My car is a lemon

Mr Coeur de Lion

I bought my car brand new just over 2 years ago. Since then, it has been back to the garage for repairs on the auto gearbox about 10 or 11 times. Last week I nearly had an accident because of this gearbox. The car has also had a few other problems, but this gearbox problem is continual. First time it went was about a month after I bought it. Clearly the car is a lemon.

The warranty expired last week but the garage say they will honour repairs to the gearbox as the fault occurred within the warranty period.

I have reached my limit though. Personally, I feel I should reject the car and demand my money back. The "lemon" law in other countries seems to permit this, but does it apply in France? And also what would the French terminology be for a car that is a "lemon"? Direct translation is citron of course, which may bring an ironic smirk to the garage seeing as my car is a Peugeot.

I've had enough. They can take it back and give me a car that works. I didn't spend 20k€ for hassle. I paid that for peace of mind.

Sadly I dont think that even in the UK you could get your money back on a lemon after 2 years.

I recently saw a very expensive nearly new merc sports parked on a trailer (there must have been some reason for this) in a driveway opposite a centre commerciale, it had a great big sign across the windscreen starting with "J'en ai marre" and went on to describe how it had had more than 20K euros of warranty work done by a specified dealer and that it was still not driveable.

Food for thought?

Judging by what seem to be reputable surveys in the UK, French cars do disapoint their buyers more than the rest, and Mercs are not as high up the satisfaction list as one would expect either. A lot hinges on the dealer's ability to rectify faults. Doubtless lots of folk have other experiences and would disagree, however customers do seem to be generally more satisfied with Japanese cars.

It's just a suggestion, but why don't you try taking it to a different dealer. We had a OBC problem on our car recently and the local dealer didn't rectify it completely after having the car for two days, although he palmed it off on me as being fixed. A city dealership rectified the problem it in a few minutes.

Steve