TRANSMANCHE ferries

partout

Hi all,

have just returned from france via Dieppe to Newhaven on Transmanche, and have to say that again we had a very pleasant uneventful crossing. We drove our old citroen traction back to UK, the check-in was very courteous we were separated from the other vehicules and were asked if the lower deck with plenty of room around us would be more convenient. What can I say, each time we have used Transmanche its been excellent.

Just returned from using Transmanche Dover-Boulogne aboard the Norman arrow.

It can load pretty quickly but disapointed with no breakfast available, actually only a microwave to re-heat anything so they have studied their target market [:D] Now I know there is only sandwiches I won't be surprised again but personally would have prefered a 90 minute crossing with a breakfast. 

Journey around an hour and no arrival check carried out whatsoever so that was a very quick exit from Boulogne.

Just a little reminder, apologies if it is already general knowledge.  If you are over 65 years old Transmanche will give you a 25% discount off the normal price.  This isn't published anywhere (as far as I know) and you have to book by telephone not online, so ask for it when booking.  I only use Dieppe/Newhaven so don't know if it is available on other routes.

Théière - we are trying the Norman Arrow in October, so it was helpful to see your comments about how quickly it loads and unloads...

However, I think I will be happy to have the 60 minute crossing and skip the breakfast!

Will - you are right, the port at Newhaven has a French manager, but alll the staff are employed by a UK company called LCT Support Services.

Mel, yes, my comment was tongue in cheek. Although Transmanche sub-contracts some port services to LCT, it's still a French company, as is Newhaven Ports & Properties.

LCT Support Services is part of something called the 2morrow group, which has close links with LD Lines through this and a couple of its other subsidiaries; 2morrow was also the company responsible for inflicting on us the HD ferries service which ran (occasionally) between St Malo and the Channel Islands.

The HD Ferries ship was laid up in Newhaven earlier this year, awaiting sale. As far as I can tell from the ferry sites, it may still be there. Does anybody know?

Incidentally, one of the Transmanche ships is about to begin operating the LD Lines Portsmouth-Le Havre route, replacing the Norman Voyager. So Newhaven-Dieppe is back to being a one-ship service.

The Norman Voyager, which the Transmanche ship Cote d'Albatre is replacing on the Portsmouth-Le Havre route, was new this year. It is designed as a freight ferry, for carrying trucks not cars, so the general passenger facilities are somewhat less than suitable for this route which, although it attracts a lot of freight, is also well used by car traffic. Although Cote d'Albatre is a smaller ship than the Norman Voyager, the company obviously feels it will suit the Le Havre route better. Being built specifically for the shorter Newhaven-Dieppe route, the number of cabins will probably still seem insufficient for overnight Le Havre crossings. Norman Voyager has 110 cabins of varying sizes, Cote d'Albatre only has 50. The other Portsmouth-Le Havre vessel, Norman Spirit, originally had comparatively few (a total of 60) cabins, a legacy of its previous use on the short Dover routes, but 20 more have been added, as well as the 'sleeper seats'.

The Norman Voyager is being redeployed to the Cherbourg-Rosslare service starting 19 September, hence my earlier uncertainty about when the Transmanche ship began operating out of Portsmouth.

Yes, my information is that the Dover-Boulogne route is operated exclusively by the Norman Arrow, which, being a considerably larger version of the fast ferries used by previous operators of this route, can carry freight traffic as well, which should help the viability of the service.