Ryanair at it again

AnOther

Spoke to my daughter last night and bl00dy RA have screwed her planned Stansted/Bergerac trip in October. She and her husband are both teachers BTW so tied to expensive school holidays.

They have been booked up since May but RA first emailed them to say that their return flight was being changed from Friday 30th to Saturday 31st, which is inconvenient but doable, but now they have been told that their outbound flight is a day earlier on Friday which means that they would both have to take a day off school which is a problem and is just not possible.

Of course all RA are offering is a refund but to rebook alternative flights this late for half term is likely to be cost prohibitive and if she can't find something else at an affordable price the trip is off.

They won't be the only ones finding themselves in a similar situation either of course.

Grrrrrr

Looking at the Ryanair site, I assume that their outward flight was booked for Saturday the 24th?

There are no flights on the Sunday or Monday, but the Tuesday flight is available.  If the alternative to cancelling her holiday is to take a shorter one, she could phone Ryanair and ask them to book her onto the Tuesday flight.

She doesn't have to take the alternative Friday flight she was offered.  It may be at the discretion of the person she speaks to, but I know that when something similar happened to me with Ryanair, I asked to be changed to a flight on a different day, and ended up on a flight that was over £100 more expensive than the one I had originally booked, but didn't cost me a penny more.  In your sister's case, the Tuesday flight is only £2.79, so considerably cheaper than the Friday flight she is being offered.

Worth a try.

Do not know about RA but a colleague has just has her return from France with easyJet cancelled and a 'click this link' to book on to another flight and no question of any additional charges, especially as the filght she has chosen would have been more expensive.

Ryanair are a law to themselves. With the current reduction in passenger numbers and the grounding of part of their fleet for the winter period, this practise of cancelling or changing flights I suspect will happen often during the coming months. It is sad that planning ahead  cannot any longer be relied upon, but the low cost airlines will only fly when it is viable for them and are  not in business to provide good customer relations.

Baz

It's daughter & SIL Cat, not sister, but just heard that they have now booked outward on Easyjet Gatwick to Toulouse. Not the most convenient arrangement but it works and at a reasonable price. It would have been nice to use the existing RA booking for the return but unfortunately their car will be at Gatwick.

baz: I suspect you are right [:(]

bjsliv: I spotted that but couldn't get hold of them in time !

I agree, and in fact, having in fairly recent times flown on RA, EJ, BMI, Flybe, Eastern Airways, KLM, Air France, and BA, I would go almost as far as to say that the difference between RA and EJ is of the same magnitude as comparing EJ with some of aforementioned operators.

Interestingly, I had my flight cancelled from Toulouse to Birmingham (also booked and paid for in May), and they could only offer me a flight from Bergerac to Southampton or somewhere else (sorry don't remember) to Manchester, or a refund.  I had no apology and now my refund is £15 less than that charged to my credit card as for some strange reason they have converted the refund to Euros even though it is a UK Credit Card.   The airline, Ryanair?  Easyjet?  no good old Flybe and this was not a particularly cheap ticket.  Seems to me most airlines are much of a muchness!

I wouldn't put up with that, a refund should be for exactly what you paid out.

Remember they've probably done this to a plane load of passengers not just you so what's that, 140 x £15, £2000 odd for doing nowt, a nice little earner, more than they would have made from actually operating the flight, better hope MrO know doesn't get to hear of it [:-))]

Take them to the small claims court, they'll either pay up or fail to turn up either way you get your dues.

• 2 weeks later...
Bully for you then but lets hope the don't suddenly decide to alter the date (or both as in my daughters case) when you've made all your other arrangements and then have no option but to cancel your trip or pay full whack for an alternative flight or flights.

Still, you'll be be entitled to your £1 back so that makes it all OK doesn't it [:'(]

But the OP's family wanted to use the service and were royally screwed up by RA. Not quite the same[:)]  Not sure I know of anyone who is"happy" with RA, more a case of putting up with it, because it is all that is available.

Fi

I use Ryanair regularly and used to be happy with them. I still use them but am far from happy with them. Like everyone else I used to say you get what you pay for. I never signed up to be treat so rudely as I have been lately. The slighest opportunity for a change I'll take it.

Hoddy

Thank you for the sympathy but you don't seem to get it [:(]

Forget what I or others might think my daughter and SIL were perfectly happy to fly with them but the gripe is the cavalier, and frankly contemptuous, way he trifles with customers throwing their plans into complete chaos and there can scarcely be a worse time to start monkeying around with long established schedules then in the school holidays. It's the busiest time for them too so the reason for cutting these flights is hardly likely to be for lack of passengers.

As for "Millions do and are happy with Ryanair" I agree with Fi, 'Millions do and tolerate Ryanair' might be more apt.

But it's not only Ryanair.  A couple of years ago J and I were given very short notice that we had to attend legal proceedings in the UK.  We booked flights with Flybe 3 weeks before the date (that IS short notice) in June, cost €600 plus.  Two days to go, we got stood down, the Inquest was being adjourned.

Even with supporting letters from the Coroner involved, they refused a refund but offered us time limited (up to 8 weeks) vouchers, non transferable flights to the same destination for half the cost and we 'lost' the balance, so over €300 'lost'.  Luckily, the Inquest has been recalled now and the Coroner concerned has agreed to refund the previous amount in full.

But to me, they're all as bad as the other, in theory we could have lost the whole €600 plus through no fault of our own and they weren't interested in the reason why!

[quote user="Mel"]£1 flights - no taxes - what a rip-off on the return journey! Stansted to Tours = £1, no taxes or fees, total £1... Tours to Stansted £9.99 + taxes & fees, total £59.65... Total bill = £60.65[/quote]

Choose your return journey wisely

LPL to NTE = £1, NTE to LPL = £1

Total bill = £2, you can't even buy a "99" ice cream for that.

Mind you I do agree with the OP, we are treated as S.L.F.      ..........(self loading freight)

[quote user="PeterG"]

[quote user="Mel"]£1 flights - no taxes - what a rip-off on the return journey! Stansted to Tours = £1, no taxes or fees, total £1... Tours to Stansted £9.99 + taxes & fees, total £59.65... Total bill = £60.65[/quote]

Choose your return journey wisely

LPL to NTE = £1, NTE to LPL = £1

Total bill = £2, you can't even buy a "99" ice cream for that.

Mind you I do agree with the OP, we are treated as S.L.F.      ..........(self loading freight)

[/quote]

OBI oh b u g g e r it.

Please go easy RA do have an expensive fleet to run plus paying BAA a hefty fee. Ernie, not defending what they did to your daughters.

Eurotunnel on the other hand charge you more the longer you stay, some one mention con? If I had enough money I would love to challenge the legality of that one!

The French charge me toll for a journey based on the journey not on how many days I spent south of the toll booth!

rant over (for now) [:)]