Why?

Because I suspect you looked at www.transmanche.co.uk, which is a site operated by a booking agent. www.transmancheferries.com takes you to LD Lines, which is the 'official' operating and booking company for Transmanche. The agency site does all it can to look like an official representative for a number of ferry operators, but if you go to the 'contact us' page and look at the small print at the bottom all will become clear.

Clear as mud actually, because the agent in this case is part of the same company that provides LD Lines' UK support and booking services (and also proved very unsuccessful at operating ferries itself under the HD Ferries name).

Thanks Will that does make sense I was just a bit shocked at the difference.

Therese thank you Yes my Twingo goes very well now thank you :-) I am always lurking and reading the posts but evertime i post on a thread it dies so i stopped.

I was booking ferries for summer hols I ended up paying £240 paying for 2 single trips I wanted to do portsmouth to st malo but hubby went made that was just under £600 :-( so looks like its the five hour drive to the house from dieppe :-)

Why, when I try to book with Brittany (admittedly for a camion) do they think I'm going to pay £470 from Portsmouth to Caen, when LD are happy to charge only £250 (plus £5 for Carte Bleu[:@]) for Portsmouth to Le Havre including the fast cat on the way out, same August -Sept dates etc. Having travelled at great expense with Brittany several times recently their standards have dropped, sailed late one morning and ran out of Breakfast offer (way out), Seating on way back was gobbled up by hordes of footpads, likewise cafe, queues round the boat. LD can't be worse[blink].

[quote user="Mme poivre"]JJ we are used to LD lines and we have travelled on the Seven sisters more times than we can remember now - always have to wait until the all the cabins have been sold though otherwise they make you buy one. Usually a really good trip as well.[/quote]

I don't understand - why do you have to buy a cabin?  Don't they have any seating, ie recliners etc?

• 4 weeks later...

On some routes  (Portsmouth) you do have to select seats or cabins , but the seats are a no cost option.

On other routes .(Newhaven) you just click through without selecting accommodation.

I have just checked!

I do hope the weather improves for your Vendee summer for yesterday was awful and today not that brilliant. Ok good couple of weeks not long ago but now miserable.

Our UK base is Bristol/Chepstow and our preferred route is always Caen Portsmouth then back overnight to St Malo. Ok cabin but good restaurant on board and a good nights sleep. Last time back in the UK was 2009 so do not know if BF standards are slipping? Hope not.

For us Le Havre is ok but hate the drive and to the port is like driving through an oil refinery and then Dieppe Newhaven and then Bristol. No thanks. It would be better to go to Plymouth Roscoff.

But of course a matter of personal choice. We have a trip back to the UK in July with BF cabin both ways and Caen Portsmouth then Portsmouth St Malo some £351 with members discount?

Thanks dragonrouge I hope the weather is better in the summer too but I also go to the vendee becasue I love it there and to be honest I will enjoy my self what ever the weather.

However, I am chaffing at the bit this week becasue its half term and have to stay in England when I want to be in France. We are having a bit of work done to the house and this one trip will go towards paying for it so will have to be patient until july. Only another 8 Weeks till the end of school :-) !!! But I will be picking my new tingow up next saturday so got somthing to look forward to.

I am now booked up for the summer crossings so can't wait.

We do have a weekend in Lille to look forward to in June taking our CC across to do a charity bed race and go to park asterix. Paid for with tesco club card points for every £10 got £40 for tunnel crossing and paid for all the parc asterix tickets too :-)

Judith