Carte de Sejour/Visa Question, American married to EU citizen

snorgle

Hello,

I am currently working on a temporary contract as an English language assistant at a French school.  I am in the process of getting a carte de sejour, which I am told will expire one month after the end of my contract.  I have read on other forums that I, as the spouse of an EU citizen, am entitled to live and work in France.  However, I don't actually know what I would need to do to remain in France.

Do I actually need to wait until my first carte de sejour expires, leave the country, re-enter on an EU spouse long-term visa, and then go through the process of getting another carte de sejour?  Or could there possible be an easier way to do this?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

How come you didn't bring this up at the préfecture when applying for your first cds?  Either way, your best bet would be to ask them and not listen to what you read on the internet, as at the end of the day, they will be the ones deciding, and each préfecture tends to have their own way of doing things.

Not suprisingly, the people at the prefecture haven't exactly been forthcoming with information.  It took a week for them to let me know what documents I need to bring to them!!  ... then another week for them to tell me whose stamp they require on the translated copy of my birth certificate.

Also, after my contract runs out in May, my husband and I would like to move to a different region of France...  Does doing so alone mean that I'd have to re-do this process?

Thanks again for anyone who can offer any info.

[quote user="snorgle"]Not suprisingly, the people at the prefecture haven't exactly been forthcoming with information.  It took a week for them to let me know what documents I need to bring to them!!  ... then another week for them to tell me whose stamp they require on the translated copy of my birth certificate.

Also, after my contract runs out in May, my husband and I would like to move to a different region of France...  Does doing so alone mean that I'd have to re-do this process?

Thanks again for anyone who can offer any info.

[/quote]

Hon, a week is nothing - that's actually quite fast for the préfecture!  And moving to another region will only make things worse, and will pretty much ensure that you will have to go back to the US and get a long-stay visa and then redo the carte de séjour process.  Whereas if you stay where you're at, there is a small chance that they will just let you change types of cds's without going back, but again, it will all depend on the person you ask and what kind of mood they're in that day.