Bergerac to SW England

Flybe have just released their Exeter 2010 flights and no Bergerac route is included Sad

. Ryanair have also completely removed the Bergerac-Bristol route from

their website. This is obviously a significant reduction of routes from

Dordogne to SW England. Has anyone heard any rumours or further

informaion about these decisions which may indicate how permanant they

are ?

A few people are going to be faced with longer journeys as result.

Hi Greyman,

Looking at the response to your post, it seems that it`s only you and myself that need to get back to the west country!!

I agree,Ryanair and Flybe are not forthcoming with any schedules to Bergerac, so I have booked with Easyjet, Bristol to Bordeaux, return for £112 (2 adults ) in March 2010.

Although I prefer Bergerac, there seems no option.

I know that Southampton isn't the south west, but Flybe's schedule to Bergerac still appears to be operating this winter (daily exc Weds & Sats).

Add to that the fact that rail links in to the adjacent airport station are pretty good .............. ????

I emailed flybe as we want to arrange a group trip for my sons rugby team next year to Devon... they say that at the moment it looks like the route isn't operating but they wont make a final decision until end of November... so I guess we'll just wait and see. 

The problem for Flybe is that neither Bergerac nor Bristol are what they deem as bases.  They have no engineering facility there so if something goes wrong there is a big delay whilst an engineer or another plane is flown in.  My son was caught for 24 hours at Bergerac a few months ago as an engineer had to be flown in from UK to sign off on a few technical problems (and he was the pilot).  Any route between 2 "non bases" is likely to be cut if not running at optimum load factors.

Stan, the Bergerac FlyBe flghts come from Exeter which is their HQ ! It's the Ryanair flights which come from Bristol. It's a real shame FlyBe have cut this route because Exeter is very important for the people of the South West, being stuck out on a limb and no other airport in easy reach. The problem for us is that my elderly parents use this route and my 14 year old son, neither of whom can easily reach an alternative. But it is part of the deal of being a flight away from family so we will find a solution albeit a pain in the rear.

[quote user="greyman"]Stan, the Bergerac FlyBe flghts come from Exeter which is their HQ ! It's the Ryanair flights which come from Bristol. It's a real shame FlyBe have cut this route because Exeter is very important for the people of the South West, being stuck out on a limb and no other airport in easy reach. The problem for us is that my elderly parents use this route and my 14 year old son, neither of whom can easily reach an alternative. But it is part of the deal of being a flight away from family so we will find a solution albeit a pain in the rear.
[/quote]

Sorry I had this post in the back of my mind and happened to see my son last night.  Had the OP airports muddled.  (He could have told me it wasnt Bristol Bergerac - but technically he was correct - neither are "bases")

Just had to attend an Inquest in Taunton.  What a palaver, had to fly Bergerac to Southampton, car hire, long drive to where we were staying, Inquest in Taunton, then long drive back to Southampton.  We have several friends locally who rely on the Bristol and Exeter routes and they seem very popular but economic decisions take priority I fear.  Exeter or Bristol would have suited us much better.Our circumstances to travel were exceptional but for west country people this will be a nightmare especially when the Bristol flight is so popular.

• 2 weeks later...
Shame they could not have reinstated flights to Bristol from any airport other than Toulouse for the Xmas period. We are now having to drive for six hours and then a six hour crossing ( it will be rough I just know it ). Coming back we are having to do Poole to Cherbourg as BF are not resuming any crossings from Plymouth to Roscoff until February. I bet if Ryan air knew that they might have thought twice about cancelling flights to  Bristol.