LD Lines closes Dover-Boulogne passenger service.

Will

I have just received a press release from LD Lines, stating that the company is ceasing its passenger service between Dover and Boulogne from 5th September, but it may continue as a freight service. LDA is apparently considering options for a reduced service between the two ports for unaccompanied freight only.

The full text of the release can be found here: http://www.ldlines.co.uk/actualites.php

Prices out of Dover are going to rise, they need to so that the ferries can survive.  There is currently massive overcapacity and the artificially low prices that currently exist are slowly going to disappear as the number of departures is slowly reduced, currently P&O are looking at reducing the size of their fleet once the two new ships enter service from Finland.  What will happen to Seafrance is anyones guess at the moment.

[quote user="Théière"]Well with a trip to do on 15th of September I just checked Ryanairs prices and it's a £5.00 inclusive and with a hire car for £142.07 I may just fly[/quote]

Would you like my wife to do the online booking for you Théière.[:D]

[quote user="Chancer"]

Whatever happened to Euroferries and what became of Speed one?

[/quote]

Euroferries [8-)], might help if they actually had something that was capable of carrying passengers !

SpeedOne is now Condor Rapide and will be doing service on the Guernsey / Jersey to St. Malo route.

[quote user="NickP"]

[quote user="Théière"]Well with a trip to do on 15th of September I just checked Ryanairs prices and it's a £5.00 inclusive and with a hire car for £142.07 I may just fly[/quote]

[/quote]

Err hang on let me think about that one..........[Www][:D]

[quote user="NickP"]

[/quote]

She certainly needs the practice and Ryanair always needs the error money.

John

I was booked to go back on 12th Sept.I have now booked on P&O.Will wait and see if I get compo from the company.They will be offering alt' sailings from St Malo and Dieppe. No good to me because I am going back to Kent.

I was told that LD LInes will transfer bookings to other ferry companies,but I cannot take the chance.

From my understanding of the situation, you are likely to be offered alternative sailings via Dieppe or Le Havre (not St Malo) plus money-off vouchers for future sailings, or alternatively a refund of money already paid. The arrangement between LD and other carriers applies when alternative travel is needed in case of short-notice cancellation or delay, and not when adequate notice of any change can be given. So you would probably be best off taking the refund and putting it towards your P&O fare.

Hi

What a bummer we are due back fom France on the 6th Sept, had a garbbled text message from LD this morning with a phone number, the woman speaking the message was talking so fast it was impossible to understand her/ recording, after several times, got the misses to listern neither could she.

Came on the email and found one from LD, I have told them to rebook us on the 6th from Dieppe, so will now have to wait and see what happens, I had rung the number on the ticket, where I was told they were stopping the service, are you going under I asked the guy, he said no,we are just giving up the Dover/Boulogne service.

Colin E

Hi

Futher to my last email, LD telephoned me, this afternoon to ask if I had had the message that our ferry had been cancelled on the 6th Sept, yes I said I have answered it on an email, the lady asked if I could wait a minute or two, yes thats ok I said, I told her I asked them to book me back from Dieppe, this was done there and then no fuss mess or charge. and have already recieved the new booking confirmation.

I believe she done well, thanks LD.

ColinE

I have tried so hard to support LD Lines on all their crossings, but we are forever getting messed about...

We are booked with them on a return trip Dover/Boulogne in October, but have heard nothing.

What is the general concensus of opinion - if I wait to book Dover/Calais when I eventually hear from LD, will P&O have put their prices up?

Or do I book P&O now and hope that I get a full refund from LD?

Likewise Mel, although the breakfast sausage was soooooo poor I had breakfast before I travelled so they lost money there as I emailed to them.

I would force the issue and get ahead of the others who will be bumped off LD to other carriers.  I was going to fly as RA had good rates all inc but I prefer sailing/driving as I can take all sorts of bits and bobs with me.

I noticed there are still very good rates from P&O and SF so find out what LD will do for you and book while you can.

The sailing times for Newhaven/Dieppe are not helpful either at the moment.

Bonjour Théière,

It is the Newhaven/Dieppe sailing times that are putting me off as we plan to have acouple of nights in Paris before heading onwards to 37...

But the advantage of Dieppe is the reduced driving time.

(Like you, flying is out as we like to take lots of bits and bobs with us and bring chinky things back!)

I just 'phoned LD and an unusually not-very-friendly member of staff gave me the options. I choose a refund and was quoted the amount of money I had paid would be refunded. I hardly see how they can take a £10 fee for something that is down to them.

Because of how she sounded, I asked if LD were in trouble and she said 'no, it is only the Boulogne route' - but she would say that wouldn't she?

And why has the Newhaven/Dieppe route been reduced to just one sailing per day? (Or have I got that wrong?)