New Portsmouth-Cherbourg service

Will

Brittany Ferries has confirmed that the new addition to its fleet, Cap Finistere (ex Mediterranean ferry Superfast V) will be offering passenger services as well as freight between Portsmouth and Cherbourg on three days per week starting 22 March. The Cherbourg-Portsmouth leg will be overnight.

Bad news for us who have enjoyed the good and reliable service from the Barfleur,Poole/Cherbourg. The reason for the selling of this ship and cancellation of this service is that it's been making a loss since 2003, The Bournemouth Echo is offering 24 hr returns fo £5. Might be part of the shortfall in cash? Average return fromCherbourg using Home Owners discount £150!!!!!

I too will miss Poole but its fine France - Poole but our family live in Bristol and the road from Poole to Bristol is not a very good drive and sometimes it can take me well over two hours to do just 86 miles.

I much prefer Cherbourg to Caen and there is now almost a joined up dual carriageway from St Lo to Carentan. Overnight from Cherbourg is wonderful just park up early get a taxi into the town and dine well on the quayside.

At the moment trying to organise a trip back to the UK for the Wales v France rugby match on the 26th February. One car four people three cabins leaving 24th coming back 27th overnight. Almost £600 even with members discount. Have to rethink and if Poole overnight was still going? that would be helpful

• 2 months later...
I have been looking through the earlier threads but can't find much about this. Will there be no BF crossings from Poole to Cherbourg next winter at all? We used the Barfleur regularly. Use the fastcrafts in the summer.

We used to go Portsmouth - Cherbourg with P&O, now that's gone.

Portsmouth is nearer for us, but Poole OK too. The crossing to Caen is so long and we have the dog with us (so overnight crossings no good either).

How frustrating.

Will there be no BF crossings from Poole to Cherbourg next winter at all?

That's the current intention, though meetings are taking place between BF and the French local authorities who are trying to get the service reinstated.

Reading the above posting from BJSLIV,I hope that the Poole Harbour Authority will be renegogiating the harbour fees with B.F. and joining in those talks. The extra time talen on crossings to Portsmouth is and always been a pain. The design of the new ferries seems to miss the point that hundreds of passengers might want a HOT cup of coffee or a breakfast,even the loading and unloading of cars seem to now be a bit of a performance.So much easier and quicker on the Barfleur.

The basic fact, which I am sure will not be very acceptable to most forum users, is that most ferry routes (except those that are operated with fast craft) are run for freight traffic and passengers are very much a second priority, albeit one that can provide a useful sideline at peak times. Poole has proved unpopular with freight operators mainly due to the road infrastructure, whereas Portsmouth port has direct motorway links. I think that Poole Harbour Authority would have a very difficult job persuading any ferry company that it is a viable port for ro-ro freight.

In Poole's case the service was freight-only for much of the winter for some time, with the Barfleur covering for dockings of other ships. Passenger traffic is catered for during the summer season with the fast craft. As it is not feasible to run fast craft on this route over the winter, it looks as if passengers have no alternative other than to travel to Portsmouth for out-of-season crossings.