A28 Petrol

Paul King

Hi All,

We are arriving at Calais at 10am on Tuesday morning (Oct 26th) and driving down the A16 and then A28 towards Tours - does anyone know if the petrol stations on this route still have petrol and wether we are likely to encounter any issues?

Many thanks

Paul.

[quote user="Paul King"]We are arriving at Calais at 10am on Tuesday morning (Oct 26th) and driving down the A16 and then A28 towards Tours - does anyone know if the petrol stations on this route still have petrol and wether we are likely to encounter any issues? [/quote]

The map below - link courtesy of Garden Girl - seems to indicate you might be best advised to arrive with a full tank of fuel; unless the situation changes before Tuesday next.

http://www.carbu.fr/iframe_stationsvides_v2.html?dep=62

Sue

On Friday GG's link was showing the petrol station at Les Haras (Aire near Gace) as being out of fuel whereas today it seems to have some so it looks as though deliveries are getting through.  I can get to LM on a tankful from Calais with fuel to spare but Tours might be pushing it in a gas guzzler.

My final destination is Bordeaux and I'm afraid that my car can only travel 300 miles on a full tank - hence Tours is normally where I fill up.

To be safe I would need to be sure of getting some petrol south of Le Man but north of Potiers.

Thoughts welcome!

Many thanks

Paul.

Well, as I say, the Aire at Gace is now showing as having fuel so if you filled up there you'd get a good bit further down towards Bordeaux.  But the situation is very volaltile so I would fill up whenever you find an Aire with any supplies - it's about but you need to be more cautious than usual, that's for sure.  My best advice would be to look at GG's site before leaving and note all the petrol stations along your route (wave your mouse over the motorway where there are flags showing and it will tell you if they are the service area ones or not) who don't have fuel then you can plan properly.

The map doesn't seem to be kept up to date.

Travelling back to Calais today we passed 6 motorway services. 5 of them had the full choice of fuels available and the 6th had everything except 98. This could be a temporary improvement in supplies I suppose with the blockades of the depots having been lifted - but presumably if the refineries are still not working then there won't be anything to replace what's being sold now.

On the plus side the traffic was extremely light on the autoroutes!

I keep the map on a lot of the time, and just refresh it occasionally. From what neighbours and friends tell me, it mostly seems about right; an email from somebody mentioning they filled up seems to match which petrol station isn't highlighted on the map, if you see what I mean. Carrefour locally seems to get deliveries fairly steadily, with Intermarche taking a couple more days.  However, the petrol station nearest our place has never been highlighted on the map; don't know why that should be! We're flying back on Wednesday, so I'll be able to see for myself!  [:)]

I travelled back late last night, to my eternal shame I brought over 40 litres in jerricans and topped off the tank at Dover.

Having paid over the (French) odds for the fuel I just had to check didnt I, - a bit like the Dirty Harry movie "I just got's to know!) so I kept an eye on the fuel stations on the way

The truck filling station at Calais had all fuels and no restrictions, all the autoroute services ditto, and also at least 2 of the filling staitons in my town, I wasnt going to check them all at 2 am.

So I now feel a total dickhead although now I know how much the pound has dropped its made the diesel not so much more expensive than in France.

Why is it that when the Uk refineries were blockaded we ran dry almost straight away yet in France there ha been little effect after a couple of weeks?

Perhaps all the tankers leave the refineries between mid-day and 14.30 when the strikers and CRS sit down together to eat! [6]

[quote user="chrisb"]The map doesn't seem to be kept up to date.
Travelling back to Calais today we passed 6 motorway services. 5 of them had the full choice of fuels available and the 6th had everything except 98. This could be a temporary improvement in supplies I suppose with the blockades of the depots having been lifted - but presumably if the refineries are still not working then there won't be anything to replace what's being sold now.

[/quote]It does rely on feedback from users.  The o/h just tried to get fuel in our village and couldn't so I "told" the website and it updated straight away.[:)]

I don't think you can say that there is very little effect. Here in Calvados there are still many garages without fuel and others rationing to 20 or 30 euros. I think the situation is slowly improving and priority has been given to the autoroutes, but seven or so departements still have major problems.

The "eternal shame" Powderesal is that until now I have never filled my tank until my car was running on fumes even whe there have been scares, the only exception being to fill up at Calais to put off buying expensive UK diesel for as long as possible.

I have paid for 90 litres at £1.19 of which only 1 litre did I need to get to the filling station at Calais or 7 litres to get to my property, where I could have filled up at €1.16.

I live on a very tiny budget and try to make every economy that I can, my prudence this time has tied up £50 in jerricans of diesel which I will not realistically use for a couple of months, I have also paid an extra £15 for this now unnecessary stock of fuel and the fuel in my vehicle tank.

Only a fool would not buy fuel as and when they can if on a long journey. It reminds me of how people go on about 'panic' buying just because people go out and fill up when they are able to.

No extra miles will be driven in times of shortage, if anything quite the opposite. The man who fills up on a Monday when his tank is already nearly full will simply not fill up a few days later when he would have otherwise. I don't know what all the fuss is about. There may be a finite amount of fuel but there is also a finite demand for fuel.

"I live on a very tiny budget and try to make every economy that I can,

my prudence this time has tied up £50 in jerricans of diesel which I

will not realistically use for a couple of months, I have also paid an

extra £15 for this now unnecessary stock of fuel and the fuel in my

vehicle tank."

[I]Chancer, dare I suggest that you could sell it "on the black"[8-|]

[quote user="Chancer"]

The "eternal shame" Powderesal is that until now I have never filled my tank until my car was running on fumes even whe there have been scares, the only exception being to fill up at Calais to put off buying expensive UK diesel for as long as possible.

I have paid for 90 litres at £1.19 of which only 1 litre did I need to get to the filling station at Calais or 7 litres to get to my property, where I could have filled up at €1.16.

I live on a very tiny budget and try to make every economy that I can, my prudence this time has tied up £50 in jerricans of diesel which I will not realistically use for a couple of months, I have also paid an extra £15 for this now unnecessary stock of fuel and the fuel in my vehicle tank.

[/quote]

Chancer,  on my return trip to the UK I might need to buy your diesel if I cannot find any near Descartes or can't get any heating oil.

[quote user="Etoile"] I don't know what all the fuss is about. There may be a finite amount of fuel but there is also a finite demand for fuel.[/quote]

Agree totally - unfortunately the logistics od delivery is not up to making the two match when a nation that drives with on average 1/3rd tank of fuel decides almost overnight it needs to drive with a full one.

[quote user="Etoile"]Only a fool would not buy fuel as and when they can if on a long journey.[/quote]

rather negates your final sentence whci I highlighted above.

I do think the whole thing has been hyped up however.  one in 4 fuel stations with no fuel means three in four do.  Ok maybe not as cheap or as local as your usual station but still plenty to be had.

the local paper yesterday was predicting Northern Isere would be totally dry following the Sunday with demand but no deliveries, and yet just over the border in Rhone, I had no problem filling up, and with no restrictions on amount.

A friend told me yesterday that his brother in law had queued for an hour and a half at the weekend, to buy diesel. How much extra fuel did he and the others in the queue burn, either with an idling engine going nowhere,or by turning the engine on and off scores of times? 

When I passed Auchan yesterday there must have been at least 200 vehicles in the fuel queue at lunchtime.

Just flew back to the Gard today. Our neighbours had a discussion over who would pick us up at the airport, as they all had lots of petrol/diesel! In the end English neighbours came for us. Both Carrefour and Intermarche had plenty of both diesel and petrol, a garage that hasn't featured on the website has plenty too. The car hire garage is out of everything for the first time, but as theirs is dearer, they've had plenty all this time!  [:)]

I just drove back from UK yesterday and things all seemed pretty normal.

Zeebrugge to Lille to Paris to Orleans, Chateauroux, Montauban, Albi then up into the mountains and I saw no queues for fuel. One station I stopped at had a sign up on each pump saying there was a 30 litre limit in force but I filled right up, intending to play the Ignorant Foreigner Card if questioned, and the teller never even mentioned it. Besides, the service stations along most of this journey route are rarely more than 70 or 80 kms apart.

As a footnote, with things returning gradually to normal (only 1 in 5 stations nationally are reported out of either diesel or petrol today) the Aire de la Dentelle at A28 Alençon north (exit 18) reportedly had fuel throughout the dispute with no restrictions on amount allowed, according to the daily updates on a fuel crisis forum.

[quote user="dave21478"] One station I stopped at had a sign up on each pump saying there was a 30 litre limit in force but I filled right up, intending to play the Ignorant Foreigner Card if questioned, and the teller never even mentioned it. [/quote]

That made me laugh!

I phoned my pal in France before returning and he tild me that all the pumps were limited to €30 and that jerricans were banned by an arret prefectoral, I said surely people will just got to the 24 hour pump at midnight, Oh no said he, they have CCTV and anyone that tries filling a jerrican will have the Gendarmes arrive in force.

Having got back I can see that the pumps are in fact "limited" by a similar piece of paper to the ones Dave saw and people are filling their tanks to the brim and jerricans also although I believe there is an arrêt in place.

It never ceases to amaze me how gullible, believing and obediant people are around here, my firend is one of the most educated, worldy wise and generally the biggest ducker and diver that I know (although all of these are relative terms) but he still rants and explodes with apoplexy about the expensive vapeur capture systems being installed in the filling stations as he is convinced that all the planes that land at our airport are made by law to dump all their fuel first (on his village[:)]). No amount of reasoned explanation can convince him otherwise.