CdG voted worst aeroport in the world

velcorin

I am sure there are worse places than CdG Terminal 1 (Atlanta springs to mind), but as a major international hub I can't think of any. Terminal 2 is newer, hence cleaner, but no better in terms of facilities. The only saving grace of T1 is the Hipopotamus on the bottom floor, where you can get a pretty reasonable meal by airport standards, but that's countered by the desert beyond security.

My travelling days were in the 1980s/early 2000s and I do remember a piece of the CDG building falling off and killing a number of people back then.

I thought it was adventurous when built but like many "fashionable" things it was not designed with the longer view in mind.

I still think that changing at LHR from T3 to anywhere alse was always a singularly negative experience.

There is also an interesting experience at Schipol to be had changing from flights from LHR to long-distance, You have to walk about ten miles.

Oh, and of course I can commend Lagos ... no airconditioning and only 10% of the lights working.

Same applies to CdG  terminal 2G to 2 anywhere else.  I was a bit worried about a 1 hour connection, but though 2G to 2F should not be too bad.  Inbound plane arrived a good 15 minutes early.  Outbound plane left late - and I still nearly missed it!

In my recent experience, CDG Terminal 3 is pretty crappy by European standards, just spent some time there ;  Impossible to get a Phone signal inside or even just outside the terminal building .I've never been in an airport where I can't use my phone.  Apathetic staff and expensive wifi which after paying for didn't work ( No chance of a refund either when asked) . It wouldn't have mattered if our flight hadn't been delayed for four hours, but hey ho .

For me there has to be a very good reason for using Heathrow and not just because I live near Gatwick.

Now Gatwick I find has two faces - travelling from the South Terminal is not a good experience but it is if travelling from the North Terminal.

Paul

I do agree that no airport is a pleasant experience for anybody who travels more than two or three times a year.

Southampton is definitely one of the better ones; I am also quite impressed with London City. The main Scandinavian ones - Oslo, Copenhagen etc are not too bad either. Gatwick is OK; it's close to our English house, but not usually very satisfactory if travelling on a budget airline. Heathrow, I agree, varies from dreadful to perfectly acceptable depending on the terminal used.

Time taken to go through security and the attitude of security guards seems to be a major difficulty with airports worldwide.