like that! [:D]

And isn't it amazing how long some people take to stow their cabin baggage in the overhead lockers, whilst all the time standing in the gangway and stopping everyone else from 'moving down the bus' ! [:-))]  

And don't you stand there thinking "That bag of theirs is never 10 kilos, it looks more like 20" (this is after you've carefully weighed yours on the bathroom scales to avoid any altercation at check-in!).  

I'm just getting started [blink]

Sid

Hands up ......me too with the bathroom scales [:)]

Last time I was at Limoges airport a guy was checking peoples hand baggage and making the obvious over size ones check them in .

In my experience you do not pay extra for on line check in.

edit I should have said when you choose on line check in they give you priority boarding free.

Don't go there Sid please !

As an aside in one of last weekends travel supplements there was an irate letter from a woman who one presumes was an infrequent Ryanair customer. She had dutifully paid £56 to check in 2 bags but unfortunately neglected to notice that however many bags you pay to check in it's still a maximum of 15kgs.

She was 12kgs over and told to pay £240 excess baggage. She didn't say whether she paid it or not [blink]

[quote user="krusty"]Last time I was at Limoges airport a guy was checking peoples hand baggage and making the obvious over size ones check them in [/quote]A very cost effective way of maximising revenue don't you think.

I never travel Ryanair without my lightweight jacket with it's massive pockets. [;-)]

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread, sure to raise a smile!

I thought I would make mention of Tours Airport, small but perfectly formed, and just the same as your limoges experience but with one exception.

We have Inspector Clouseau! "move through the security gate now or your bags will be un-loaerded"[:D]

Never fails to raise a laugh even if they have just taken your wine, duck, cheese, nail clipers or part of.

Have you posters at Limoges airport showing whats allowed and whats not? Tours has, and on the allowed list is a pen knife provided its not longer than 6cm, how deep is your heart, carotid artery? I know clipping your cuticles too short can be painful but it all sounds like it got messed up in the translation!  That said, dear o'l Stansted, they will take your nail clippers off you but don't worry, buy a new pair from boots airside. Alternativley take a metal knife or fork from either of the eateries, nuff said!

(Comment removed after the terrible plane crash today in Madrid)

It's hard to do any damage with the metal cutlery thay supply these days. I guage meat restauraunts by their rib eye, so for the novelty, and because I had time, I tried the Gordon Ramsay at Heathrow terminal 5.

I was given metal cutlery, but the blade was tiny and wouldn't cut butter. When I asked for a steak knife I got the usual security excuse.

Thankfully the steak didn't need it, though it was nothing special.   

I've been through 2 UK airports this week with a tube of toothpaste and 2 sets of the offensive nail clippers in my cabin luggage and there's been no reaction. Could common sense be returning !!

Kevinmc

Lack of Steak knife down to Security..I doubt it - sounds like BS to me - what do you think the chef is cutting the meat with backstage, a < 5cm blade.. [;-)]

As for common sense returning to airport security - I doubt it, more like someone stuffed up!

Right, off to brace myself for another T5 experience tomorrow, and a TSA experience the day after....

• 2 months later...

So a 3 month old forum question dawned on me as I checked in tonight and  I asked the question......

....the systems at Limoges aeroport can't read the optical code on Ryanair online check-in paperwork, so they have to reprint lcal boerding cards.

I thought the airline industry had standardised this sort of thing, but obviously not.....

Same at Hahn airport (Germany). 

For a short while they had a pitbull at a desk as you went through security who would scan, scrutinise, take DNA sample and maybe begrudingly let you through where your boarding card was checked again before you got on the plane.

That didn't last long.

One time I turned up a bit early and was not let through as it was 2 hours and 5 minutes before the flight time. So I stood by her check-in desk for 5 minutes before re-presinting my papers and was let through - weird

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

One time I turned up a bit early and was not let through as it was 2 hours and 5 minutes before the flight time. So I stood by her check-in desk for 5 minutes before re-presinting my papers and was let through - weird

[/quote]

That's not weird, how do you expect a robot to behave. [:D]

At Toulon you have to swap your home printed on line check in boarding pass for a normal one. They have them all printed and available just before you board the plane - after you have been through security etc. No idea why they do this though.

Flights to and from Toulon have stopped for the winter so I will need to go via Mareseille until the Spring. Part of the cost cutting, but with a fare of £28 return next month, including the £4 each way credit card fee, I am content to put up with that.

Andy

Seems to me Toulon have got it right to discourage online check-in.

I have no time for online check-in.

1) It takes jobs from people.

2) If you ever have connections/changes etc then it is far easier to talk to a human being at a check-in desk.

Unfortunately most western airports/airlines are encouraging online check-in and the horrid self service ATM type machines.

At Amsterdam for example you now have to queu twice. Once to use the self service ATM and then again to deposite luggage...progress...I do not think so.

John

[quote user="jxedwards"]

Seems to me Toulon have got it right to discourage online check-in.

I have no time for online check-in.

1) It takes jobs from people.

2) If you ever have connections/changes etc then it is far easier to talk to a human being at a check-in desk.

John

[/quote]

To expand....

1) perhaps we should still employ a man to walk in front of cars with a red flag - a nice bit of employment. Plus steam locomotives should still be retained - they provided work for men in the pits digging coal AND they required a driver and fireman - the latter not being required for diesel and electric locomotives. And what about one-man busses, or should that be one-person busses.

Get real - things move on and I far prefer checking-in on line at my convenience and not standing in some long slow moving queue.

2) If I have changes then I want them sorted long before I am checking in in case they cannot be made.

As for bag drops, my only experience is with BA and I always find this very swift.

Paul