Wish me Luck as you wave me Goodbye ............

Gardian

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its very tempting.....one care agency  keep moving a loose paving slab on the steps (it hasn't bothered numerous other people ) on health and safety grounds, a tad ironic as it was their staff who forgot to put the brakes on the commode, which meant that my mother ended up on the floor for several hours..... until the morning carers found her, luckily she had the presence of mind to pull the duvet over herself and the heating is on 'tropical' 24/7, but if she had broken her hip it could have been the end of her. Incidence like that are routinely reported to social services, but I doubt they do anything.

PS Its snowing again here.

[quote user="Richard51"][quote user="KathyF"]

We live up in the hills of Mid-Wales and after 36 hours of snow "showers" we now have at least 10" overall, plus modest drifts in our lane. (Thank goodness the wind dropped early on is all I can say!) We're not going anywhere for a day or two at least. [:)]

[/quote]

KathyF,  I have just taken up a 12 month contract in Powys and have to get there for 8.30am Mon - what's the situation like in Wales atm and what is the local forecast for the next 48hrs?

Heading for Newtown, Powys from Staffs

Mrs R51
[/quote]

Have emailed you - good luck with the journey.

We've just got back from a lovely lunch in a pub in deepest Hampshire. Unfortunately, one of our sons and his partner didn't make it from Hastings.

Due to terrible weather yesterday, they decided to leave setting out until this morning. They loaded up with all the things worried Mum listed - shovel, flask of coffee, food, water, lots of warm spare clothes, sheets of cardboard, chocolate (we were used to travelling in rural Staffordshire and Derbyshire in an ancient mini for years!) - plus their own idea of lucozade. They made it up and down the hills from their drive to the main road with little difficulty, had no problems on A21, but they came unstuck on arriving at M25 - no prior warning on travel radio, but found it coned off due to an overturned oil lorry, which must have occurred shortly beforehand, as cones were being added and a lot more police arrived. They were directed round to the other direction, towards Maidstone. Kent was apparently dreadful, so they decided to head back to Hastings.

I was relieved to receive a text telling me they were heading home, as I had been so worried - but they are 30-somethings, and make their own minds up, even though he's still my little boy! The whole party toasted them at 12.30, having texted in advance so they'd know they were in our thoughts. I was even more relieved to get a call at about 3pm to say they'd just pulled on to the drive.

If you're travelling anywhere this Christmas, take care.

My daughter and family (2 under 5s and 2 adults) are travelling from Northampton to Bangor in Wales on Tuesday evening. The next day they have to catch the ferry to Ireland to spend time with the in-laws for Christmas. I am praying that the snow goes before then as I will be so worried until I hear they get to Limerick on Wednesday night!!

Oh, Goose, that is a lot of travelling now that the weather's so bad - and more expected tonight and over the next few days, along with freezing nights! I'd counsel lots of useful things in the car like my son had - difficult with a couple of little ones and all their presents and 'stuff' to pack in though!  [:)]

I'd also suggest a back-up plan, and I'm sure they'll be sensible enough to decide to give the idea up if the weather does worsen. I'm more worried about ice than about snow, which is bad enough!

We're meant to be heading off on Eurotunnel on Thursday, happily just a short distance in France to reach our destination. We're considering travelling on Wednesday, as at the moment the forecast is for more snow on Wednesday night and Thursday. I'm looking at a Holiday Inn nearby - I know I can cancel up to 4pm if I don't want to use the room. It might not be any help to your family, but it's worth bearing in mind - hole up in a hotel if things get back. Good luck for their journey - hope they travel safely.  [:)]

[quote user="goose"]I am praying that the snow goes before then as I will be so worried until I hear they get to Limerick on Wednesday night!![/quote]It will take a lot more than prayers to be rid of the snow by Tuesday Carol but try and chill, there is nothing to be gained by fretting yourself over something which you have absolutely no influence or control over.

Although it's quite probable that their journey will be fraught and tedious because they will almost certainly be be driving far more slowly and cautiously than normal it could in fact turn out to be a safer one [kiss].

Our removal chap is stuck in the roads around Paris at the moment so I'll wait to see if he manages to turn up tomorrow as arranged.  He tells me he has to get down to Biarritz so I'm hoping he will be doing his utmost to get our move done or he might be spending Christmas in his lorry, poor man!

Teapot, I was going to PM you and now I'll just come on to say Happy Christmas to you and your family and also to offer my condolences for your MIL's death.

Yeah, if lorry doesn't turn up, I have Plan B, so no great shakes!

Rose, didn't I tell you I was "given" a camino house as I signed for it the afternoon before I left for the camino and I reckoned that I got it to stop me faffing about and fretting about a new house in order that I could concentrate on the spiritual aspects of the camino![:D]

Then after I came home, we completed the purchase....see, easy when it's all meant to be and you aren't going against the grain!

I'm to the north of you and I will send you a PM before Coops' trip so that I would expect to be "invited" if anyone is meeting her for lunch?[;-)]

But don't worry if you don't hear for a while as I'm not sure about internet access in the new house.  Having said that, I shall be back and forth a bit. 

You and Greyman and all your family have a fab Christmas and I shall continue to think of you and hope that the nasty Big C will leave you for good!

Oh, Wools, so PD with you already?  Formidable.....!

Being nice?  Look, I don't want to disenchant you but just enjoy it whilst you can!  They can just about-turn when it suits them and give you some grief!

But, be perfectly honest, weren't you a little horror to your own parents in your time as PS (Prodigal Son)?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I'm to the north of you and I will send you a PM before Coops' trip so that I would expect to be "invited" if anyone is meeting her for lunch?[;-)]

[/quote]

it wouldn't be lunch without you!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

You and Greyman and all your family have a fab Christmas and I shall

continue to think of you and hope that the nasty Big C will leave you

for good!

[/quote]

You ands yours too... have a wonderful Christmas... and we'll be wishng for the same things [:$]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Its very tempting.....one care agency  keep moving a loose paving slab on the steps (it hasn't bothered numerous other people ) on health and safety grounds, a tad ironic as it was their staff who forgot to put the brakes on the commode, which meant that my mother ended up on the floor for several hours..... until the morning carers found her, luckily she had the presence of mind to pull the duvet over herself and the heating is on 'tropical' 24/7, but if she had broken her hip it could have been the end of her. Incidence like that are routinely reported to social services, but I doubt they do anything.

PS Its snowing again here.

[/quote]

Yet again a disgraceful example of thread drift

This is in the section Travelling to and From France, and it is by a Moderator!