Eurotunnel fully booked?

Jay

Tried to book a crossing for early December via the tunnel and it is fully booked. We don't usually travel via the tunnel but decided to give it a try this time. Is it usual for it to be fully booked this time of year?

The problem is almost certainly due the result of the recent tunnel fire. Eurotunnel are only operating one shuttle every 90 minutes during the week and increasing to two Shuttles every 90 minutes at weekends. Their normal service can operate 3-4 shuttles an hour but that is unlikely before February 2009, so this has meant a greatly reduced capacity especially at busy times.

Baz

I thought it might be helpfull repeating my posting of 23 October for anyone booked to travel:

With the Tunnel repairs not expected to be finished until February 09, I hope these points may be helpful for anyone using the tunnel in the next few months. My comments are based on travel in both direction this week and discussions with Eurotunnel Information Centre.

I  agree with Alane comments about the crossing time, although  it is now taking from departure to arrival at least 50 minutes in both directions. The second point of information not published, to ensure you travel on your booked crossing it is advised that you check in at least one hour before departure. In fact they were calling the cars to prepare to board between 45 -50 minutes before the departure time (previously 25 minutes). I suspect any late arrivals may well not get on the train booked especially during daytime when they are running mostly fully booked and would then have to wait a minimum of 90 minutes for the next departure if there was space. Currently Eurotunnel are operating just one crossing every 90 minutes weekdays and increasing it to two crossings every 90 minutes during the weekends.

I would estimate with the increased check in times and extended crossing time the minimum time is 2 hours for the journey from arrival to disembarkation. As many people prefer this method of crossing to the ferries at this time of the year, early booking would be advised if you wish to travel especially during the day.

Just had the same issue, wanted to go very early in January and never previously had a problem with getting a Frequent Traveller booking more than 2 months ahead, but the earliest I could get was Monday 5th. Wanted the 3rd but had forgotten that's a Saturday so booked up early with ski week traffic I guess....

Steve  

A quick update .......today I booked an outgoing (Calais to Folkestone) on Monday 15th December returning to France on Sunday 21st December, no problems BUT had to choose a different day to return as the normal weekly crossings (pm)  to France were few and far between or unavailable. Just need to be flexible with your timings.[:)]

tuppence

After reading this last week I checked straight away for our usual New Year visit - managed to get a crossing out on Boxing Day but the only availability on the way back was New Year's Day at 10pm (well, that and first thing on NYD - I don't think so!) - nothing at all after that until Monday 5th.

So - thanks for the warning!

I had a panic thinking that I might have to brave the ferry in the winter but I have just telephoned Eurotunnel on the 'off chance' and was told that they have suspended the booking system online for certain dates - I have managed to book for 26/12 returning 31/12. i just hope that it runs better than last week - we spent nearly 2 hours sat on the train and had to wait ages at the french end to disembark - oh well still better than choppy seas !!!

What?! That's ridiculous! So if I had phoned them I might have been able to come back a day or two later? Honestly.... Think I shall give them a call.

Had a very straightforward crossing last Thursday lunchtime, it just took 10 minutes longer than normal.

We had the same problem - had a word with them and they are releasing crossings gradually, they told me to try later in th week and last night they suddenly appeared for 29/30th December back to UK.  So we are all booked up now.  Keep checking and they will gradually appear....crazy system!

• 3 weeks later...

We are Eurotunnel frequent travellers and are royally hacked off. We live in Portsmouth but use Eurotunnel as their frequent traveller deal was so good. Once upon a time you paid your money up front for your crossings then booked your off peak crossing et voila jobs a good un..Tried booking for next week every single crossing has a £39 surcharge...so that's a 100% increase. so what if it's still competitive with the ferries we paid our cash in good faith to get preferential rates what's the point in Eurotunnel adverstising crossings at £49 are they taking the wotsit?........rant over guess we need them more than they need us......not happy at all.

Big Mac

You had me worried there. I think you must have encountered a glitch in their system. I've just tried several options for next week with no surcharges shown.

What I did find is that they still haven't cancelled/refunded the trip I had booked on the 12th of September (the day after the fire).

because they are only running a much diminished service (and probably giving lorries and eurostar priority), they have adopted the stratagem of showing many of the times fully booked - in fact they are not running at all. I think it is only about 1 per hour that is 'real'.

I booked on the 23rd October to travel from Calais to Folkestone on the 23rd December and return to France on 28th December.  I had wanted to travel to France on the 27th but reservations were stating that all trains were fully booked. I then discovered that a friend booked for the 27th some weeks later than us.  This was the first thing that annoyed me because it meant paying for an extra day for our dogs in the kennels!! 
I have just telephoned eurotunnel reservations asking to change our bookings by an hour on the 23rd and the same on the 28th only to be told that there is nothing available on the 23rd until 17:00 and nothing at all on the 28th.  Yet if I was travelling as a none frequent traveller there are plenty of places.  This is indeed very frustrating, as we appear to be treated as economy class travellers.  They are quite happy to accept our money upfront but what benefits do we get.  NONE!  Have just sent a rant to their customer services.  Am awaiting reply!!

Suey

Suey , it might seem unfair as you are frequent traveller but you are travelling at reduced fares, with Eurotunnel's loss of revenue (due to the fire) they are obviously reducing the number of frequent travellers on each shuttle. It is a reasonable business decision by them in their current circumstances. What you could consider if there are normal tickets available for the time and dates you wish to travel, you could consider moving your current booking forward (no charge by Eurotunnel) and purchasing some new tickets.

Baz

You're not a eurotunnel employee, are you Baz??  Had thought about rebooking but don't have £200+ to spare.  Suppose could book on Norfolk lines or P&O for £64 or £79 respectively but as I had two last tickets to use by 8th January on Frequent Traveller, thought I'd use those.

Suey