Travel Documents

Mr C

I am intrigued, I do not think Wikipedia is the be all and end all but it is probably better than a Marie in the sticks of which you already have concerns.

I hope you never have to rely on the B.C. to ensure your daughter has any of the benefits of French citizenship.

If you think you are correct about citizenship and right abode being conferred by birth in another EU country I would be grateful if you could post links to a more robust source.

Anton I was dubious as to the nationality of the child but was assured by the OP that there was no problem.

Frankly I still have doubts that the provisions of Art 19-3 of the Code Civil are complied with by the parents such as to give the baby french nationality.

Article 19-3

Est français l'enfant né en France lorsque l'un de ses parents au moins y est lui-même né.

But I suppose the OP will now declare....that he forgot to tell me that one of the parents had been born in france but then had gone to the UK and become a British Citizen or indeed perhaps one of these dual-nationality situations.

If both parents are British by birth then...a twinge of amusement.

We were in a queue at the Mairie listening to this sort of scenario. As I understood it neither parent was a French citizen but were resident in France and the baby was born in France. The parents were told that the child has an automatic right to take up French citizenship at the age of 16. Meanwhile the citizenship follows that of one of the parents.

Apologies if I have misunderstood. I think the Mairie is the first port of call

You know what, pachapapa? People come here for help and guidance from those who know more. Clearly you prefer to ridicule and for that reason, I will not continue in this thread.

I am very unhappy about that, but I find your snide suggestions offensive.

[quote user="Mr C"]You know what, pachapapa? People come here for help and guidance from those who know more. Clearly you prefer to ridicule and for that reason, I will not continue in this thread. I am very unhappy about that, but I find your snide suggestions offensive.[/quote]

You posted your wiki assertion at 17:58 and Anton continued to query by requesting a more robust support.

At 20:47 as a result of you still not having posted robust support; the matter was clarified by the best and most robust support available, namely the Codified Law of the French Republic duly in force on the 14th Janvier 2011. I regret that it is not to your liking.

Dear Mr C,

Here is the definitive answer

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F295.xhtml

Children born in France of non-French parents automatically  acquire French nationality at the age of 18, they may apply for it at the age of 13, if they have been resident in France for 5 consecutive years.

You will need a British passport for your baby to travel to the UK, more importantly, to return to France.  I've been through it, it kills to pay for a British passport every 5 years for my 2 who were born here and have never lived in the UK - rarely visited for that matter, however, the law is clear, they are British for now.  Incidentally I have also taken the precaution of registering (and paying another astronomical amount for a UK birth certificate) their births at the Consulate, just in case.  That way they are free to make their own decisions when they are old enough.

Congraatulations on the baby and have a great trip!

Ladoix - thank you... that's the kind of thing I was looking for... a definitive answer, easy to follow, and from a forum member who doesn't have his or her head stuck up their a*se. What a shame everyone here isn't as nice, welcoming, and helpful than everybody else.

You'll see I've been here since 2005 when I moved out, but I don't feel the need to post often - mainly as I can answer my own questions, and I realise that I am not very qualified to answer others - it's a shame others don't think the same.

pachapapa would seem to be lost for other occupation at present and has been disecting many posts recently, I suspect this is for want of something else to do! [8-|]

In his defence he can and has given some really useful technical information in the past. [:)]

Mr C I am glad you have the answers you require and wish you bon voyage avec les petits.[:)]

[quote user="Cendrillon"]pachapapa would seem to be lost for other occupation at present and has been disecting many posts recently, I suspect this is for want of something else to do! [8-|]
In his defence he can and has given some really useful technical information in the past. [:)]

Mr C I am glad you have the answers you require and wish you bon voyage avec les petits.[:)]
[/quote]

Thank you for your kind words of commiseration; I am happy to report that the abscess on a molar with painful swelling has now subsided and I feel well on the way to full recovery. On friday with the return of clement weather and immediately got myself in to a legal conundrum which could happily give me something "else" to do in the coming months. Contrary to the Mr C's assertion in his original post stated

"and is a French citizen by birth..."

My initial reply to MrC, which was in fact the second post on the thread, was directed towards this extraordinary assertion; I accordingly introduced my initial post with a condition expressed as follows..."IF THE CHILD IS FRENCH".

Please note below a copy of my initial post with an official french government link outlining clearly to the administrative procedure for gallic offspring. I also suggested a visit to the Sub Prefecture rather than the Mairie as would be normal due to my doubts as to the administrative situation of the parents.

If the child is french, I would say a french passeport is essential, a french identity card might be sufficient in the Schengen area but I doubt it for the UK. Frankly I dont think there is an easy solution minors can not be added to a passport.I suggest you contact your local Subprefecture at the earliest. Interesting case keep us informed.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F1922.xhtml

Please forgive me typing passeport instead of passport  but my brain switches from french to english in accordance with external prompts. I have long since given up trying to use my mind to coerce it in to staying in a particular language. 

[quote user="Russethouse"]Mr C, while I have a certain sympathy with your comments I have to say that if everyone posted as infrequently as you or actually when they only had a question, there probably wouldn't be an active forum at all. [:)][:)][/quote]

Have you also considered the possibility there are many who are put off posting for fear of being on the receiving end of the sarcastic / arrogant  attitude of some people on here?

[quote user="Cendrillon"]pachapapa would seem to be lost for other occupation at present and has been disecting many posts recently, I suspect this is for want of something else to do! [8-|]
[/quote]

....... not forgetting the complete and utter rubbish as well!

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

[/quote]

....... not forgetting the complete and utter rubbish as well!

[/quote]

I would hope that occasionally there is something useful but I have never posted anything that I believed to be COMPLETE and UTTER RUBBISH.

I wonder if you would be good enough to select in your opinion the worst case of "complete and utter rubbish" which is for you unforgettable and I will immediately check it out. There seems no point in burdening the board with thousands of examples; people presumably have other things to do. If we could consider the WORST CASE initially it would give useful yardstick of measurement.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

[quote user="Russethouse"]Mr C, while I have a certain sympathy with your comments I have to say that if everyone posted as infrequently as you or actually when they only had a question, there probably wouldn't be an active forum at all. [:)][:)][/quote]

Have you also considered the possibility there are many who are put off posting for fear of being on the receiving end of the sarcastic / arrogant  attitude of some people on here?

[/quote]

With this I must concur, and sorry to move the post off topic slightly.  I too have sometimes wished to post, and decided against, after some well-meaning (perhaps) but misguided comment has made me feel a fool.  As with others, I have other things to do.....

And it took me a long time to get enough courage to make my first post...

It often seems to me that some people cannot let go, loose face, or some such other.

Better to part gracefully, for a while, when that happens!

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

Well for starters, how about this this topic,

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/2392492/ShowPost.aspx#2392492

Then without boring myself wading back through 2000+ posts - topics such as GPS, incorrect use of hawser cable in the marine environment, and more. 

[/quote]

The thread is still active and I may contribute again in the future but I can see no complete and utter rubbish; just some comments on what I do in my own domaine. However I did mention the year 1997 this was earlier than I thought; I have just checked the white hose on the hob and it says replace before 2002. The chrome braided shower hoses do not have any date on them so I presume they last longer.