Freesat Box in Hand Luggage

seb47

Can't imagine why it would be a problem, being mains powered it's even less of a potential threat than a laptop, but then you can never account for jobsworths can you [blink]

If you did get pulled insist on talking to the top man and get him to show you where in the regulations it's prohibited, he won't be able to because it won't be, outwith the liquid and blade restrictions they make the rest up as they go [:'(]

Thank you for the replies. I will be "Check'n Go" - ing with Ryanair so any problem is likely ro arise at Security and as ErnieY says I can always ask to speak to the head person and ask where in the regulations it states I cannot carry such a box. Worst case scenario I will have to check the hand luggage in to the hold (and pay of course) having packed it in as much bubble wrap as I can get my hands on.

sheldonrobbo - Not sure about your experience in trying to contact Ryaniar - mine don't lead me to be too optimistic in obtaining an early response!

Peter

[quote user="seb47"]

.......I can always ask to speak to the head person and ask where in the regulations it states I cannot carry such a box. ....

[/quote]

Hopefully you should not have problems.

If you do I wish you luck with "speaking to the head person". Last month coming back through East Midlands the staff on the belt simply refused to let us speak to any supervisor.

They were claiming that my wife's cosmetics had to be enclosed in a "vacuum sealed " plastic bag - not the resealable plastic bag that we just happened to have bought at another airport.

Ernie's got it right "they just make it up....."

rgds

hagar

Along those lines I have witnessed people who have dutifully placed their items into the requisite clear resealable plastic bag forced to remove them simply in order to put them in the one provided by an airport worker. I challenge anybody to find me a rule which says what size the bl00dy bag has to be [:'(]

[quote user="ErnieY"]I challenge anybody to find me a rule which says what size the bl00dy bag has to be [:'(]

[/quote]

Challenge accepted [:)]

Not size, but volume.  Maximum capacity 1 litre (which some airports say is about 20 x 18 cm, and other 20 x 20).  I suppose that, short of pouring a litre of liquid into the bag to check, they sometimes prefer to use their own bags of known volume.

Problem we had was not the size or capacity of the bag (it was after all bought in Toulouse airport precisely for this purpose and had already been through more than a dozen checks in at least 4 different airports).

No - their argument was that it was not "vacuum sealed".

By the time I got involved in the "discussion" they already had a young spanish girl in front of my wife in tears. I walked over and said "excuse me can I ask you something"

- Answer "no!".

me - "I beg your pardon !"

I asked to see a supervisor - they simply refused. I tried to explain that "vacuum sealed" bags are not required and in any case would be totally impractical. They just stonewalled us all the way.

Irony was I had an identical bag inside my carry-on that I hadn't removed - they didn't even notice it.

- Ah the joys of air travel in the 21st Century !!

rgds

hagar

[quote user="Cat"]Challenge accepted [:)][/quote]Touche Cat although I see now that it was not as clear (ha) as it could have been that my use of the description 'requisite' was intended to mean that it was already nominally of the right size (and had likely passed through several airports previously without question) and the change was demanded apparently for no better reason than that 'somebody' had decided to make it thus.