Ryanair latest scam

Just made my first booking of the year using my Caxton Mastercard prepaid debit card. All worked fine except that when paying in sterling it incurred a fee of £1.50 - which I had expected but still less than Ryanair would have charged.

However one of my flights is a single trip from France to UK where it is priced in Euros. The Ryanair website "helpfully" offers you a guaranteed rate to pay in sterling, but, no prizes for guessing, the rate is lousy. They offered to fix at 1.05 to £ whilst Caxton card conversion comes out at 1.08. Not much in it (around £12 overall this time) but over time it adds up. So take care to UNTICK the guaranteed rate "offer" box unless you are using a credit card which you think will give you an even worse rate. I am not sure if, had I paid in sterling, I would have had to pay the Caxton £1.50 charge as well to rub salt into the wound! Basic rule as far as I am concerned is book the cheap flights but avoid anyting else as far as you can as. in my experience at least, none of the additional services they offer are good value - that certainly goes for car hire, insurance and hotels (as well as exchange rates) all of which I have priced from time to time and always got a better deal than from Ryanair.

Andy said: Basic rule as far as I am concerned is book the cheap flights but avoid

anyting else as far as you can as. in my experience at least, none of

the additional services they offer are good value - that certainly goes

for car hire, insurance and hotels (as well as exchange rates) all of

which I have priced from time to time and always got a better deal than

from Ryanair

While I agree in principle,we have done lots of checking and find that the Ryanair price for Stansted Express train tickets to London bought on-line or on the flight, cant be beaten.

Again i agree whenever and whatever you book through Ryanair you must use caution. but even as a gold club member at Hertz i still find it cheaper to book a car with Hertz using the Ryanair link rather than booking direct from the Hertz website!!

scam?  To me a scam is when someone tries to con you out of money by false advertsining/illegal methods - Ryanair have clearly stated the exchange rate they use which is probably similar to other operators.

Did you look at other airlines for your flights?  If so, were the dearer ones trying to scam you?

Like Shoop, I often find booking Hertz via Ryanair is much cheaper than other companies - 7 days hire for an Astra sized car for £144 later this month from poitiers - others were at least £175.

Again i agree whenever and whatever you book through Ryanair you must use caution. but even as a gold club member at Hertz i still find it cheaper to book a car with Hertz using the Ryanair link rather than booking direct from the Hertz website!!

Shoop As a gold card member try and find a discount code to attach to your account, it will be there for evermore. I was an Institute of Directors member for a year and have received their "discount" ever since. I then end up with Hertz prices under Ryanairs.

Thanks  Stan, but unsure where i can access this discount code from, have seen when logging on as a member an appropriate box to insert one but  thought that the Gold club membership only gave a 5% discount when booking, anymore more information would be welcome................cheers Shoop