Advice

Gardian

We're booked on TGV / Eurostar to return to the UK on Weds 23rd: looks decidedly iffy, with no announcement as yet from the latter.  Doesn't augur well.

So, we're pretty much resigned to the probability of having to drive back [:@], but needs must. Anyway, may I call on some advice from you 'Western Channel' regulars? I never take much notice of the ups and downs of the current situation there (LD Lines, etc).

Preferred option would be in to Pompey rather than Dover (destination is Berkshire). Forgive me, but I could trawl the websites, but quick feedback on the options would be really helpful. I may need to move fast if Eurostar knock everything on the head. Not bothered whether Caen / Le Havre / Cherbourg as point of dep.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Gay - I saw it just after they posted it.  Next announcement 18.00 tomorrow.

Trouble of course is that you have to start thinking about your alternatives, hence the thread. You can't book the alternative, till you know that they're definitely not going to run a service and hence that you're going to get a refund. (not insignificant from all this way)

I've sent them a snottogram (for what it's worth), just to say "These things happen, but would you kindly make a decision", (or something along those lines) but of course I was wasting my time.  I can understand the difficulty: Engineering vs Commercial decisions.  Doesn't help us though.

Current view from OH though is BF ex Caen. The way I feel at the moment, probably won't wait for them to make up their mind and I'll just book it anyway and fight it out afterwards.

The 10.00 news has just said that Eurostar realise they will not be able to deal with those that have booked for the next few days plus the back log.......

I'm with Mrs Gardian, Caen would be my choice too, just under £300 as far as I could see but that didn't include a cabin - main roads in Berkshire are clear, its just side roads that are treacherous....

When the BBC interviewed the CEO of Eurostar on Sunday he seemed very nervous - plus I do not think he should have been smiling whilst apologising.

The Daily Mail was reporting that Claudia Shiffer, who was on one of the trains got special treatment!

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Glad you have booked, even Eurotunnel is currently closed to new arrivals due to sheer volume.

[/quote]

Yes, I decided early on to avoid the Tunnel.

Still, we'll battle on with that intrepid British spirit, maintaining a totally rigid stiff upper lip. What with the blankets, spade, thermos flask and the wine (that we wouldn't have been able to bring, but sons now see this as an opportunity), OH may have to travel on the roof.[:-))]

Not off till Weds, so plenty of time to savour the rain & cold down here!

Let's hope not; a spokesperson was saying yesterday that anyone with a booking up to Christmas Eve who wanted to cancel would get a full refund. They have to contact Eurostar to cancel, not just not turn up. Surely they must honour such promises. They'll have a long hard task to remove these events from the collective memory; they sell themselves as being the no-fus way to travel!

I think its prety fair to say that Berkshire is a mess this morning with abandoned cars where people just couldn't get any further. We still have a great deal of ice under the snow and several routes are closed. If your end location is on a hill be prepared !

The best update I found last night was www.rac.co.uk/traffic-information/ 

( My son took thre and a half hours to get from Bracknell to Reading, normally 20 - 25 minutes max !, arrived home at 12.30 am this morning )

[quote user="gardengirl "]They have to contact Eurostar to cancel, not just not turn up. Surely they must honour such promises. [/quote]

Thanks for the warning GG.  As a result, I just rang Eurostar (got through pretty quickly in the circs) and was assured that there was no need to cancel. Refund applications can be made up to two months after due date of travel.  So, sounds OK. 

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Mel"]Nothing wrong with the drive, it will be comfortable and easy-going... ...until you get to England![/quote]

England was the easy bit.

We naively thought that the motorways in France would be busy, but ......... well, alright. The plan was to get to Caen early evening and enjoy a pleasant dinner somewhere before embarkation. We got to Lyon around 11.30 and hit gridlock. Broken down lorry in one of the tunnels: nearly 2hr crawl. Then 2 lots of emergency roadworks (snow & ice damage to the roadsurface) after Beaune. We didn't clear Paris till 20.30, with check-in due no later than 22.15. It's around 230kms from there to Caen, with another 15min further on to Ouistreham!

Let's just say that I took more than a few liberties with the speed limits and leave it at that. I got my just deserts by getting 'pinged' by a camera just outside Caen, but we made it with literally one minute to spare. The speeding ticket (€45) was here to welcome us on our return yesterday.

The rest of the journey was uneventful, including the return.