Electron cards again ...

Pickles

I don't see why it wouldn't but I think you'll find that the Caxton card can only be serviced from a UK Sterling A/C and therefore you will be exposed both to the exchange rate and currency conversion fees.

EDIT:

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/ryanair.asp

EDIT2:

From the Caxton site:

Q. Who can load money onto my account?

» answer

Your

Caxton currency card must be loaded from a UK debit card in your name.

It is not possible to load it from any other account.

After a little research I got this Mastercard from ICE.

http://www.iceplc.com/cgi-bin/live/ecommerce.pl?site=iceplc.com&state=page&page=cashcardindex&suppress_header=yes&menu=cashcard&dept_id=01&sub_dept_id=02

I've only used it once to test it in UK and it worked just fine. I can't remember precisely, but you get a hit of something like 1.5% when you load up the card - other wise no other fees at all.

Tried to get a Caxton pre paid Euro card online but it says you still have to be resident in UK.........................????????????????????

Why would you want a Euro card when you are based in UK for buying Ryanair flights that originate in Euro zone when you have to fly from UK to get there....

Simple question needs a simple answer.................does anyone know where i can get online a pre paid Mastercard for people who are resident in France...

[quote user="sharkhunter"]Simple question needs a simple answer.................does anyone know where i can get online a pre paid Mastercard for people who are resident in France...
[/quote]See my post of 03/04 22:47 [;-)]

Also these cards are not simply designed for Ryanair but can be of use in all sorts of situations and currencies.

Not a simple answer, sharkhunter, but what we did was pick up an Escape prepaid mastercard from phones 4 u using relatives address - no proof of residence needed, -loaded it with sterling  (no fee) and left the physical card with relative. We transfer cash to their account, they pay cash in phones 4 U shops. We have the account and card number here in france and use it for any online transactions that wont accept french address and for ryanair. No charges for use. Watch the £1 month dormancy charge if not used for 90 days.

Yes I know it means you have to start it off in UK (or get relative to register  in your name, no identity check involved as long as you pay cash) and either get relative to do top up or use UK bank for bank transfer, but once set up it's easy and has already saved us for four ryanair flights. (until they change the rules again!)

• 1 month later...
Sorry for dredging this one up again, but I came across something today that might be of interest to French-resident users of Ryanair. As you will know, in order to avoid the £5/€5 admin charge per person per sector, you now have to use a Prepaid Mastercard. I went with the Phones4U "Escape Prepaid Mastercard", but this is not easily accessible for non-UK residents.

I have come across Neteller (www.neteller.com) which provides both a free Prepaid MasterCard (for Ryanair use) and Virtual (one use) Mastercards which may be of interest to those wishing to do internet transactions without revealing your main credit/debit card details to all and sundry. Neteller had a bit of a chequered history in the US because it was allegedly) being extensively used by people seeking to hide their illegal online gambling gains, but since merging to form Neovia, it seems to be OK.

Regards

Pickles