France or US?

gurnani

Hi there,

This is my first post in this forum. I am really elated to find such a nice and actively put discussion web. Well, I have a huge concern. Soon in about 3 months, I would be moving out for my native place. I have to decide where should I head to. It has to be between France and east coast (US). I am planning to stay in the desired place for a period of 1 year. I have already been to the central US for a small period and found it nice. Europe has really been a dream destination to me. I am still confused about both the options.

It would be great if someone could help me with the options.

Thanks

[quote user="gurnani"]Hi there,
This is my first post in this forum. I am really elated to find such a nice and actively put discussion web. Well, I have a huge concern. Soon in about 3 months, I would be moving out for my native place. I have to decide where should I head to. It has to be between France and east coast (US). I am planning to stay in the desired place for a period of 1 year. I have already been to the central US for a small period and found it nice. Europe has really been a dream destination to me. I am still confused about both the options.

Thanks

[/quote]

A very difficult choice, but if I was young and looking ahead for the future I would opt for America. If your choice is France and you need to work, make sure you are fully qualified, speak fluent French and have a contract for a job. There is very little casual work available in France, and the government stamps down hard on unofficial labour. Good luck.

1. In US they speak a version of English

2. France is easier to get into and stay if you are from EU.

3. If you are an "ethnic minority" you will probably merge in better in US

4. Both are protectionist about foreigners getting jobs.

5. The grass is rarely greener in the next field.

6. No-one can make the choice for you.

John

[quote user="Iceni"]

1. In US they speak a version of English

2. France is easier to get into and stay if you are from EU.

3. If you are an "ethnic minority" you will probably merge in better in US

4. Both are protectionist about foreigners getting jobs.

5. The grass is rarely greener in the next field.

6. No-one can make the choice for you.

John

[/quote]

1. Agreed. I am looking forward to learn french as well, currently learning from Rosetta stone. Could you or anyone suggest me the best book/software to learn french early. I am looking to do that in 3 months period as when I actually have to decide between the two, language problem is not included. :)

2. Well, I belong to non-EU.

3. Nope, not from the minority as well.

4.I already have a job, but I guess i have to decide at the end where would I like to be posted.

6. I would still love to hear from other people as well on what they think on this situation. :)

Thanks for the reply man

[quote user="NickP"]

[quote user="gurnani"]Hi there,

Thanks

[/quote]

A very difficult choice, but if I was young and looking ahead for the future I would opt for America. If your choice is France and you need to work, make sure you are fully qualified, speak fluent French and have a contract for a job. There is very little casual work available in France, and the government stamps down hard on unofficial labour. Good luck.

[/quote]

Hey man. Everything you said in my case is right (young, qualified, job) except for the fact that I don't know French. Though in my previous post, I have mentioned my need to learn french and asked about a best book/software to learn French except Rosetta stone in 3 months .