Cheap diesel

briwy

Diesel at Intermarche at Chatterault was 1.20/litre on Monday.

Filled up here before and it always seems to be around 10cents /litre cheaper than the motorway services.

Its just off the motorway from the A10 Chatterault North junction, well worth pulling off if you need a tankful.

On the rare occasions we do drive to UK, or anywhere requiring a fuel stop for that matter, we always make a point of using the sat nav to find 'off motorway' fuel.

We also leave plenty of time to do it too, often the reason I suspect others don't do likewise and end up paying top dollar [;-)]

P P P P P P [8-|]

We travel down to 31 5 times a year and always (with one exception) refuel off of the motorway - and normally find that the difference is far greater than 0.10 euros.

You can also use Viamichelin to show where fuel is available and it also shows the cost of fuel.

The one exception was our journey down in late November. Fueled cheaply before getting on to the A20 but then stopped at a couple of motorway services to top up the tank so that we were full should we get stuck anywhere and needed to run the engine to keep warm.

For anyone interested we either fuel on the A154 at L'Eclerc at nonancourt just before Dreux or at one of the supermarkets off of the ring road around Chartres and then again as we are driving away from Limoges at the suprmarket that is just off of the exit before the road reverts to 130kph.

Paul

I don't know if there would be any difference although I would expect it to be fractional if there were. However, on the basis that fuel savings can be 20c/lt or more, a fill up of say 40lt at a 10c cheaper will save you €4 and no way can it possibly cost anywhere near that simply to leave and rejoin the peage.

If you are worried about that then plan your fuel detour for non peage sections [;-)]

I'm interested too !

I know it's not a defintive answer but I put a trip into Viamichelin from Calais to Beaune, toll cost £31.55. Added a stopover in Troyes and the toll costs went up to £37.81. Which indicates that there is an increase in costs if you pull off the Autoroute.

Personally I can't be bothered pulling off the motorway to go to a supermarket filling station. It would turn into a shopping trip and add another hour to the journey time, if I'm lucky !

funny that this should have been mentioned, a few years ago I was travelling to Spain driving an artic, encountered an accident on the auto route, held up in a queue for ages eventually being chucked off the motorway at the next peage, so after passing the toll booth one of the other lorry drivers was waving at me basically to rejoin the auto route it was now clear , so basically I left the AR drove to the roundabout and rejoined at the same junction, when I did the calculations for my expenses I found by doing that my toll bill was less than it would have been if I had not left the motorway, mind you it was, from memory, just a few centimes/1 euro max difference, but there was a difference. Took me a while to work it out, as I had travelled the same route for a number of years and knew the normal tolls between booths, so yes there is a possibility that there may be a bit of truth in that, but the cost is very minimal, probably used more in fuel with the delay and diversion than the toll though!!, but it has always made me wonder.

Have spent many a happy hour getting off the motorway looking for fuel, and buying fuel in the UK or France was  (unless urgent) was strictly off limits.Always had to buy in Spain or if in the east of france Luxembourg, never a problem ciggys and baccy was cheaper too (for my own consumption of course)[Www]