Ryanair - what a rip-off !!!!!!

Iceni

Di is going to Portugal for a while to avoid the Lot winter. There are no direct flights from St Cere so the outward trip will be Rodez/Stansted/Faro with RA staying overnight with friends in England. Having noticed from La Depeche that TAP fly daily between Lisbon and Toulouse I have priced up her return journey as follows

TAP (Faro/Lisbon/Toulouse) - €391

RA (Faro/Stansted/Rodez) - €39 + GBP 35

I know that in RA's case there will be some extras and something for friends for the overnight stop but still a bit of a difference, eh?

At these prices who cares about customer service ?

John

We're in UK at the moment; our flight here and return to Nimes next week was priced at £1 per person per flight, all taxes and anything else included. As we've got Electron cards there's no fee when paying either. In fact, that was the charge I most loathed paying! So, yes, they made us travel, too!

GG [:D]

[quote user="Clarkkent"][quote user="PeterG"]

I am flying East Midlands-Nantes on Thusday. 4 return flights 8p inclusive.

[/quote]

Are you sure? I almost booked a 1p flight but then found it had over £30 of taxes and fees attached, so I took an alternative at £9.99 all-inclusive.

[/quote]

No that's absolutely it. No taxes, no booking fee, paid by electron. 8p the lot.

[quote user="Iceni"]

. Having noticed from La Depeche that TAP fly daily between Lisbon and Toulouse I have priced up her return journey as follows

TAP (Faro/Lisbon/Toulouse) - €391

John

[/quote]

But did you price up a round trip?

I've not done it with TAP, but I have with AF, BA and Lufthansa.

Last time I did this was AF.  Lyon Frankfurt one way about 800€ ; but 195€ round trip using the same date for the outbound flight.

No I don't understand the logic either except that if they can, they will.

[quote user="Mel"]

OK, so there is lots of good evidence there of the excellent bargains being enjoyed by so many people... But how the heck do they make their profits?

[/quote]

Sales of ancillaries are 20% of total revenues - approx 350 million.

John

[quote user="Iceni"][quote user="Mel"]OK, so there is lots of good evidence there of the excellent bargains being enjoyed by so many people... But how the heck do they make their profits?[/quote]

Sales of ancillaries are 20% of total revenues - approx 350 million.[/quote]

IIRC Ryanair has also until recently been able to make money from the sale of its used aircraft for slightly more than they paid for them new. It seems that Boeing is having second thoughts about continuing this and Airbus is not interested in bidding where its bid will only be used as a stick to beat down Boeing (it costs money to put a serious bid together).

Regards

Pickles

The profits were boosted by cheaper than anticipated oil prices and therefore aviation fuel. But this is not expected to continue and profits are forecast to come under pressure.

I believe I am correct in assuming that most members of this forum are retirees and therefore have the flexibility to book their travel dates around the cheapest fares. However, for many including those with school children who have to travel during the school holidays, people that need to travel at short notice, or who have limited date flexibility for reasons of work or other commitments, cheap fares on the low cost carriers can be illusive and in some cases more expensive than the traditional national carriers. Obviously, if everyone paid 1p for their tickets Ryanair would go out of business, but the reality is that the many passengers pay considerably more.

A note of caution though, in that we should enjoy the cheap flights whilst we can, as an announcement O'Leary made at the same time as the profits were announced, is causing some concern in the stock market, in that MOL said that Ryanair might not look to grow beyond 2012 when they reach their target of 90 million passengers and therefore would not need to order additional aircraft. What this means, is that Ryanair's business strategy would change from that of capital/passenger growth and hence the need for 1p fares, to maximising income and profit and therefore the cost of the flights would probably start to increase. Another problem MOL has, is that he knows that if he keeps the cost of flying too cheap for too long, he risks governments pushing up the price of flying further by increasing APD and taxes under the excuse of reducing CO2 emmissions. As it is the further increase in UK APD from November 2011, is bad enough.

[quote user="Frederick"]Seems their relationship with Boeing could be broken over the reduction in price they want for 200 new aircraft . I expect O,Leary will be happy to see Boeing workers on the dole as long as they cut the cost of his aircraft more than they have done already ![/quote]

It does sound like a typical O'Leary negotiating tactic, (ie negotiating via threats issued via the media) because one suspects that he knows he can't use Airbus this time as a serious threat to Boeing to force the price down.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Frederick"]Seems their relationship with Boeing could be broken over the reduction in price they want for 200 new aircraft . I expect O,Leary will be happy to see Boeing workers on the dole as long as they cut the cost of his aircraft more than they have done already ![/quote]

It does sound like a typical O'Leary negotiating tactic, (ie negotiating via threats issued via the media) because one suspects that he knows he can't use Airbus this time as a serious threat to Boeing to force the price down.

Regards

Pickles

[/quote]

He can go to Brazil for the Embraer 190 but would probably want it for the price of an Amazonian canoe

[quote user="Frederick"]

He can go to Brazil for the Embraer 190 but would probably want it for the price of an Amazonian canoe[/quote]

The E190 - what my brother-in-law calls a "jungle jet" - at around 100 seats, is no real match for a 189-seat 737-800 Ryanair special. Unless of course they combined the E190 fuselage with the "stand-up" seats mentioned earlier...

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Mel"]But how the heck do they make their profits?[/quote]

Yield management - business modelling which has been used by the airlines for some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yield_management

The arrival of computerised airline reservation systems - either in-house or the global systems which really made their presence felt from the late 90s - made yield management easy. In a nutshell, there'll be a few passengers on a flight on the 1p deal, others on a £10 deal, others on a £50 deal and others again on what comes close to a "normal" fare. Where Mr O'L excels is cutting down the overheads to an absolute minimum so even the "top" price is usually good value compared to companies like BA, KLM etc. And then, as someone said, he makes a lot on ancillary sales, particularly for services like food that are in the ticket price on other airlines.

And of course, Mr O'L rarely has to pay for advertising. [;-)]

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Frederick"] He can go to Brazil for the Embraer 190 but would probably want it for the price of an Amazonian canoe[/quote]
The E190 - what my brother-in-law calls a "jungle jet" - at around 100 seats, is no real match for a 189-seat 737-800 Ryanair special. Unless of course they combined the E190 fuselage with the "stand-up" seats mentioned earlier...

Regards
Pickles
[/quote]

Sounds just right in capacity for service to the Flying Club at Thouars![:D]

There may be many of us who don't particularly like the Ryanair service, but I had it brought home to me last night just how lucky (financially speaking) we are with them. I've just booked a return Carcassonne -Liverpool  for a mere 20 euros (hand luggage only, inc credit card charge). A German friend came over last night to use our computer to book a flight to Munich - only viable option is Lufthansa or Air France from Toulouse - and had to pay a whopping 315 euros and change flights at Lyon. of course she will get breakfast on board, and probably smiling hostesses, and be able to take a suitcase but ........ I for one wouldn't be visiting family very often at those kind of prices!

Lou

[quote user="Lou"]

There may be many of us who don't particularly like the Ryanair service, but I had it brought home to me last night just how lucky (financially speaking) we are with them. I've just booked a return Carcassonne -Liverpool  for a mere 20 euros (hand luggage only, inc credit card charge). A German friend came over last night to use our computer to book a flight to Munich - only viable option is Lufthansa or Air France from Toulouse - and had to pay a whopping 315 euros and change flights at Lyon. of course she will get breakfast on board, and probably smiling hostesses, and be able to take a suitcase but ........ I for one wouldn't be visiting family very often at those kind of prices!

Lou

[/quote]

Personally and not being German, I would have picked up the Carcasonne Ryan flight on the 25 Nov to Stansted and then flown out later in the day with EasyJet to Munich.

Regular Fare

Départ :
Carcassonne 14:40

Arrivée :
Londres Stansted 15:35

1 x Adult 0,00 EUR

Tarifs :  0,00 EUR
Enregistrement en ligne :  5,00 EUR
Taxes / Frais :  26,83 EUR
Prix total :  31,83 EUR
  Regular Fare Adulte
 0,00 EUR
  Mer, 25 Nov 09
VolFR 73 14:40 Départ
15:35 Arrivée

London Stansted to Munich

Dep 25 November 2009 18:05
Arr 25 November 2009 20:55
Flight 3417
1 Adult
1 x £23.99

As RyanAir always arrive EARLY the german lady would have had at least 2 hours to make the connection.

Total cost about £ 55

Of course she might have needed to choose a RyanAir flight on day with a higher price.

EasyJet flights are less variable in the short term.

Bratwürste supplied free.