is it still worth waiting to buy diesel in france?

Keelstow

do I still save money by arriving in france with an empty tank and using a supermarket to fill up. I get the impression from AA web site that french price has now outstripped UK filling stations.

I find this situation strange as it was cheaper in fance last september when our currency was a lot stronger. One would have expected the french prices to remain a lot more competitive due to the stong euro? even a bottle of Cointreau can be found cheaper in the UK

thanks for any info

martin

[quote user="Keelstow"]

I find this situation strange as it was cheaper in fance last september when our currency was a lot stronger. One would have expected the french prices to remain a lot more competitive due to the stong euro

[/quote]

Hi ,

A weaker Pound will make prices abroad more expensive (priced in Sterling).

Last September the Euro was still strong (though falling) ag the USD having been as high as 1.6000. Oil was also up around $100 per barrel.

Both Euro (1.25 per USD) and oil ($40 per barrel)  have fallen in price since then, but oil much more than the Euro, so in theory, priced in EUR, petrol in the pump should be a lot cheaper than last September.

I never use the autoroutes for a fuel fill-up unless I can possibly help it - I'm a cheapskate supermarche man myself. Even with the drop in value of the £ against the €, in my case last week, a French fill-up vs a UK one saved around £7. Nowhere near as good as saving between £15 - £18 as once was, but still worth it.