Ryanair on Panarama Monday evening

Théière

The programme didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know, so there was no 'hidden" agenda from my point of view. I love, love Ryanair. It's cheap, quick and convenient. I could afford the ferry or BA if I wanted to, so I don't fall into the penny pinching bracket, but of course I'm going to choose the means which gets me from door to door with the least stress and hassle and Ryanair does that for many of us.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Celine"]

The programme didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know, so there was no 'hidden" agenda from my point of view.

[/quote]

I expected a feeble attempt at lambasting a successful business/man but was pleasantly surprised at the sensible approach. My only 2 criticisms are

1. The bag drop fiasco in August was the fault of Swissport, the baggage handling company, not Ryanair

2. If Stockholm Valhalla is further from Stockholm than passengers expected they should have asked - (I would not have been surprised to learn that it is in Denmark).

John

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

So is Auntie Beeb having a love affair with MOL ?

There's another article on their website today about him

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8297211.stm

[/quote]

It might be there today but in fact it was there yesterday before the programme.

The thing I found explained a lot was that the cabin crew are on commission on sales hence the big push to sell you food and drink on the flight.

Any comments from those who have bought a home because it was near an airport served by Ryanair that then had the service discontinued.

Paul

Fortunately, we have a choice of airports at both ends.  Within an hour of us here in the UK we have Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool and East Midlands.  In France we have Bordeaux, Limoges, Bergerac and (when it opens) Brive all between 40 minutes to two hours.  I think we have done most combinations of routes over the years.  We have also done the driving and ferry option (via Calais) and can do door to door in a day (ok - it was a looong day!!).  It was an important factor for us when we bought the house - as well as loving the area of course!  However, I don't think we flew Ryanair until sometime after we completed.  We used to always fly Manchester to Bordeaux - until RA became so cheap by comparison that it would have been rude not to use them!  Although many take the Michael out of those of us in 24, we are unlikely to have nearby airport closure as an issue!

"The thing I found explained a lot was that the cabin crew are on

commission on sales hence the big push to sell you food and drink on

the flight."

Absolutely, I felt quite sorry for the cabin and flight crews who would seem to be pushed to the limits and half the time are working on short contracts and not permanent.

Anyone who knows anything about RA must realise that most of the airports used are a fair distance from major cities.

I agree with Scooby that travel times and costs must be an important consideration when buying a holiday home in France, otherwise the whole trip becomes a chore and one starts to resent the added expense and hassle.

I do feel a bit sorry for those who have lost the flights to the nearest airport especially if they are hoping to do holiday lettings too.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

Anyone who knows anything about RA must realise that most of the airports used are a fair distance from major cities.

[/quote]

This is a brilliant idea. It means you are less likely to get stuck in traffic thus missing your flight and you can find somewhere to park at a reasonable cost.

Although we do have alternatives, and Ryanair was not a big factor in where we bought, we do find them very convenient at the French end. Nimes airport is just a very short shuttle ride from the city, where we can catch a bus to our little town, then a 3-minute walk and we're home. If necessary, Montpellier, Nice, Marseille etc could be used if necessary, although not as convenient, and we still drive a couple of times a year.At the UK end it's either  buses or a fairly long taxi ride to Luton, so not very convenient.

But Ryanair is cheap if you work with them; no checked luggage, use an electron card etc. It's free, a very basic account; we already have an account with Halifax, who do one; I told them exactly why I wanted it, and there it was a couple of days later.

I hate Ryanair's announcements, selling attemps, celebration of early arrivals etc, but can't ever complain about how the company works, as Ryanair is convenient for us. I hate flying anyway, but that's not their fault.

I am concerned that Nimes might not survive when the navy/air force pulls out in 2012; even the fire engine on the runway belongs to them. There seems little going on to attract investment in to the airport for the future, and all the towns and tourist businesses will surely suffer if it closes; every plane seems full at the moment, so the number of tourists it brings in is enormous. Montpellier isn't that far away, but far enough to perhaps persuade people to holiday over in that direction instead; public transport from there to the east doesn't seem as good.

GG

[quote user="Cendrillon"]"The thing I found explained a lot was that the cabin crew are on commission on sales hence the big push to sell you food and drink on the flight."

Absolutely, I felt quite sorry for the cabin and flight crews who would seem to be pushed to the limits and half the time are working on short contracts and not permanent.

[/quote]

London Stansted, London Gatwick, at least they admit Kent international is not London Manston [:)]

I agree with the post above much better to get in and out of smaller de-centralised airports. Heathrow travel is a joke with its tiny approach road and coach connections that don't run 24/7 (they do at Stansted).

Not sure why "London Southend" is "taking the pee"?

It is about the same distance and time from London as Stansted, Luton or Gatwick  - According to the AA the distances/time from each airport to London Bridge is:

Southend - 40.6 miles/78 mins, Stansted - 41.2 miles/72 mins, Luton - 36.1 miles/68 mins, Gatwick - 28.9 miles/66 mins, Heathrow - 23.2 miles/56 mins

I have flown from Southend a few times (not lately as very few passenger flights now) and it is fine to use - seems a good alternative if any low cost carriers want to use it, especially as it now has some fairly well progressed expansion plans, new owners (Stobart Group) - plenty of investment and a new dedicated rail station just for the airport is currently under construction. I usually fly from Stansted but would be more than happy to use Southend if I had an option.

[quote user="bubbles"]take an empty water bottle with you and then fill it up at the water fountain at the entrance to the toilets at the airport.

we always do this at Stansted.[/quote]

Hmmmmm .... yes, well. The staff at Nimes airport won't let you take an empty bottle through. You would think that they ought to know the rules, wouldn't you? [8-)]

And at the same airport, on the same day, the member of staff on the input side to the hand luggage scanner decided that a 10cl tub (marked as such) was too big. Fortunately his boss could make the tremendous conceptual leap of 10cl equalling 100ml. Score: one-all. D'oh!

Regards

Pickles

There was more than a snide grin on the face of whichever of the airline's PR wrote this statement in this morning's press release: "Panorama claimed that 'O’Leary is a bully' – this is clearly false when the whole world knows that O’Leary is a kind and gentle, caring and thoughtful, sensitive and saintly human being widely beloved by all Ryanair’s 6,500 people and its 66m passengers."

It just goes to show if you are quick on your feet and honest in your dishonesty there is no such thing as bad publicity.

I couldnt see the program but it looks like a lot of license payers money was spent to reveal very little other than great publicity for Ryanair.

Unless you've never travelled on RA then you wouldn't have been very surprised or shocked by the programme. There are lots of "extras" when you buy a flight. The food on board is very expensive, and I might have heard their suggesting that the Pope is a catholic and that bears do things in the woods....

Exactly--you pays your money & you takes your choice!  We use RA frequently, and play their game--online check-in, Electron card, only hand baggage--never ever eat or drink--or even use the loo--on board.  It is just like a bus journey of just over 1 hour--and always on time --are we just lucky?  we just can't understand anything the flight attendants say--even the english/irish/scouse ones!!!  Do they undergo special training in how to speak quickly and unintelligibly??[:D]

Bubbles/Pickles

"The staff at Nimes airport won't let you take an empty bottle through. You would think that they ought to know the rules, wouldn't you? "

Moot point, but it sounds like the staff at Nimes do indeed know the ( daft) rules - under the current regulations you are not allowed to take any liquids container with a volume of greater than 100 ml "airside", even if it is only part full or even completely empty.

Yes, that's right Stefan; when the rules first came in and we were all unsure what was allowed, I took a special shampoo with me on a trip. Not a lot was in the 150ml bottle, and it didn't occur to me to decant it then. It was so obvious that only a little was in it, but it was confiscated. I was so upset! Older and wiser now!

GG

The main reason that Ryanair have a good time keeping record is that they avoid the main airports, where most delays originate. If you are the only commercial flight operating once a day into an airport like Dinard, it is unlikely you are going to find the same congestion as at Gatwick.

If everyone avoided checking in hold luggage, buying snacks and drinks on the plane and paid by Electron card then Ryanair would go bust! According to their own figures they make over euros 500 million from these extras, without which they would be making a loss of hundreds of millions.