thumbs up for euro tunnel

A big thumbs up for our first time on euro tunnel. We travelled at the begining of may with our dog, our crossing booked for 10pm...................we arrived early and got on to the next train crossing at 8.20pm !!!!! Saved us loads of time and got to our hotel in calais at a much more reasonable time, will definately use them again for a return trip.Is this a usual experience ??????????? Mel.

We used the tunnel for years when we had a second home in Normandy & yes it did happen often, especially if getting an early morning train, but not usually public holiday weekends unless you were very lucky.  Equally, have had some bad delays on the tunnel caused by broken down trains, motorway accidents & again during public holiday weekends.  Overall, we would say that the good experiences outweighed the bad, but the latter remain in the memory longer......

We have travelled through the tunnel since it first opened and we take our dog now too, it is much easier than on a ferry.

We have often been sent on an earlier train if we have arrived a bit early and on our return to the UK at the end of April were told to drive straight through as the train next out was not full and we could have an earlier flight. We will be travelling back to Charente on the 3rd June so hope for a problem free journey this time also. [8-|]

Yes without doubt the service we have received as frequent travellers has been excellent. Early trains at non busy times, helpful staff when booking, quiet and efficient service. We are able to travel at non peak times so perhaps that makes a difference.

Lyza

A few years ago they went through a phase of insisting that anyone other than Flexiplus passengers (very expensive) had to wait for their booked crossing, even if it was obvious that there were spaces on earlier crossings. We complained long and loud even to the extent of being told that dealing with our complaints was taking up too much time.

For the last year or two they've been much more flexible and we've been allocated space on the next crossing after our arrival. A big improvement and I can no longer fault the service. For a quick, seasick free crossing I don't think they can be beaten and with frequent traveller prices are very good value as well.

• 2 weeks later...

We had used the ferry for a couple of times after buying our house to take over a van etc. The drive into Dover is a real pain and it not that much easier at Calais. When we started taking our dog we knew she would be terrified on the car deck on her own so the tunnel it was.

It is a little more expensive than the ferry using the frequent traveller fares BUT it is so much quicker - just turn off the motorway and a 35 minute crossing saving up to 2 hours and only once have we not got on an earlier crossing and that was August BH.

Go by ferry - you must be joking.

Paul

I agree.  Just whizz down the M2/A2 to Dover then down Jubilee Way and youo are literally at the entrance to the dock.

I have to say though that the Tunnel is much nicer and quicker and I used to use it exclusively but now as a very infrequent traveller and often last minute at that, I take Norfolk lines from Dunkerque at roughly one fifth of the cost of a standard Tunnel fare.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="P2"]

The drive into Dover is a real pain.............

Paul

[/quote]

???????????? I have always found getting to (and from) the Dover ferry ports an absolute doddle. Calais is pretty easy both in and out, as is / was Boulogne.
[/quote]

It probably is a complete doddle - if you enjoy driving on a 2 lane A road with several roundabouts and 18 wheelers alongside.

Personally, I find an absolute doddle driving on a slip road from the motorway straight up to the check-in.

Paul

My French friends managed to take the first of the roundabouts anti-clockwise and continued on till the second avoiding the incoming traffic, every time I arrive at the roundabout I wonder how he managed it, it cant have been an easy manouvre.

My friends are coming over this week and always prefer the shuttle, but by coming this time on the Norman Arrow catamaran from Dover to Boulogne, they have saved over £100 on their return journey. Also saved on petrol by saving over 50 miles to get down to me. Personally I have not renewed my frequent travellers tickets this year as i never got to use them all in the 12 months you are allowed to do so.

tuppence

You don't even get 12 months with the Frequent Traveller deal as the "year" starts from the time you pay, rather than the date of first travel - and they don't seem to allow you to pay and travel straightaway. Nit-picking perhaps but when you are struggling to use all the tickets anyway, a lost week might make quite a difference.

So I am going to give the LD Catamaran a try, too. Looks impressive from the pictures and good value. Hope it lives up to expectations.