LD Lines have received approval from Seine Maritime to use the ship mv

Cote d'Albatre on the Dover to Boulogne route along with the Dover to

Dieppe route full time from Feb 2009. The vessel will be chartered by

LD Lines from Transmanche Ferries.

The Boulogne service was due to open in July when the new larger berths

are built, but following sucessful berthing trials over three days the

mv Cote d'Albatre was found to fit the old Speedferries berth well

enough for a service to be operated.

It would appear that Newhaven to Dieppe is being reduced down to just a ship service.

It is planned to have the following - 2 round trips Dover to Boulogne and 1 Dover to Dieppe per 24 hours

Check out the LD Lines website for prices on the Dover/Boulogne route as they are already listed - because the route is longer than the Dover/Calais it seems like it will still be more expensive than Speedferries was.

I think that the best deal at the moment is the Seafrance Multi-ticket as each crossing ticket is valid as a single and can be used from either Dover or Calais - turn up and go without booking on one of the next two ferries leaving.

Has anyone got their Speedferries money back from a credit/debit card company yet?

One big bonus as far as I am concerned is the new opportunity to get to the excellent port of Dieppe from Dover rather than Newhaven.

The sad thing about Newhaven is that on returning to that port, their security 'speed humps' damage many low cars. But the port refuses to do anything about them!

[quote user="Mel"]

One big bonus as far as I am concerned is the new opportunity to get to the excellent port of Dieppe from Dover rather than Newhaven.

The sad thing about Newhaven is that on returning to that port, their security 'speed humps' damage many low cars. But the port refuses to do anything about them!

[/quote]

Low cars.....or do you mean overloaded cars???....our car is as low as most and we have never had a problem .....only problems i have seen is with cars returning with everything but the proverbial kitchen sink and car/caravans that are improperly loaded

sheldon

sheldonrobbo - certainly not overloaded in my case. I take far more stuff out to France than I bring back.

The problem is the design of the ramps at Newhaven. They do not have a curved shape, but are more like bricks (straight up, flat on top, straight down again - this design is actually illegal in public places). When wheels come off the ramp, they drop straight down and invariably break mudflaps, which are very expensive on a new car.

Have any of you thought about the offer currently being made by LD/Transmanche?

My OH found on their website that they will honour any speedferries unused tickets on their Newhaven-Dieppe route before end June.Gave us a 75% discount on our next trip,even better value than trying to reclaim through credit card!!

Obviously a loss leader to try and get more business,but very welcome all the same. Not quite as handy for us as S'ferries,but as long as it works what the hell?

Still sad to see S'ferries go under, as we always enjoyed our trips and also much easier to use Western dock as opposed to Eastern! Will also be watching for "Fare creep", now they are gone too.

Johnnyboy.

[quote user="johnnyboy"]

Still sad to see S'ferries go under, as we always enjoyed our trips and also much easier to use Western dock as opposed to Eastern! Will also be watching for "Fare creep", now they are gone too.

Johnnyboy.

[/quote]

With the loss of Speed Ferries and the introduction LD, there will be from next month 4 Ferry companies operating out of Dover. So one would expect with the current credit crunch and the possible reduction in the number of travellers using the ferries that competitive pricing will be maintained providing none of these companies go under.

Baz

• 3 weeks later...