Ryanair Offer

PeterG

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They send me at least a couple of emails a week with offers - and the offers which only last for a couple of days often change.  Last week Poitiers was about £35 , if I book by tonight its £10.  If you have a couple of months before you wish to travel it certainly pays to hang on and await the particular offer you need, then get in quick.

Firstly, it is £105 return including one bag in the hold...

Why is it a rip-off?

Well, as iceni suggests, using logic, it is not a rip-off. To fly in a modern jet from London to the centre of France and return for £52.50 each way is good value.

Perhaps 'rip-off' is the wrong term. I just carried on with the wording already established in the thread. 'Misleading' is more accurate...

To advertise flights at 1p each and for somebody to end up paying £105 is a bit wide of the mark. Yes, when I look back at the list of destinations, Tours was not listed at 1p, but £33 each way. I just saw 1p and went for it!

And perhaps we are all getting accustomed to having to pay as much for a bag to fly back and forth as we do for ourselves. I am sure there must be lots of people out there who are quite happy to spend a week in the same clothes if it will save them a few bob, but I do not fall into that category. And I only hope one of the aforementioned doesn't sit next to me on the return flight.

But if you really want an example of a Ryanair rip-off, it is their charge of £10 PER PERSON to use a DEBIT CARD. Now that is a rip-off and I will not be swayed from that!

[quote user="Mel"]

But if you really want an example of a Ryanair rip-off, it is their charge of £10 PER PERSON to use a DEBIT CARD. Now that is a rip-off and I will not be swayed from that![/quote]

If you buy Ryanair flights more than once per year and do not have access to an Electron card, have a look at the Travelex site and consider buying a prepaid currency card in sterling, as these cards are Electron cards. Martin Lewis' "moneysavingexpert" site mentions this card.

I have no connection with Travelex, Ryanair (other than as a "passenger") or Martin Lewis.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Mel"]I am sure there must be lots of people out there who are quite happy to spend a week in the same clothes if it will save them a few bob, but I do not fall into that category. And I only hope one of the aforementioned doesn't sit next to me on the return flight. [/quote]

There should probably be a whole section about travelling light.  I can certainly get clothes for a week into a cabin bag without having to wear anything other than trousers (I'm not sure I own 7 pairs of non suit trousers) for more than one day ( and I am over 6ft and 18stone so my clothes carry the full whack of material).  Sensible selection of multi purpose clothes, a couple of specific light and packable "travel" garments - layers rather than thick jumpers - not too many shoes - just enough mini toilitries and nothing packed "just in case".

Mel

To most people a reasonable definition of rip-off might be

1. a charge that I had not been told about being levied after I had hit the final pay button

2. a monopoly charging an extortionate amount

Beyond that charges are possibly too high, in my opinion unjustified or unacceptable and I find another supplier - when travelling to/from France there is always an alternative or possibly yet more choices.

Your complaints about Ryanair seem to hang on the fact that there are a number of identified constituent parts to reach the final total cost, some of which are avoidable when all that should matter is the overall cost.

BTW Di has just booked Rodez to Faro via Stansted for €50 + £10 - doubtless you would find a rip-off in there somewhere but we are grateful that Ryanair and his ilk allow us to fly around Europe at previously undreamed of prices. A bit more than your trip from Tours but possibly less than a brief sojourn on the English railway.

As you will have gathered I am a great fan of MO'L (Ryanair sponsors a race at the Cheltenham Festival thus can do little wrong) but admit that he has a novel approach to customer service particularly if something goes awry. His business was still making an operating profit in the latest figures that I have seen, the results spoiled only by his megalomaniac (?) purchase of Aer Lingus shares, and after all making a profit is the only valid reason for being in business.

Anyway, happy flying with EasyJet, BMI, Flybe, SNCF or whoever you travel with - unless you have chosen Ryanair despite the rip-off chant.

John

John,

I thought I clarified the 'rip-off' reference? Had you read it properly, you would have noted that I had taken onboard your point and would therefore not consider the fare you quoted as a rip-off.

(I PREVIOUSLY SAID: Well, as iceni suggests, using logic, it is not a rip-off. To fly in a modern jet from London to the centre of France and return for £52.50 each way is good value.)

However, it does seem in your subsequent definition that at least you agree with me that the £10 fee which popped up at the end of the transaction, is a rip-off! Thanks for that...

As for Michael O'Leary - I would get banned if I posted on here what I think of that ill-mannered man's public performances. If you are a fan of that style, then again I have to keep my thoughts to myself.

As for being happy flying with all the others you mention, I do not actually fly to France at all. I was buying this current ticket for my son who, because of a medical condition, is unable to drive.

John Cleese made a highly successful comedy series based on a rude obnoxious hotel owner. Customer service seemed a dirty word, the owner was just out for himself.

I wonder who will make the series about an airline boss? I find nothing clever or customer focussed in MOLs attitude, I also find his cabin crews attitude to be that they should be serving first class instead of the 'rabble' on their flights.

On BBC News there was the story of a budget airling boss who was cautioned for yelling at his staff at an airport because there were 200 people to be checked in. Wrong yes, but customer satisfaction in his heart.

Yes, Mel, I totally and utterly agree with you, charging £10 to pay with a Debit Card is a total and utter rip-off.

The way Ryanair seems to survive to me is by throwing a few pennies at the masses - it gets publicity, a few get the pennies the rest start to book a flight and then find, as they go through the booking that costs keep on being added.

As for bags, yes, he might have a market for people with virtually no luggage - those who have homes in France. But he cuts routes which must leave some stranded no longer being able to get to their houses. With the £ so weak against the euro fewer will want to fly or buy houses so they have to fly. There comes a breakeven point where driving is cheaper (no airfares often with car hire proving the deciding factor, i.e flights + x days of car hire > driving).

I wonder if those think MOL is so great would think the same if they way he runs his business was the way that a local shop was run?

Paul

[quote user="P2"]

With the £ so weak against the euro fewer will want to fly or buy houses so they have to fly. There comes a breakeven point where driving is cheaper (no airfares often with car hire proving the deciding factor, i.e flights + x days of car hire > driving).

Paul

[/quote]

I have reached that point although I don't entirely blame MOL. BAA do their share. I have had my share of 1p flights and use the electron card so no regrets you can't travel for such low money forever. Personally the luggage cost fiasco was the end. Most times I travel with a small bag but there are sometimes when you need to take a larger item and now the cost of doing so is ridulous so I am over by car and can carry lots and bring back wine which must help France as no one travelling by air can any more, unless buy airside and in your hand luggage.

[quote user="Mel"]Same 'super' offer...

Stansted to Tours return in October (not the holiday period)... just over £100 with taxes!

Rip-off![/quote]

Maybe you should start costing the trip by alternative means of transport...? 

Methinks some people are just plain greedy.

[quote user="P2"]

As for bags, yes, he might have a market for people with virtually no luggage - those who have homes in France.

[/quote]

We have travelled to the west coast of Ireland for a week in very cool, indifferent weather and we managed very comfortably with hand luggage.  Stan Streason is spot on - most people travel with way more stuff than they need.

[quote user="Nelson"] I have Ryanair flight confirmed, Luton-Limoges for 28th October 2009.[/quote]

Sorry , only quoting from Limoges airport site .

http://www.aeroportlimoges.com/en-EN/passengers/regular_flights/direct_flights/98-direct_flights.php?destination=LTN

Just had a look on Ryanair site , nothing listed beyond end of September ?

Beware what happened to Ernie`s family.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1848303/ShowPost.aspx 

I would check with Ryanair if I was you.

Michael O’Leary, Chairman of Ryannair is walking past a pub when he notices a large sign:  ''All Beers 10p a pint''. Never one to miss a bargain, he goes to the bar and asks for a pint of Guinness. “All beers 10p a pint”, confirms the barman. He pulls the pint and Michael puts his 10p coin on the bar. The barman immediately demands £4.10 for the pint which Michael had began to sup. “But”, staggers O’Leary,         ” You’ve just confirmed the beer at 10p a pint”.   

“Ah, 10p for the pint” says the barman, “but £1.00 for the glass, £1 for me and £2 for the brewery who own the pub!!”

My definition of a ''rip-off'' is an advertised price that bears no relationship to the final price, including non optional charges for items that are normally not charged.

Incidently, at least the cabin crew are human, recently when buying a coffee I was asked for 3e, I offered a 20e note and was asked if I had the change, I explained that I only had 2e, to which she replied, OK just give me the 2e![:)]

Enjoy your next flight!

[quote user="just john "]

My definition of a ''rip-off'' is an advertised price that bears no relationship to the final price, including non optional charges for items that are normally not charged.

[/quote]

As someone who has just come back from a return trip to Poitiers which cost me £2 in total, I have no complaints.

Every airline has constantly variable fares with few onboard paying identical amounts.  What price should he advertise at?   As long as there are some flights available at the price advertised I see no problem. I have put myself out a bit (committed well in advance/got an electron card/dont book hold luggage/fly midweek etc) which means that I get his lowest fares.  The conditions for doing so are not impossible for anyone to achieve so its down to a cost benefit choice for individuals.  Unless you are booking at the last minute I find it difficult to think of any of his fares as "rip-off" when you think what you are actually getting for the price.

If someone had asked most of the people on here 10-15 years ago if they were prepared to jump through those hoops to get a return flight to Europe for £2 I'm guessing most would have bitten their hand off. I remember my first (paid for myself) package holiday to Greece back in 1984 and I paid nearly £400 for two weeks half board.  That was a month's wages for me then. 

As I mentioned in the other thread - the concept of owning your own home amongst the kids I went to school with was rare.  The concept of a second home was for the mega rich.  My grandparents lived in rented accommodation - as did many post war families.  We have become more and more greedy, demanding and materialistic. The whingers on this thread being a great example of those who have, perhaps, forgotten what we have now.

I completely agree with Stans Streason - it's a simple cost benefit choice.