French Air Traffic Control Strike - refund possible for cancelled flight?

My 2 daughters were due to fly today on Easyjet Luton to Bordeaux. The flight is cancelled & no more flights are scheduled on this line until Saturday.

Is there any way we will be reimbursed for the tickets even though Easyjet is not directly responsible ?

Thanks

[quote user="parischic"]My 2 daughters were due to fly today on Easyjet Luton to Bordeaux. The flight is cancelled & no more flights are scheduled on this line until Saturday.

Is there any way we will be reimbursed for the tickets even though Easyjet is not directly responsible ?

Thanks[/quote]

Yes. Go to the Easyjet website, click on "Latest travel information", select "London Luton" and click on "Check flight departures". You will then see a list of flights. Alongside the Bordeaux flight you have 2 options; "Free Transfer" (to another flight on the same route) or "Refund". Click on whichever you prefer. It does work - I made much use of it over Christmas ...

Regards

Pickles

My brother and sister in law had the same problem in June, when they couldn't fly back from Montpellier due to the air traffic control strike. As Pickles says, it's nice and straightforward, as we also found with Easyjet and Ryanair during the ash problems.

Their claim was more complicated, as they had to stay in France for 4 extra days and had incurred expenses. They needed to contact Easyjet a couple of times by email when claiming after their return home, and found they were very quick to respond. The hotel costs plus meals and drinks they had paid for were also met quickly.

However, as we had driven them to Montpellier and back (twice!), they claimed for petrol, which wasn't allowed, despite having the receipt for the correct date. If they had taken taxis they could have claimed for them - a much greater cost. My brother also had to get medication from the pharmacy; he'd taken 2 days extra supply, but didn't have quite sufficient. They weren't allowed to claim for that either.

After several emails and phone calls from them to Easyjet, they mentioned the small claims court; they had an immediate reply saying that on this occasion they would be reimbursed for the petrol and medication. The money arrived in their account swiftly.

Regarding the medication costs - I was standed for an extra 10 days (ain't life tough?) in April due to the volcano and had to spend €69 on urgent medications.

I claimed for this via my EHIC (formerly E111) and got the cost refunded - after a near 3 month wait of course!

I'm replying several days late... Thanks everyone for posting this v useful information - for which I'm very grateful. Sadly, in my case, my 2 daughters were making the journey from UK to attend their grandmother's funeral the following day, which they missed, so made it all the more difficult to accept - but that's another story.

So normally expenses for travel to & from the airport (made via public transport) should normally be reimbursed ? They kept the receipts...

Thanks

• 2 months later...
 Easyjet refunded us the cost of flights, journey to & from the airport & bank charges. So we actually ended up about  €12 in pocket for some strange reason !  Still very annoyed at the flight cancellation,  but very straightforward refund process and almost immediate refund....