Expect some flight disruptions tomorrow.....

RicandJo

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're going by tunnel; I wonder how many other cars will be on it? One train before ours shows as sold out, or maybe they're amalgamating as often happens outside main holiday times. Glad to hear you'll be on your way. We've been so very lucky to get the offer of a lift to France from friends who are bringing stranded family back to UK and thought of us stuck in UK.  [:D]

I travelled from Caen to Portsmouth on Saturday, and the ferry (Normandie)was very busy. If you were lucky you were able to find a seat, (the only comfy ones left were in the cinema). I almost felt sorry for the people who were preparing food as the queues for the self service cafe were non stop, and it wasn't much better for the restaurant.

The biggest problem was trying to get through all the people to get to the car decks at the end of the crossing, because foot passengers had congregated at the foot of the main staircase with all their luggage. B.F. need to review their disembarkation proceedures, as a lot of unnecessary tension could have been avoided.[:@]

On the same day my daughter who travelled  from Portsmouth to Cherbourg on the 'fast cat' said her crossing was very quiet.

With one nephew stranded in L.A.who has been told he could be there until the end of the month, and another somehere in Poland,who is trying to find his way back via trains etc I hope that they will be soon back in the U.K.

Best of luck to all those who have to travel in an emergency.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]Has anyone blamed the erupton on the government yet?[/quote]

Interviewer on Irish radio, talking to Michael O'Leary about the ash cloud, "So, who's to blame for this then?"

MO'L: "Errr ..... God?"

Regards

Pickles

Have been in constant touch with friends who have been holidaying in Egypt: were due to fly back from Sharm el Sheikh last Friday.

Their tour operator has apparently been excellent - they were put in to a decent hotel. Others not so lucky: lilos at the airport.

Just heard that they are on a flight very early this morning to (somewhere in) Spain, then coach to the UK. Not great, but better than nothing.

They were due here for a long weekend in a few weeks time: I think that they'll be cancelling!!

[quote user="Russethouse"]It's reported that a 16 year old girl is waiting for bone marrow from Canada and its critical that she gets it in the next few days[/quote]

It's tragic!

If it was my daughter I would be distraught with grief!  The thought terrifies me!  I am not making light of this  RH.  We have all been reminded in one small way or another big way that we are not the ones who decide what we do on this planet. 

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="TWINKLE"]Has anyone blamed the erupton on the government yet?[/quote]

Interviewer on Irish radio, talking to Michael O'Leary about the ash cloud, "So, who's to blame for this then?"
MO'L: "Errr ..... God?"

Regards
Pickles
[/quote]

Begorrah!

That Mick's a clever bloke!

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

[quote user="Russethouse"]It's reported that a 16 year old girl is waiting for bone marrow from Canada and its critical that she gets it in the next few days[/quote]

It's tragic!

If it was my daughter I would be distraught with grief!  The thought terrifies me!  I am not making light of this  RH.  We have all been reminded in one small way or another big way that we are not the ones who decide what we do on this planet. 

[/quote]

It wasn't aimed at you Twinks, but for some people it is tragic, I particularly feel for those guys in Afghanistan, if they are injured now they can't be Medivac'd out, that could be life or death, the loss of a limb or not....even though I know they'll do their best locally.

Ryanair has an update; flights from UK etc off till at least 1pm Thursday, although flights from Marseille southwards are to start earlier. They are also putting on flights from the Canaries for passengers who've been stranded; their own passengers initially, then offered to others.

06.52 here in south of England. The sky is blue and quiet. No planes have passed over us yet, and we're on the flightpath to Heathrow. A majority of flights shown on departures as cancelled, especially before 10.00. I guess things will take a while to get going. Our son has a flight due out with BA this morning from Heathrow, but still great uncertainty. As I can't remember whether he's going to Houston, JFK or Newark this time it doesn't help. JFK is cancelled but the other 2 are estimated to leave on time. If he doesn't fly this time he won't go at all, as he's due on a training course today, and it won't be worth it if he misses more days.

I think the birds will get a bit of a shock when the planes get going again; only red kites have been skimming around above us constantly.

Good luck with your trip home AnOther.

Well according to UK press there's nothing to worry about but in the Figaro today it says that so far three engines on different aircraft have been damaged by ash.

The bit I really loved was that when you go through the list of countries effected guess which one wasn't...... Iceland, because the wind blew the ash away (that's true by the way), magic. [:P]

Message from the Icelandic Prime Minister

We gave you Viking invaders, Bjork and financial ruin - so you know we're serious.

Three strikes: we're out - we have nothing to lose.

Leave thirty billion euros at the Icelandic Embassy by tonight and we will turn off the volcano.

Iceland.

[quote user="gardengirl "]Good luck with your trip home AnOther.[/quote]Thanks for the good wishes. Already been bumped for today but due off at sparrow fart tomorrow. Not altogether bad as it does give me a much wider choice of carriers and times out of Aberdeen though and I'm actually booked on a BA flight at 11:30 whereas normally I wouldn't be getting out of there until 4:30 or 5 ish so fingers crossed some semblance of normality has resumed by then [;-)]

I don't really get the comparison of fighter jet engines being damaged to passenger jet engines. The two engines are totally different. Fast jets use low bypass engines whereby 80% of the air sucked in by the intake goes through the core of the engine. Obviously in areas of light ash concentration their damage threshold will be much lower than that of passenger jets because so much more air goes through the core. Passenger jets use high bypass engines - only 20% of the air sucked in actually goes through the core.

Obviously prolonged flight through even low concentrations may cause a degree of damage which is why the CAA have stipulated an implementation of maintenance inspections for ash contaminations every day until further notice.........funny that, imagine my surprise!

[quote user="RicandJo"]I don't really get the comparison of fighter jet engines being damaged to passenger jet engines. The two engines are totally different. Fast jets use low bypass engines whereby 80% of the air sucked in by the intake goes through the core of the engine. Obviously in areas of light ash concentration their damage threshold will be much lower than that of passenger jets because so much more air goes through the core. Passenger jets use high bypass engines - only 20% of the air sucked in actually goes through the core. Obviously prolonged flight through even low concentrations may cause a degree of damage which is why the CAA have stipulated an implementation of maintenance inspections for ash contaminations every day until further notice.........funny that, imagine my surprise![/quote]

The offending sentence terminated with "rams".The inference from the original report in the finnish press is that it gives a quick indication; bit like canaries hanging upside down on their perches.

Not a happy bunny, b**lloxed again this morning whilst under starters orders.

Aberdeen airport is supposedly fully operational for fixed wing yet the choppers are on indefinite hold again - WTF?

Pussies wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes in 'nam !

That's my 11:30 flight stuffed then and by extension my onward connection out of Heathrow.

Of course all flights on all carriers out of Aberdeen are fully booked and the airlines say they are not accepting standby passengers.

grrrrrrrrrr

Where are you Jim for them to be doing Billy Pew or Frog transfers ?

There has been talk of it out here where it's been off the menu on 'elf and safety' grounds for some time even if they give it the OK the majority of installations, us included, don't even possess one anymore. Another problem is that to save on inspection and certification costs the cranes are not certified for man riding. You can swing 7.5t containers over the side all day long but put a basket with 4 bodies in it on the end of the hook and suddenly it's an unacceptable load !

The logistics of moving literally hundreds if not thousands of people around by boat don't even bear contemplation, and as for a 12 hour steam in rough weather, well...........................!

Good luck to you andy.

Latest is that they are talking to Sikorsky (the engine makers) with a view to moving the goalposts (as they have done for the fixed wing) because the root problem is the insurance telling them that they cannot fly outwith the existing parameters.