Can I take eggs in?

josa

Hi - I think the answer to this is "no" - but I just wanted to check - I keep chickens at home in England and have wonderful free-range eggs. I am going to my house in France in August for a couple of weeks and wondered if I could take a dozen or so of my own eggs over to start our breakfasts off? 

With all the correct DEFRA paper work and money paid to all those people who need it [:D]

Are you flying or driving?

If you are driving tuck em away somewhere and say nothing.

What am I saying [:-))] what about H5N1 bird flu you could cause a pandemic

I'm driving to 87 - Thing is I remember going many years ago (1969) with my parents in a camper van and they would stock up with tins of beans etc AND at least 2 doz eggs - all of which seemed to get broken at various stages of the journey down through France to Italy! 

[quote user="josa"]Hi - I think the answer to this is "no" - but I just wanted to check - I keep chickens at home in England and have wonderful free-range eggs. I am going to my house in France in August for a couple of weeks and wondered if I could take a dozen or so of my own eggs over to start our breakfasts off? [/quote]

I cannot imagine why this should not be allowed but, even if I am wrong and it is a heinous crime, surely the worst that could happen is that the eggs were taken off you? And I think you would be very unlikely to be searched on the way to France.

Sue

Thanks Bob T.

I don't think I ever indicated it was about saving the "couple of pounds" nor am I unaware of the very fine quality of food available in France - it's just that I do have my own free range chickens who are producing wonderful eggs at the moment and if I can take some of those into France then it seems a shame to leave them here in England - my son who is left behind to care for the animals couldn't eat them all and I have given as many away to my friends and relatives that they can get through!

I certainly wouldn't buy eggs in England to take to France, but these are laid by my own happy hens!

Let's face it if I was worried about a couple of pounds I wouldn't actually be going to France but rather stay at home.