Crossing the Channel above and below closed

PaulT

Just read on BBC News that Euotunnel is closed because 4 Eurostar trains have broken down in the tunnel - apparently they do not like going from the cold outside in to the warm tunnel.

Plus the ferries are not running.

The police have put operation stack in place.

Interestingly, it is only Eurotunnel that let passengers know there is no service, not a mention on the ferries websites.

Paul

I was listening just now to passengers who couldn't travel back to UK. They sounded as though they were going from pillar to post, with no info; ''if they'd told us we were going to have to wait 4 hours, then drive back into a queue, we wouldn't have minded, we'd at least have known!'' was the flavour of it.

I also heard there'll be a strike of security people today; pity the poor people stuck already!

Add in BA problems plus Ryanair and Easyjet, following the snow; staying tucked up warm and cosy at home or a brisk walk in the snow sound excellent ideas; even local Christmas shopping doesn't sound as bad!

In a variation of the (in)famous Times headline:

CHAOS IN CHANNEL: CONTINENT ISOLATED

I must admit, however, that for a hi-tech system like Euritunnel to be affected by a problem like this is bizarre. Do other TGV-based trains suffer similar problems? I am also surprised that after two major tunnel fires Eurotunnel does not seem to have any emergency system for removing stranded trains.

Poor people trapped for many hours - they complained of lack of air and were told to take shallow breaths to conserve what there was!

Personally I'd have legged it into the support tunnel and walked back.

No smirking as mosy passengers were on their way back from EuroDizzy.

It saddens me somewhat that mankind has the engineering ability to dig the tunnel in the first place, yet lacks the nouse to make the bloody trains run as they should.

We have had leaves on the line and the wrong kind of snow, now its the wrong temperature in the tunnels.[8-)]

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

In a variation of the (in)famous Times headline:

CHAOS IN CHANNEL: CONTINENT ISOLATED

I must admit, however, that for a hi-tech system like Euritunnel to be affected by a problem like this is bizarre. Do other TGV-based trains suffer similar problems? I am also surprised that after two major tunnel fires Eurotunnel does not seem to have any emergency system for removing stranded trains.

[/quote]

Just a minute, the problems is not a failure by Eurotunnel but Eurostar trains.

I dare say Eurostar gave Eurotunnel some grief over the fire. Wonder what Eurotunnel is saying to Eurostar about their trains!

THE SAD STORY OF HENRY

There once was a train

that was affraid of a few drops of rain

It went in to a tunnel

Sqeeked through its funnel

and never came out again

At my age I can still remember bits of the Tank Engine Thomas stories AND I do not have kids

Paul

With 5 trains stuck and the people stranded for so long it puts big doubts in my mind as to the safety of the tunnel or the ability to get passengers out quickly.

If this had been a fire rather than 'French bad weather' it doesn't bear thinking about.

[quote user="Dog"]

With 5 trains stuck and the people stranded for so long it puts big doubts in my mind as to the safety of the tunnel or the ability to get passengers out quickly.

If this had been a fire rather than 'French bad weather' it doesn't bear thinking about.

[/quote]

Don't always agree with you but I do in this case. [B]

[quote user="P2"]Just a minute, the problems is not a failure by Eurotunnel but Eurostar trains. I dare say Eurostar gave Eurotunnel some grief over the fire. Wonder what Eurotunnel is saying to Eurostar about their trains! [/quote]

The tunnel belongs to Eurotunnel, it gives running rights through it to Eurostar. Eurotunnel's revenue is damaged if it cannot give access to all users - including its own Shuttle services. If a train breaks down in the tunnel then it is in everyone's interest that the obstruction be removed as quickly as possible. I remain surprised that Eurotunnel does not seem able to ensure that the tunnel does not remain blocked. As others here have noted, there are safety matters here. There is a strong safety case for hauling broken-down trains out into the open air.

[quote user="Dog"]

Personally I'd have legged it into the support tunnel and walked back.

[/quote]

If you had managed to get someone to open the doors - people were trapped, train staff expressly ordered to keep all doors closed....

Just imagine, for someone suffering from claustrophobia, eeeeeekkk!