SANEF/LIber-T Autoroute Toll-Master

Ian

about to buy a place in Mantilly (Orne), was considering whether to get a TAG or not, was hoping to get out at least once a month or every 2 months and wondered if it would save me money, currently have a Dartford River Crossing TAG and save 50p a trip. Is there a saving with the SANEF/LIber-T Autoroute Toll-Master?

Ian

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ian, there are several threads on here with all the pros and cons of what folks like to call a 'doofer'. Mostly pros, I have to say! Con, if it's a con, is that it doesn't (well, mine doesn't) save you money. But I am a big fan anyway,as are most users that post on here.

Do a search on Sanef or doofer, or start off with this one (I hope I have done this right, sorry if not):

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1219033/ShowPost.aspx

Best

Fay

Have just bought my "doofer" - best thing since sliced bread!  No more jumping out of the car in driving rain and wind to collect ticket and then dropping money or not having right money. (RHD cars of course)

I ordered it on line and it arrived 3/4 days later.  Cost 30Es plus usual 1 something charges.  This is returnable deposit.  Comes in a "silver" bag which you should retain and keep the doofer itself in.  There is an attachment which you stick on windscreen just behind mirror, but as I have more than one vehicle I just held it up until beeped and then barrier went up both ends of peage.  No money saving but  so easy and quick as no queuing.

Highly recommend one.

Some kind person has put a translation of the form on the forum which I printed out and followed which made life very easy.  Can be found under appropriate heading.

Kim - the first time is nerve-wracking as you get slower and closer to the barrier... I was convinced it wouldn't work and then came a cheery 'beep' and away I went!

Might be worth seeing if you can get another silver bag - if not, I think you need to be careful not to put anything like credit cards/iPods/laptops near to it, as it might scramble them. This is what I was told, anyway.

I once took it on a plane (I think quite a few here do) and I rather think that without it being in its silver bag I may have had problems.

Fay

I see they are also offering a 'mini-doofer' about the size of a brico, I have the large old-fashioned (or 'classic' as I like to term it) doofer.

Forget about the silvered bag on planes or it wiping your credit cards, it won't.  It doesn't emit anything until 'interrogated' by the barrier and even then it's only half a gnat's f@rt

The idea of the silver bag is to stop it from charging you when you go through an autoroute toll booth and you are using someone elses 'doofer'. For example, when I leave France I take my doofer with me, to prevent it being stolen and I don't want to find I am being charged as the taxi takes me to the airport via the A8, because my doofer is in my hand luggage!

[quote user="Fay"]I think you need to be careful not to put anything like credit cards/iPods/laptops near to it, as it might scramble them. This is what I was told, anyway.[/quote]

Sorry Fay, I don't mean to mock but I just love these sort of 'I was told' howlers [:D][:D][:D]

Pierre:

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]I see they are also offering a 'mini-doofer' about the size of a brico[/quote]

Would that be Mr Bricolage or Brico Marche, either way it wouldn't fit on my windscreen [:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="Sprogster"]. For example, when I leave France I take my doofer with me, to prevent it being stolen ![/quote]

Oh not the stolen thing again.

I have never heard of anyone who actually knows anyone who has had the doofer stolen.  Sadly I can now go one step further - my car was broken into in France last week and they did not steal the doofer.

It has very limited use and is so easy to deactivate that it is not going to be worth the while of stealing it.  Imagine you are on the motorway with a stolen doofer when it is deactivated - now what are you going to do?  Own up at the toll booth and be banged to rights?

I know that there have been may threads on this but.....

Does one doofer cover the whole of France? If so then it certainly does sound better than lining up at some of the tolls to pay. SWMBO will also be pleased as I will not be waking her with a shout of 'ticket' or 'pay booth'.

Paul

Thanks.

Just looked at:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/1577419/ShowPost.aspx#1577419

and one of the posts seems to favour ALIS as there is no deposit etc.

ALIS classifies class1 as up to 2m. However, in one of the site I looked at it appeared the height sign over the lane was something like 1.8m. Would someone confirm what the height limit is on the lanes as we normally travel with a roof box on.

Thanks

Paul

Well, just applied for one of the Alis doofers. From another forum obtained the contact details of someone to whom you could either email or phone who spoke English and that the forms could be scanned and emailed. Emailed her this morning, filled in the simple form, emialed it back along with an RIB and it will be posted out tomorrow.

For a country that is supposed to be so wrapped up in bureaucracy I wonder how I would have fared applying for a Dartford tag?

Paul

I have to say that a Dartford tag is (if possible) even easier and peasier.

Simple form (online I think now) select how much to load and what your 'low'  level is so that the barriers tell you you are running out of credit, name, address and that's it. I generally put 20 quid on and the barriers tell me when I'm below a fiver left.

I even emailed them for a second doofer and they said sure and linked it to the account of the first.

I believe there are various options like auto topup etc but I didn't need this.

[quote user="P2"]

Well, just applied for one of the Alis doofers. From another forum obtained the contact details of someone to whom you could either email or phone who spoke English and that the forms could be scanned and emailed. Emailed her this morning, filled in the simple form, emialed it back along with an RIB and it will be posted out tomorrow.

For a country that is supposed to be so wrapped up in bureaucracy I wonder how I would have fared applying for a Dartford tag?

Paul

[/quote]

Paul

Would you mind posting those contact details, or sending me a PM if you prefer.

Thanks

Alan

[quote user="P2"]

I know that there have been may threads on this but.....

Does one doofer cover the whole of France? If so then it certainly does sound better than lining up at some of the tolls to pay. SWMBO will also be pleased as I will not be waking her with a shout of 'ticket' or 'pay booth'.

Paul

[/quote]

Ernie's answer of yes is 99.99% right, but just to warn you that there are a few bits of toll road that bizzarely are not covered - so for example there is a toll on the northern section of the Lyon pereferique that has its own doofer system but does not read the peage doofer.  So on the motorways yes the doofer is universal but on other bits of toll road it may not be.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"][quote user="P2"]

Paul

[/quote]

Paul

Thanks

Alan

[/quote]

Alan

The contact person (in English) is Catherine Zurkinden.

Email address [email protected]

0033232202188 and ask for Catherine (have not tried this).

The beauty of Alis for the doofer is that there is no deposit or monthly charge.

Paul

That's a good point and I also seem to recall that the doofer is not valid for a few tunnels down around Mont Blanc.  Apart from that it's plain sailing, untill the bill turns up the following month - HOW MUCH !!!

It's quite easy to rack up a lot of Euros on a long motorway trip.  Of course you would pay the same if you stopped at each pay booth but it came as a surprise to me on my last big trip. (I somehow sort of miscalculated how much it would be beforehand and yes, I did use the Michelin website - I think I forgot about the return journey, ooops)

[quote user="P2"][quote user="Alan Zoff"][quote user="P2"]

Paul

[/quote]

Paul

Thanks

Alan

[/quote]

Alan

The contact person (in English) is Catherine Zurkinden.

Email address [email protected]

0033232202188 and ask for Catherine (have not tried this).

The beauty of Alis for the doofer is that there is no deposit or monthly charge.

Paul

[/quote]

Thank you for the information Paul